AMK will release a MiG-31!

I hope they do that windscreen sealing strip as a decal! That's like a crinkle cut chip!

Hmm, kinda forgot about those. I will fire an email to the decal designer and ask if it is too late to add those. If not for this boxing maybe for the B/BS one.

Or will there be a next boxing!?!?

:deadhorse1:

I'm reminded of this sketch with reference to Berkut's struggles today!

Hah.

I like the canopy! At last someone is doing an inner frame too. Mind you the frame of the MiG-31 is far bigger and robust in comparison to other fighters. Had the chance to sit in the 31 yew years ago and the look/feel of all of that metal over your head was a bit claustrophobic!

Best regards

Gabor

I love the separate interior parts for the canopy!!! People don't realize how beefy those structures are.I worked military jets for 30+ years and this is one of the first representation of that type of structure I've seen in a kit.

It's cute and imaginative ! Tsukuda ?

Quick Tsukuda story: back in 1997-or-so, a local hobby shop got a Tsukuda MiG-31, which they priced at $98. It failed to sell. ;) It got marked down a number of times; I think it finally sold for about $20.

And a fun Foxhound fact: the nose wheels on the MiG-31 are identical to the main wheels on the Yak-38.

MiG-31: http://77rus.smugmug.com/Military/790th-Fighter-Regiment/B20-copy/1253986893_QLKQ9tL-L.jpg

Yak-38: http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/5938-14/26wtmk.jpg

The clear parts go over the plastic ones or I'm not seeing well?

The structure is made up of several parts. The plastic (solid) parts are inside the clear ones, but for the after cockpit the periscope and its actuator is outside on the top of the canopy. On the inside you have another periscope mirror which is also a separate part, this one hangs down in front of the operators face. The part still missing is the rearview mirror on top of the pilot canopy.

As I have said before it is a realistic representation of the real canopy. :thumbsup:

Best regards

Gabor

I suppose the periscope on the rear canopy is for landing the aircraft from the rear seat. Are all Mig 31s equipped with flight controls in the rear seat or just a select few for conversion training, or is it perhaps a kit that can be moved from aircraft to aircraft?

Nice work with the plastic, AMK. I am sure I will enjoy this kit immensely wen it arrives to my door sometime hopefully before Christmas. :-)

It doesn't seem they even qualify as 'similar' let alone 'identical' apart from the shape of the main strut.

He means the wheels - not the undercarriage legs.

I was going to dismiss it as nonesense - until I checked my refs (how sad is that?)

The MiG-31 NOSEWHEELS are KT-176 units measuring 660 X 200mm

The Yak-38 MAINWHEELS are KT-61/3 units measuring 660 X 200mm

So, apart from the designation - and the fact that the Yak-38 units are brake-equipped - they are the same size.

But IDENTICAL ????

Ken

I love the separate interior parts for the canopy!!! People don't realize how beefy those structures are.I worked military jets for 30+ years and this is one of the first representation of that type of structure I've seen in a kit.

Yep I agree! Even the ones on the F-5s are a 2 man job, the windshield actually weighs more even though its smaller!

He means the wheels - not the undercarriage legs.

Ah, right, apologies. I got focused on the struts having similar rib structure blindsided by my usual morning crankiness.

The cockpit canopy parts look great with those inside lining parts, but there will be a problem with their appearance as there will be an inside "glass" side part which will remain transparent, being also more noticeable as the transparencies are much thicker on the model than in real life. I wonder if for the MiG-31 it would have been better perhaps if these transparent parts were given as separate pieces which would then be glued to the regular plastic canopy frames. It would ease the painting and look more realistic; it would also be somewhat tricky to glue them, although painting the inside edges first and then using a bit of some CA glue on those painted edges might just work. Just a thought as IMHO it seems as a better option, especially now with the much more detailed cockpit canopies finally becoming available in kits.

Edited by ijozic