AMK will release a MiG-31!

LOL we liked to mix it HOT! if you used the prescribed amount of hardner it took too long to cure and would smear in flight.

I second that! Not fun trying to clean the smear off after it dried in flight especially if it got on the canopy! I usually went for a dark gunship gray or darker. And 3M tape to mask the panel lines! No free hand slob jobs like the Russkies! Engine firewall sealant was red though with clear eye drop type hardener

MEK was your best friend to remove sealant not yet hardened till they removed it from the supply system. It will even soften newly hardened stuff enough to slowly scrap off with a phenolic tool. Wonder solvent but not too good on the body

Edited by torchf4
  • 5 months later...

Ok I know this is an old thread but I have only now seen the AMK MiG-31BM in the flesh this week.

We had our last club meeting for the year on Tuesday and one of our members brought in the kit that he recently bought. So now I finally get to see and touch what everyone has been raving about for the last few months. What else can I say but WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Now I know what all of the excitement has been about. The packaging was amazing too with the missiles in their own box. Great idea. To be honest I am surprised the whole box was not bigger as it sure was stuffed. The kit is a work of art if you ask me. I was putting off getting the kit and now with two versions out it will make it even harder to decide.

Thank you once again Martin for producing such a great model and I cannot wait for your next releases. Will need to start saving my pennies for whatever AMK releases.

Edited by skyhawk174

Have to agree - just got my MiG-31B/BS (the second AMK boxing) through today and it's grrrreat.

Pink sealant decals for the canopy, for which two sets of parts are supplied, one set in clear and another set in tinted plastic.

G-Factor LG arrived yesterday. Not up to the standard of the kit, with very peculiar NLG which will require surgery and one anaemic MLG leg which will need a lot of careful filling. First time I've had any problems from G-Factor.

Tony

Have to agree - just got my MiG-31B/BS (the second AMK boxing) through today and it's grrrreat.

Pink sealant decals for the canopy, for which two sets of parts are supplied, one set in clear and another set in tinted plastic.

G-Factor LG arrived yesterday. Not up to the standard of the kit, with very peculiar NLG which will require surgery and one anaemic MLG leg which will need a lot of careful filling. First time I've had any problems from G-Factor.

Tony

Did not even know G Factor made landing gear for this beast. When ever I looked at their stuff it was always 1/32nd. Will have to go check it out.

Problems with the G-Factor set are discussed in this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001982-mig-31bbs-foxhound-148-what-again/

Jon

in Kansk were named another one MiG-31BMs - Viktor Prudnikov, in memory of passed away ex-commander of regiment. It is MiG-31BM, board number 12, RF-90893

71911d1466787520-img_1285.jpg

71912d1466787521-img_1286.jpg

BTW - this name were already printed in our decal.

Edited by kotey

One question, does anyone have a picture of the area on the Intakes. There is a large door on the top of the intake and it looks as if there are avionics inside and the interior is very interesting and turquoise/black.

So any walkaround with open panels on the Intakes or engine??

Thanks for watching

T.

• 2 weeks later...

It really puzzles me....this kit is among the best 48th scale A/C kit of the decade, everything is perfect with it, exept a couple of dents on the top fuselage at the wingroots, i have studied photos and videos but its only on this model and without any obvious reason, why? it seems to me they have been made so on purpose by AMK, could anyone with better knowledge, please confirm that they should/should not be there?

Bjørn

hi Bjørn

i've taken a look at my two MiG-31 kits (both variants) and i see no dents on part B2 (top fuselage/wingroot part) could you post a picture of your part. maybe there was a molding/demolding problem with your kit.

Simon

Edited by mingwin

Hi, Simon, sorry, i am too stupid to compute, seems i can`t insert pics from my computer files.....pictures i have taken shows the dents and if they aren`t there on your models, maybe i should get in touch with AMK to get it replaced, problem is that i have assembled the wings....

Bjørn

Those dents are possible to putty, problem is that the aftmost of three square "stiffners" has to be rebuildt. It is so strange that this problem exists, there is no reason those dents should be there, the internal brace misses the center of the dents, hope this problem is only on my model.

Bjørn

Hi, Simon, sorry, i am too stupid to compute, seems i can`t insert pics from my computer files.....pictures i have taken shows the dents and if they aren`t there on your models, maybe i should get in touch with AMK to get it replaced, problem is that i have assembled the wings....

Bjørn

to upload a picture on this forum, it has to be upload to an image server first (i use Photobucket website for this very purpose, for example)...a matter of security and server host space for ARC Forums

then, you can insert them here.

don't feel stupid, it happen to everyone here, at least once...at the beginning.smile.gif

Edited by mingwin

Those dents are possible to putty, problem is that the aftmost of three square "stiffners" has to be rebuildt. It is so strange that this problem exists, there is no reason those dents should be there, the internal brace misses the center of the dents, hope this problem is only on my model.

Bjørn

by reading your comment, it seems obvious that you are the unlucky customer of a defective part kit...

take a picture, if possible upload it here... or maybe contact the reseller of the kit to get a replacement part. we'll see if AMK has a good after-sale network service.

keep us informed70.gif

Edited by mingwin

The MiG-31BM i am building (production 0002) did not have any dents at wingroot and neither does my unbuilt BM/BSM or the B/BS kits i have. The only sinkmarks i have seen have been on top of the vertical tails, and that is fixed in the B/BS boxing.

I have the upper fuselage of my (second production batch?) kit in front of me right now, and I don't see any dents either. There are some slight flow marks at the front of the LERX, but they're smooth. There are also a couple of 'scarred' areas at the edge of the attached wing on the starboard side: a small ~2 mm square spot just in front of the notch for the flap (beside the two rows of rivets) is slightly raised and will probably need to be filed down; and a larger area where the wing fence and leading edge flap meet where they seem to have repaired a nick in the tooling (there is a definite mark inside - maybe .5 mm square, very slightly raised but with a small gap at the front, almost like they filled a hole), but it probably won't be visible under primer, and would only need a swipe with sandpaper at worst.

Other than that... there is some visible sinking above the square flap locating slots that will need a touch of filler, but it's not really around any detail, so no big deal. And I can see a very faint shadow of the 'grid' inside the wings, but no sink lines and nothing that will be visible once painted.

Also interesting to note... looking inside the upper fuselage, *most* of the plastic is shiny and shows visible machining marks... but a couple of sections have a different texture - smooth and matte. I'm assuming they had to modify the tooling. Even more interesting, there is a small patch of the smoother, matte plastic on the starboard wing that seems to correspond with the scarred patch on top. I wonder if they had to adjust the attachment point for the leading edge flap...

Thanks, i will learn to photobucket, i don`t think i am the only one with this problem, it`s too obvious, but i will fix it myself, this model is too good to bother AMK with an request for replacement, as i have started it already. I will upload pictures when i have learned to do so.

The model i have is B/BS 88008, i have no clue what production number it is.

Bjørn

honnestly i don't see very well surface detail... some dust, a body hair... but no dent. ...are you referring to what seems to be some "surface depression" near the tail hole/ aft reinforcement plate?

I see what you mean. And my kit is the same. I'm pretty sure it's intentional, though: the strengthening ribs directly underneath the depressions would keep things rigid. And if the part got smooshed while the plastic was still warm, the ribs would be deformed as well... but they're not.

So whether or not they exist on the real plane, I'd have to assume AMK designed the parts that way. It's REALLY tough to confirm from reference photos, though.

There seems to be a slight dip visible in front of the vertical tails on this pic, maybe?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/MiG-31BM_on_the_MAKS-2009_(01).jpg

This one looks pretty much smooth, though:

http://i.imgur.com/G1KEiSB.jpg

And I can't decide what this one shows. :):

http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2014/02/09/250647/eb27449ed179f66a11cf247d65a4d7fd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked at every photo out there(i think) and it is pretty clear to me, that dent should not be there.

There is an slight elevation in front and aft of the dent, that actually makes it easier to fix, just by sanding that area down, it might not even need filler.

My B/BS also has some slightly shrinking on the top of the stabs, but it is so little, that i dont regard it as a problem.

This kit goes so well together, with such precision, i am so impressed.

Bjørn

Just received the B/BM kit last week, really nice kit, not bothered much by the panel line, only one small issue puts me down a bit, otherwise it would certainly be one of the "perfect" kits for me. It's the shape of the forward canopy, the real thing has a slight downward curve, especially noticeable in an angle like this, the kit one is a bit too cylindrical/flat:

http://aviationphotodigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/MiG-31-Foxhound-12-1024x683.jpg

Edited by delide
  • 2 weeks later...

OK so Sio listened and we will be producing an Upgrade Kit for the original release of the BM/BSM.

Upgraded PE fret with seatbelts and Zaslon radar

Metal Undercarriage (die-cast)

Upgraded decal sheet

Tinted canopy

Pictures coming on our Facebook page.

So let the games begin.

This should make a great kit an even greater kit.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models