AMK will release a MiG-31!

Over weathered for my taste as well. But the key word is taste - I am sure many modellers love this kind of look and this is not a critique corner ;)/>

The fact is, this modeller built the mighty MiG in just around 3 weeks - that says a lot about the ease of build of this model.

+1

"Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus." Dragon has shipped my copy and it is scheduled to arrive via UPS by end-of-the-day on Thursday. Although with UPS here in Manhattan, that literally could be 12 midnight. Therefore, it may actually end up being delivered by a jolly old guy in a red and white suit! At this point, I am just stoked to finally be able to see with mine own eyes, what AMK hath wrought! Happy holidays to all! Here's to an even brighter New Year, with lots of goodies for all! :banana:

Rick

UPS delivered early and I now have this amazing kit in my hot little hands! I can honestly say that the pics I've seen don't truly show the gem that this kit is. The detail is simply superlative, the engraving extremely fine and the choice of subject matter is second to none. I can barely wait until AMK sets its sights on some of the other subjects that are sorely missing in quarter scale, such as a B-45 Tornado, C-123 Provider, FllF Tiger, OV-10 Bronco or a Super Mystere! Great job guys, keep up the good work.

Rick

???

http://ipmsnymburk.com/forum/pictforclanek/1450524408.jpg

Translation is basically, the decal numbers don't match the instructions, but you can tell what goes where based on the shapes.

Now, it appears that the builder is using aftermarket stencil decals released by HGW, and that the problem lies with HGW's stencils, not the kit decals. (ie. looking at pics of the kit decals and instructions, the numbers seem to match) The main difference being HGW's markings are 'wet transfers', so no decal film.

What confuses me is, HGW's sheet looks *exactly* the same as the AMK decals. The insignia markings are a little different, but the stencil layout is *identical*. Right down to the AMK copyright on the sheet: http://hgwmodels.cz/en/wet-transfers/497-mig-31-bmbsm-stencils-148-248021.html Which is incredibly suspicious; normally that means it's a direct rip-off. And yet, clearly it's not just a scan-and-print, since the locating numbers are different, which means they've re-drawn at least part of the decal sheet. So... WTF?

Received my MiG-31 from Sprue Brothers yesterday, Wowweeee!!!!!!! What a beautiful mold, going to build up nicely, me thinks. A Su-34 with this kind of treatment would make me very Happy! Thank you Martin!!!

John

Great John! So glad you like it. Thanks for saying so!

???

http://ipmsnymburk.com/forum/pictforclanek/1450524408.jpg

Translation is basically, the decal numbers don't match the instructions, but you can tell what goes where based on the shapes.

Now, it appears that the builder is using aftermarket stencil decals released by HGW, and that the problem lies with HGW's stencils, not the kit decals. (ie. looking at pics of the kit decals and instructions, the numbers seem to match) The main difference being HGW's markings are 'wet transfers', so no decal film.

What confuses me is, HGW's sheet looks *exactly* the same as the AMK decals. The insignia markings are a little different, but the stencil layout is *identical*. Right down to the AMK copyright on the sheet: http://hgwmodels.cz/en/wet-transfers/497-mig-31-bmbsm-stencils-148-248021.html Which is incredibly suspicious; normally that means it's a direct rip-off. And yet, clearly it's not just a scan-and-print, since the locating numbers are different, which means they've re-drawn at least part of the decal sheet. So... WTF?

I’ll bring this up with AMK in Macau.

Martin!!!

do you really have time to be here? You should be pushing the Tom Cat molds and measuring my F100d right now<G>!!

gary

Hah! I leave that to Mr Sio who is the expert. I just sell them globally and do the marketing and development for AMK. Don’t worry though, everything gets fed back.

Martin, your sig states, "next F-14" But I though the Super Entendard was getting well along the way. Could you let us know which is next?

I expect the MiG-31B/BS to be up next then the SuE. I believe that is the plan so far.

Tomcat should be next up on the block..

As above I believe. Things may get changed around because of KittyHawk and Kinetic but I will await instructions from Mr. Sio on that.

Hah! I leave that to Mr Sio who is the expert. I just sell them globally and do the marketing and development for AMK. Don’t worry though, everything gets fed back.

I expect the MiG-31B/BS to be up next then the SuE. I believe that is the plan so far.

As above I believe. Things may get changed around because of KittyHawk and Kinetic but I will await instructions from Mr. Sio on that.

Why nobody is mentioning MiG-25! I would love to see it before F-14 ! (duck)

:rolleyes:

the AMK MiG-31 got released already.. what does it matter which way the topic goes now?

can't you just READ the topic title please.

there is still another AMK 1/48 MiG-31 kit that hasn't been release yet.

there could be useful info related to the AMK MiG-31 that can be posted.

like upcoming dedicated aftermarket stuff... tweaks that could be shared... info like the decal stencils "coincidence" shown above, that could be share...

but what you or anyone else wanted for next AMK release is unwanted here. there is plenty of other topic to do so...

Any rumours out there that an aftermarket company are doing some Pitot tubes and like details for the MiG 31? Those fittings on the tube of the nose radome pitot look so fine and delicate, would be nice to have them in photo-etch.

i wouldn't be surprise to see something pops from "Master-model" from Poland... they are very active and cover most of 1/48 subjects that are produced...

Edited by mingwin

Any rumours out there that an aftermarket company are doing some Pitot tubes and like details for the MiG 31? Those fittings on the tube of the nose radome pitot look so fine and delicate, would be nice to have them in photo-etch.

double post sorry.

Edited by mingwin

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Master Model didn't release a pitot, and if they don't Dream Factory or Mini World almost certainly will. It'll probably take a couple of months, though.

We collaborate with everyone we can. Aftermarket kit manufacturers are given the kit very early on so they can do their magic.

I have to agree with Mingwin here though guys, this really is a MiG-31 thread. Technically it is a MiG-31B/BM thread as the new early version MiG-31B/BS will be out very very soon. Factory is just finishing the boxing up. Almost ready to release for sale to importers. They will be getting a heads up in the next week or so I expect.

Canopy seals/framing coming in January from Furball Aero-Design. Printed by Cartograf they will be printed to FS 31158 (except for the white center panel) unless someone has a better choice.

MIG-31%2048-052.jpg

Cool!Although it should be lighter and more 'pinkish' than mentioned FS31158? Desert pink?

Edited by Petarvu

If i am being completely frank; FS 31158 is a terrible choice.

The way i see if there are three FS color candidates;

FS 31630:

http://federalstandard595.com/?s=31630

FS 31638:

http://federalstandard595.com/?s=31638

FS 31669:

http://federalstandard595.com/?s=31669

I think first two are the best ones. As Gabor said it varies (not too much though, from what i have seen) depending on the mix. Here are two pictures to compare to;

j6i1E8n.jpg

UFFlC3M.jpg

Either way i have never ever seen it in FS 31158 like shade.

Edited by Berkut