AMK will release a MiG-31!

Here's a copy and paste from his email today:

"We planned only the B/BS variant coming in a few months. No other variants planned."

To my understanding B/BS differs from 'sans suffix' mostly internally (different radar and avionics), ain't it so?

Sio has just confirmed - there is no early MiG-31 variant planned. The CAD exists, but they have no plan to tool the parts.

Jennings,

What a misunderstanding here................. :D :D

We had CAD of the early version MIG-31, the B/BS version. And, we will release it a few months later than this BM/BSM version.

Cheers!

Sio

Converting the B/BS version to the earlier, original izd.01 version (or DZ) is probably the easiest conversion known to man. All you have to do is to remove the underside raised parts on the belly, remove the IFR probe cover (or not, if one wants a DZ) and install odd rods in front of the windscreen. The whole thing will probably take 30 seconds if that and doesn't need an own separate boxing.

The only thing is if the frame you are building had the early intakes, well then you have to do some scratchbuilding. So relax, you will get to have nostalgia in model form. :)

Edited by Berkut

I thought at least the rear instrument panel was completely different? Don't the more modern variants have more video screens? It's often hard to tell for sure what you're seeing when looking at photos, since I think a lot of people don't know the differences between the variants, so captions can be misleading.

I will break it down since apparently it is still confusing;

B/BS is a Soviet version of MiG-31. It is NOT a "modern" variant per see, BM/BSM is. That version was made as a response to the spy leaks, think of it like the same thing that as what happened with MiG-25P becoming PD/PDS post Belenko. They are almost indistinguishable from the outside vs the original "izd.01" (can think of it as "MiG-31A" if you want) MiG-31's and MiG-31DZ. MiG-31DZ is like "MiG-31A" but with refuel probe.

The outside differences between a vanilla "MiG-31A" and B are like those i described above. Most frames were new built and those have the B designation (like MiG-25PD) and some already in service "MiG-31A" frames got modified to B standard, those are known as BS. (like MiG-25PDS) Differences between B and BS is that the B had refuel probe. Cockpit between "A" and "B/BS" is basically the same between each other but not the same as on the BM/BSM.

BM/BSM version are the modern ones and the distinctions vs B/BS has been gone through many times already so i wont bother.

Here is a MiG-31BS for example, for all intents and purposes it is a "MiG-31A" for you;

5UPAacS.jpg

B looks the same but just has a refuel probe. Just do (or dont) the small modifications i have previously described and you will backtrack it to a true "MiG-31A"/Vanilla/Sans whatever. You will have the cockpit and pylons you need in the B/BS boxing.

Sorry, if I'm still confused, but there is confusing information going on here. I'm going to copy and paste directly from Sio's email from about four hours ago:

"Hi, Jennings,

I think the early CAD image shown in ARC, may have these bigger pylons.

In our Facebook, only independent missiles are shown.

The differences between the 2 variants are not only those point out by BERKUT in ARC, but also the cockpit panels, bigger pylons, and missiles.

Missiles of BM version are, R-33, R-73, and R-77.

Missiles of B version are, R-33, R-40, and R-60.

Cheers!

Sio"

Edited by Jennings

Sorry, if I'm still confused, but there is confusing information going on here. I'm going to copy and paste directly from Sio's email from about four hours ago:

"Hi, Jennings,

The differences between the 2 variants are not only those point out by BERKUT in ARC, but also the cockpit panels, bigger pylons, and missiles.

Cheers!

Sio"

There is literally nothing confusing whatsoever if you actually took time to read what i and Sio have written. I took time (and frankly i have better things to do) to write you an explanation and it is clear you are not taking the time to actually read it.

Summed up; you will have the pylons, cockpit, weapons etc you need in the B/BS boxing in order to build "MiG-31A". You wont have those in the BM/BSM boxing. So, buy B/BS boxing (or better, both :)) and do the small changes i have described above. That is it. I am not sure how much simpler i have to describe it at this point.

Gee, I'm so sorry to be troubling you with this. Perhaps someone with a little more patience could answer instead of us all wasting your valuable time. Please accept my most humble apologies for not being as quick on the uptake as you clearly are.

Gee, I'm so sorry to be troubling you with this. Perhaps someone with a little more patience could answer instead of us all wasting your valuable time. Please accept my most humble apologies for not being as quick on the uptake as you clearly are.

Extremely rude and extremely uncalled for reply.

I used my time to explain you the differences in version, time i really needed to use otherwise today. And the response i get is this nasty reply with an entitled tone instead of a simple "Thank you"? What is this? I explained it extremely simply and you are simply refusing to get it that there will be two boxings;

- First one will be of MiG-31BM/BSM.

- Second one will be of MiG-31B/BS and will have the early pylons, early weapons and early cockpit you need.

This has been repeated ad nauseam on this page alone by me, Sio and Martin;

Jennings,

What a misunderstanding here................. :D/> :D/>

We had CAD of the early version MIG-31, the B/BS version. And, we will release it a few months later than this BM/BSM version.

Cheers!

Sio

"Hi, Jennings,

Cheers!

Sio"

The MIG-31DZ early can be but from the B/BS version which will be released in a few months. As Berkut states, only small changes need to be made to achieve this change. Any major cockpit components will be included in the kit.

The MIG-31DZ early can be but from the B/BS version which will be released in a few months. As Berkut states, only small changes need to be made to achieve this change. Any major cockpit components will be included in the kit.

Will the different wing pylons and different missiles also be included in that B/BS variant?

Thanks for being patient with our questions!!

Second one will be of MiG-31B/BS and will have the early pylons, early weapons and early cockpit you need.

Yes. Or do you mean the MiG-31BM specific pylons/cockpit/weapons included in B/BS boxing? If so, no.

Edited by Berkut
Converting the B/BS version to the earlier, original izd.01 version (or DZ) is probably the easiest conversion known to man. All you have to do is to remove the underside raised parts on the belly, remove the IFR probe cover (or not, if one wants a DZ) and install odd rods in front of the windscreen. The whole thing will probably take 30 seconds if that and doesn't need an own separate boxing.

If you find time, I'd really appreciate if you could point out these raised party on the belly and odd rods in front of the windscreen. When the B/BS boxing is out, I'd need to backdate it to the DZ as B/BS variant is slightly outside of the timeline of interest to me. It's hard to find a good up-front MiG-31 non-B/BS photo.

Edited by ijozic

If you find time, I'd really appreciate if you could point out these raised party on the belly and odd rods in front of the windscreen. When the B/BS boxing is out, I'd need to backdate it to the DZ as B/BS variant is slightly outside of the timeline of interest to me. It's hard to find a good up-front MiG-31 non-B/BS photo.

The odd rods are the bigger ones seen in front of the windscreen here. The smaller ones in front of those are still used;

nbRn1Jv.jpg

YMqeROA.jpg

The belly things are these;

6FUuqbx.jpg

They are not found on MiG-31 and MiG-31DZ but on all other variants.

Odd Rods are offset towards the port side just in front of the windscreen I believe but I can't find a decent picture. I am sure Berkut will oblige soon. That is once he has finished winterising his house ready for the cold to come.......

winter-is-coming-jpeg-492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg

The odd rods are the bigger ones seen in front of the windscreen here. The smaller ones in front of those are still used;

The belly things are these; They are not found on MiG-31 and MiG-31DZ but on all other variants.

Great, thanks for the effort. So, these rods are IFF antennas, right?

I'm taking a long shot here, but could the belly things could be some mini vortex generators to reduce the drag of the rear missile launcher parts or something? I can see the front launchers don't have them, so I assume they're not related to the missiles.

Edited by ijozic