AMK will release a MiG-31!

Foxmulder, Thank you very much for opinion! The bending of PE is a great idea!

But technically, we cannot make it! According to the dimensions of R-77, the thickness of the fins should about 1.00 mm. With our technology for PE, the maximum thickness with through holes, is about 0.25 mm. That means, even we bend 2 PE together (only 0.50 mm thick), it is only half of the thickness of the real fins. Then, we need to put 2 bended PE together to have 1.00 mm thickness. This is extremely difficult for modellers to glue it together. We choose not to do so.

One more consideration, at the position you bend the PE, there will a line looks like round shape, which is not appeared in the real fins. If you file/sand it off, the PE may separate into 2 pieces again. This may be another headache for modellers too.

Of course, "can see another side" is really the point!

If you still have further better idea, please let me know!

Hello all,

Why don't mould the R77 fins with empty squares, but moulded in plastic on a plate basis on one side, and then let the modeller saw it off from the basis, or sand off the basis until he gets the opened square holes, like he would do with a resin part?

regards

raphael

Edited by raftav

But technically, we cannot make it! According to the dimensions of R-77, the thickness of the fins should about 1.00 mm. With our technology for PE, the maximum thickness with through holes, is about 0.25 mm. That means, even we bend 2 PE together (only 0.50 mm thick), it is only half of the thickness of the real fins. Then, we need to put 2 bended PE together to have 1.00 mm thickness. This is extremely difficult for modellers to glue it together. We choose not to do so.

One more consideration, at the position you bend the PE, there will a line looks like round shape, which is not appeared in the real fins. If you file/sand it off, the PE may separate into 2 pieces again. This may be another headache for modellers too.

For folding, maybe you can change the location of the folding area - e.g. the outward 1 mm panel would be in the middle and then the grilles would fold on the bottom side which will be glued to the missile.

http://postimg.org/image/71x9t8eqt/

Edited by ijozic

mechanism from the live ones, you can see how base rotates.

Thanks for those photos, they show how those fins work (as expected) very clearly.

The show dummy's lack of fin mechanism in the earlier photo was confusing.

Yeah, J's picture clearly shows a dummy but he was just demonstrating how the fins looked. Also keep in mind, with 4 missiles, 4 fins per missile and each being a double; it would all take a lot of space on a PE sheet.

I think this is much a do about nothing overall. You are all talking like MiG-31BM actually uses R-77/R-77-1... :)

BM can in theory carry them, but those missiles have yet to find their way to operational units. So there isn't a single picture of an operational MiG-31BM with R-77-1. It is a missile that can be used in theory, and probably will in the future, but not yet.

Either you didnt understand me or you are trolling. It will be just bending a PE part onto itself. Even I, with limited skill, can do it easily.

I can't see any "easy" way to bend PE into that complex a shape at virtually any size, much less a couple of millimeters long. I'm completely serious. Look at the shape in the photograph and tell me how that's going to be "easy" to reproduce in PE.

Hello all,

Why don't mould the R77 fins with empty squares, but moulded in plastic on a plate basis on one side, and then let the modeller saw it off from the basis, or sand off the basis until he gets the opened square holes, like he would do with a resin part?

regards

raphael

Haha, Raphael,

You can saw it with the current plastic design, if you can.

Plastic is much more harder than resin. :D :D

Haha, Raphael,

You can saw it with the current plastic design, if you can.

Plastic is much more harder than resin. :D/>/>/>/>/>/> :D/>/>/>/>/>/>

Hi Sio

Here's what I mean.

To me, nothing impossible using a modeller saw (tiger style).

The question is what would be the fineness of the lattice allowed by injected plastic ?

15062103525715680013387230.jpg

raphael

Edited by raftav

Hi Sio

Here's what I mean.

To me, nothing impossible using a modeller saw (tiger style).

The question is what would be the fineness of the lattice allowed by injected plastic ?

15062103525715680013387230.jpg

raphael

Haha, Raphael,

With this way, the grids inside the fin, is out of plastic limitation. We cannot make plastic that thin, or the draft angle will be too large. So that, you won't see any hole from another side.

Sio

Then I guess question comes to which one is a better feature to have: "1mm, correct dimension for the depth of the fin" or "the see through lattice structure"?

For me what makes this missile an attractive modelling subject is "the see through lattice structure". Therefore, I prefer a PE part even with incorrect depth.

By the way, if we want to be perfect... You can design a piece in PE that will be bend like letter "M" without any gluing...

I get what you're saying, and I'd love an open lattice too, but a 4-layer PE part will look kind of terrible. The edges will be wonky - PE doesn't etch at a sharp, 90` angle - and almost impossible to clean up. *If* it's going to be PE, you pretty much have to have pieces that slot together:

1_zpscacyhixi.jpg

2_zpsjmayschb.jpg

I've done a few for some 1/43 cars, and they are invariably an enormous pain to assemble. Even more so when you're making 8 - 16 of the things (and these are TINY)... It's doable, but it'd be a miserable chore.

Really, the only way to feasibly replicate the parts is in resin - you can tediously make one perfect grid fin, then cast to your heart's content. The Eduard missiles are pretty cheap and quite nice, so a worthwhile upgrade if you really need open lattices. I wouldn't be shocked to see quick boost release a set of resin fins, too, as it'd make a simple upgrade. It'd be nice to see AMK include some resin parts for this detail, but given the costs and difficulties associated with resin production, I can certainly see why they wouldn't.

I get what you're saying, and I'd love an open lattice too, but a 4-layer PE part will look kind of terrible. The edges will be wonky - PE doesn't etch at a sharp, 90` angle - and almost impossible to clean up. *If* it's going to be PE, you pretty much have to have pieces that slot together:

1_zpscacyhixi.jpg

2_zpsjmayschb.jpg

I've done a few for some 1/43 cars, and they are invariably an enormous pain to assemble. Even more so when you're making 8 - 16 of the things (and these are TINY)... It's doable, but it'd be a miserable chore.

Really, the only way to feasibly replicate the parts is in resin - you can tediously make one perfect grid fin, then cast to your heart's content. The Eduard missiles are pretty cheap and quite nice, so a worthwhile upgrade if you really need open lattices. I wouldn't be shocked to see quick boost release a set of resin fins, too, as it'd make a simple upgrade. It'd be nice to see AMK include some resin parts for this detail, but given the costs and difficulties associated with resin production, I can certainly see why they wouldn't.

Good work!

Hi all

Profimodeller choosed to glue four identical parts to get the thickness for their R-77 fins (1/32). No bending. Maybe you could add a template to the PE SHEET so as to get them aligned when glueing:

PM32032%20%20R-77%20Rocked%20for%20Su-25.jpg

regards

raphael

Edited by raftav

...and it can be considered hell on Earth to glue 4 of those, 4 times, on 4 missiles. All for a weapon, once again, that isn't operational on MiG-31BM.

Edited by Berkut