Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-15B/D

If that kind of price for that kind of kit bothers you, don't ever try to get into RC airplanes, model trains, or almost any other hobby. Ours is still one of the cheapest bang-for-buck hobbies going.

Valid point, I'll admit.

But in the end, the asking price is between $70 to $80USD. No thank you.

I'll just buy a Hasegawa F-15E (That's really an F-15B/D anyway) and do any appropriate mods.

Or better yet, if I really want to go on the cheap, get a Revell F-15E for less than $13USD at Hobby Lobby (With their weekly 40% off coupon) and do said appropriate mods.

For our times and for what they are providing, price is reasonable.

If that kind of price for that kind of kit bothers you, don't ever try to get into RC airplanes, model trains, or almost any other hobby. Ours is still one of the cheapest bang-for-buck hobbies going.

I'm talking about a specific model subject, a specific scale, and specific quality and comparing that to what is currently available.

Not merely the price in and of itself.

Also; I used Hasegawa as a baseline to compare with.

Judging by your post I take it you don't have the same kind of money-conscience purchasing that I exercise. Must be nice

Since logic rules the day with me and the fact that I'm not rich, buying a model kit that costs $30 to $40 more when a comparable kit is available for half that just doesn't make sense to me. Especially when I don't see $30 or $40 of stuff in the new kit.

It's a very nice kit in and of itself, but I fail to see why it should be almost twice the price of a comparable Hasegawa.

Spotted a major problem with the decal instructions. The one used to help place decals for the lower fuselage of the Israeli bird is way out of register. Stencils and panel numbers are not where they are supposed to be.

See below. Instructions for the top are ok but the one for the bottom is totally off.

10252867t2.jpg

Mark

Hi,

To your list of "Cons" I would add another some other points:

7) Very bad exhaust nozzles: Too long, too thick.

8) The area covered by the airbrake is lower than the rest of the fuselage. Airbrake fairing wrong for an early B/D.

9) Only featherless nozzles even if the Israelis keep them up much longer than the Americans.

When assembled is a heavy model. Much heavier than the Hasegawa Eagle. It would have benefit of some metal in its undercarriage legs.

Cheers,

My first impressions via the instructions.

Pros:

1) The blade antennas are a model part and not molded into the fuselage halves.

2) The way the wings are configured with the fuselage.

3) Intake position parts are separate.

4) Flying surfaces are positional.

5) Can be built as a very highly detailed static display with engine, avionics, radar viewing.

6) How the exhaust cans are built. Compared to the Revell F-15E.

Cons:

1) Price

2) Unnecessary fancy packaging. Drives up cost.

3) Price

4) Too many unnecessary open panels/doors. They should make it so that if you want a panel or door open to leave less material to cut as molded closed panels and doors are always cleaner and easier to deal with than gluing said panels and doors closed.

5) Price

6) Two engines instead of just one. Drives cost up unnecessarily.

7) Price

Verdict: If the price ever drops to or below $50USD at least one will be added to my stash.

Edited by galfa

Hi,

To your list of "Cons" I would add another some other points:

7) Very bad exhaust nozzles: Too long, too thick.

8) The area covered by the airbrake is lower than the rest of the fuselage. Airbrake fairing wrong for an early B/D.

9) Only featherless nozzles even if the Israelis keep them up much longer than the Americans.

When assembled is a heavy model. Much heavier than the Hasegawa Eagle. It would have benefit of some metal in its undercarriage legs.

Cheers,

Regarding the exhaust nozzles: Bummer that they are inaccurate. I like how they are assembled vs the Revell version.

Also; very good point regarding the Israeli F-15 exhaust nozzles.

Cons:

4) Too many unnecessary open panels/doors. They should make it so that if you want a panel or door open to leave less material to cut as molded closed panels and doors are always cleaner and easier to deal with than gluing said panels and doors closed.

6) Two engines instead of just one. Drives cost up unnecessarily.

Agree 100 percent. Open panels and engines just seem "toy like". How many people will build their F-15 with even one engine exposed, let alone two? Plus jet engines are incredibly complex items and even a high end outfit like Great Wall will not be able to provide anything except a rough approximate of the real thing. Why even bother? Eliminate the engines to reduce cost and offer a "special addition" release for those that want the extra parts.

I'd be very curious how well the panel covers fit. Even if done perfectly, I fear it will still look rather obvious compared to all the other panels.

Agree 100 percent. Open panels and engines just seem "toy like". How many people will build their F-15 with even one engine exposed, let alone two? Plus jet engines are incredibly complex items and even a high end outfit like Great Wall will not be able to provide anything except a rough approximate of the real thing. Why even bother? Eliminate the engines to reduce cost and offer a "special addition" release for those that want the extra parts.

I'd be very curious how well the panel covers fit. Even if done perfectly, I fear it will still look rather obvious compared to all the other panels.

Absolutely.

Excellent points made.

Of the evils; the side panels aft of the radome worry's me much more than the large MLG doors.

If you think the price is reasonable, then all the power to you.

I think the price is more than reasonable, it is incredible considering the level of detail the kit provides.

This is new tool, new age, do you expect them to give it away for free?

The Hasegawa F-15 was tooled in another time and is only roughly $20.00 less at retail.

I think the price is more than reasonable, it is incredible considering the level of detail the kit provides.

This is new tool, new age, do you expect them to give it away for free?

The Hasegawa F-15 was tooled in another time and is only roughly $20.00 less at retail.

Price is a matter of personal preference.

I've already stated my points on the kit price. If you don't agree; fine. No need for the unnecessary snarky comment.

And I've already made my points regarding the price difference. And it's $25 to $40 more than a Hasegawa F-15. Specifically, $25 more on Hobby Search.

What does, "For our times..." mean?

If you think the price is reasonable, then all the power to you.

lol, that is the demonstration of my awesome English. It means "nowadays" or "in these times" or "at the present time" :D

And, yes I do think price is ok. I am not a good modeler, do not like to and cannot scratch build so I buy aftermarket stuff. For example, for my Su-27 models, I buy noses, missiles, exhausts and cockpits... Adds up to more than what GWH F-15 costs. Same with many other models... so if this model does not require aftermarket, it is reasonably priced. Many Hesagawa models (or other new models for that matter) are at similar price anyways.

Edited by foxmulder_ms

I think they are correct, one thing I see that no one takes into account in this thread is the images posted here are not cropped the same.

Well, lets try again then. I hope Jin is ok with me using his picture and adding lines in paint.

184048c2ubtujhzujbu7b5.jpg

Red line is outline of GWH bulges, notice the way they bulge. Red line is tiny bit wrong at the bottom, but i was too lazy to redo it and the areas above are the ones that are interesting. Green line is showing how it should be, and demonstrating how it is correctly done on Revell.

There is a clear V shape on the real thing and Revell, which i mentioned before:

To me it looks like the engine humps are roughly shaped like V on real thing, and in between them there is upside down V. On the kit however the shape of the humps is different creating Y like area in between.

V shape is clearly seen on the real thing, exhb1, exhb2, exhb3, modified exhb3.

so if this model does not require aftermarket

in order to make an accurate USAF F-15B or D from about the last 20 years, it will require proper LAU-128 missile rails and additionally for the D, the ALQ-135 antennae next to the right engine nozzle. Plus, no AIM-120s or AIM-9s of any variant are included

I can't speak to if it is an accurate and/or complete Israeli version

lol, that is the demonstration of my awesome English. It means "nowadays" or "in these times" or "at the present time" biggrin.gif

And, yes I do think price is ok. I am not a good modeler, do not like to and cannot scratch build so I buy aftermarket stuff. For example, for my Su-27 models, I buy noses, missiles, exhausts and cockpits... Adds up to more than what GWH F-15 costs. Same with many other models... so if this model does not require aftermarket, it is reasonably priced. Many Hesagawa models (or other new models for that matter) are at similar price anyways.

O.K. Cool. Thanks for the clarification 70.gif/> .

You give a great example of how a modeler's style evolves/develops. And I respect that.

An example of me; I'm starting to build a/c in flight much more often now because of what huge factor? I don't have to mess with detailing the LG or LG wells w00t.gif ! But equally important is the fact that I think a/c should be viewed/displayed in their designed environment: Flying.

Regarding price; All that matters is you're satisfied with the asking price.

Judging by your post I take it you don't have the same kind of money-conscience purchasing that I exercise. Must be nice.

Not remotely. It's just that the price GWH is asking is perfectly in line with current prices from just about every other manufacturer. It's not massively more expensive than any other kit, especially given the quality of what you get in the box. I don't mind paying for quality. People fork over this much (or a lot more) for Trumpet Boss kits that are a comedy of inaccuracies and never bat an eye ("Well it looks like an XYZ to me").

I don't mind at all paying for something of quality. It grinds my goat to spend good money on a product that turns out to be inferior, whether it's a car, a bottle of wine, or a model airplane.

Not remotely. It's just that the price GWH is asking is perfectly in line with current prices from just about every other manufacturer. It's not massively more expensive than any other kit, especially given the quality of what you get in the box. I don't mind paying for quality. People fork over this much (or a lot more) for Trumpet Boss kits that are a comedy of inaccuracies and never bat an eye ("Well it looks like an XYZ to me").

I don't mind at all paying for something of quality. It grinds my goat to spend good money on a product that turns out to be inferior, whether it's a car, a bottle of wine, or a model airplane.

GWH is willing to correct any inaccuracies on this shows what kind of company they are, what little has been found wrong with this kit.

I will be waiting on the single Seater for they are going to fix things on that kit, besides never have crewed a two Seater so probably won't buy this one.

Heck look at all the problems with the Tamiya 1/32 15 and it still sells and at the same price of this kit...

Cheers

Yeah; Good points there.

Like I stated earlier, price is a personal preference. The definition of 'affordable' is definitely relative.

Tech question:

Since this is a brand new release, are the details (Panel lines, fastener screws, molded detail etc) going to be better/more up to date/new-and-improved etc?

100708-F-7910D-028.jpg

Aside from the debates on the bulge shape on the aft fuselage, there seems to be additional shape issue on GWH's F-15B/D kit. When you take a look at the linked photo above, you might notice a bulgy shape starting from the rear-end of the canopy and also around vent behind the canopy. Simply put, unlike Revell or Tamiya, GWH did not get the shape right. If some of you have a Revell's F-15E kit and look at the shape of the vent behind the canopy, you will get the point.

Edited by not2p

Can we safely assume that the F-15 pic is not distorted at all?

The pic shows an abrupt bulge/steep angle increase.

My Revell F-15 shows an abrupt but not quite as steep angle increase as the pic.

GWH F-15 shows a gradual slope increase.

100708-F-7910D-012.jpg

Check this photo, too. These photos are from Edward Airforce Base homepages. By the way, the shape issue means not only the problem in the shape of the vent but also in the canopy.

Edited by not2p