Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-15B/D

Aside from the debates on the bulge shape on the aft fuselage, there seems to be additional shape issue on GWH's F-15B/D kit. When you take a look at the linked photo above, you might notice a bulgy shape starting from the rear-end of the canopy and also around vent behind the canopy. Simply put, unlike Revell or Tamiya, GWH did not get the shape right. If some of you have a Revell's F-15E kit and look at the shape of the vent behind the canopy, you will get the point.

After checking several more pics, yours appears to be consistent/accurate.

It appears that the GWH F-15 has the rear canopy slope of a single seat canopy.

Check this photo, too. These photos are from Edward Airforce Base homepages. By the way, the shape issue means not only the problem in the shape of the vent but also in the canopy.

I agree.

BTW; I just noticed your F-15 has the formation lights without the IR strip beneath it (IR strip looks like a shadow under the formation lights).

I agree.

BTW; I just noticed your F-15 has the formation lights without the IR strip beneath it (IR strip looks like a shadow under the formation lights).

IR strips? Don't remember any of the 15's that I worked on having those? Something new?

The nose barrel on the 15 is oval shaped and there is a taper back to the speedbrake no "bulge" but if they got the slope wrong just aft of the canopy then yes the secondary heat exchanger exhaust louvre would be wrong.

I checked and you are right about the 49th bird, the 49th would be the only active wing to keep their A's and B's till 90 - 91 and could of had they MISIPed while there.

I know the US Air Force contention during the early 80's was to relagate ALL A's and B's to guard and reserve units as well as ADC...

Thanx for the info

Cheers

Dave

Hollomans 49th Eagles were the last batch of A/B's built and were MSIP'd prior to getting F-117's.

Some went to Soesterberg to replace their vanilla C models,they rest went to Guard units...mainly Hawaii

All of this talk of you can't build the kit as a F-15B makes me sigh.

Folks have done models of F-15B's from the Hasegawa kit for years,that kit has cockpit issues,the speedbrake is wrong,panel lines need describing & the wheel hubs are wrong.

Are we just picking holes in this kit for the sake of it?

Has anyone actually started a serious full build review yet?

According to Lucky Model they have it in stock,so I'm hoping mine will be heading to the UK imminently

IR strips? Don't remember any of the 15's that I worked on having those? Something new?

The nose barrel on the 15 is oval shaped and there is a taper back to the speedbrake no "bulge" but if they got the slope wrong just aft of the canopy then yes the secondary heat exchanger exhaust louvre would be wrong.

w00t.gif

I believe you're correct!

The U.S. Navy uses them, not the AF doh.gif .

Here's a pic of an F-18F with the formation lights and the IR strip directly below it. The IR strip looks like a shadow of the formation lights:

F-18_F_Super_Hornet_02.jpg

Could that bulge be a bit of an optical illusion because of the louvres? If you look at the second photo, there is almost a straight line instead of defined curve. The top photo looks like the light is being played with a bit by the light off of the metal heat exchanger.

Just my thoughts of course. Will reserve ultimate judgement until I see plastic in hand.

Could that bulge be a bit of an optical illusion because of the louvres? If you look at the second photo, there is almost a straight line instead of defined curve. The top photo looks like the light is being played with a bit by the light off of the metal heat exchanger.

Just my thoughts of course. Will reserve ultimate judgement until I see plastic in hand.

Still trying to figure where this "bulge" is at on the real jet? There is no bulge, there is a smooth taper back from the oval nose barrel back to the L/E speedbrake fairing. The nose barrel separate on is just aft of the nose gear bay and bay 15.

If we are talking about the aft of the canopy the way it rises to meets the canopy if this is missing on the kit then yes it is wrong for a two Seater.

Cheers

Just spotted another error. The flat spot on the MLG wheels is molded on the wrong side with regard to the brake detail.

Wonder if the Royale Resin wheels will fit this kit...

Mark

good catch Mark

The hub cap?

Dave, if you look here, the bulge on the back-half of the tires with the brake detail...the bulge is on the sprue attachment point, where it should be above the brake part that has the opening to the raised detail, ie, right below the raised detail point. Part 7 to the left, and Part 8 to the right. Hard to describe without putting arrows and stuff on their photo

114702cxuj73l77l7xazxu.jpg

Edited by Ken Middleton

So, I'm guessing the issue is that the brake doesn't rotate with the wheel, so it is always in the same position as compared to the ground.

This photo seems to show how it really looks. The open end of the "U" shape is always away from the ground (and the tire flat spot).

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/001-100/awa004-F-15E/images%20Steve%20Bamford/sheb0619.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

So, I'm guessing the issue is that the brake doesn't rotate with the wheel, so it is always in the same position as compared to the ground.

This photo seems to show how it really looks. The open end of the "U" shape is always away from the ground (and the tire flat spot).

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/001-100/awa004-F-15E/images%20Steve%20Bamford/sheb0619.jpg

yes Dave, and I have my info backwards, I will correct it

The raised circles are the "pucks" they move hydraulically against brake plates that rotate with the wheel. The plates have 8 slots across them that line up with bars on the inside of the rim, a pain to keep lined up when changing a tire in the quick turn.

good catch Mark

Dave, if you look here, the bulge on the back-half of the tires with the brake detail...the bulge is on the sprue attachment point, where it should be above the brake part that has the opening to the raised detail, ie, right below the raised detail point. Part 7 to the left, and Part 8 to the right. Hard to describe without putting arrows and stuff on their photo

The brake "pucks" are attached to the strutting. The pucks extend hydraulically putting pressure on the brake plates which are slotted to the rim .

Oops... So the only model you can correctly model from this first release is an Israeli D (possibly wheels up) without turkey feathers and CFTs. GWM will have to do a fair bit of reworking for the next release. Hopefully, corrected parts will be available for those who have the first release (mine is underway).

Jens

Regarding the shape of the hump/vent behind the canopy:

The build-up on Cybermodeler:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_10.shtml

and

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_14.shtml

and

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_24.shtml

And a collage of my shots of F-15D 85-0134:

F-15D_Canopy_Samples%20copy.jpg

Regarding the shape of the hump/vent behind the canopy:

The build-up on Cybermodeler:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_10.shtml

and

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_14.shtml

and

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_24.shtml

And a collage of my shots of F-15D 85-0134:

F-15D_Canopy_Samples%20copy.jpg

The kit definatly has a single Seater secondary heat exchanger louvre, wow this keeps on getting worse as we go.

That means the canopy is most likely mishap pen to conform a two Seater canopy to a single Seater forward fuselage in the aft canopy area.

Oops... So the only model you can correctly model from this first release is an Israeli D (possibly wheels up) without turkey feathers and CFTs. GWM will have to do a fair bit of reworking for the next release. Hopefully, corrected parts will be available for those who have the first release (mine is underway).

Jens

Now you can't even model an accurate two Seater eagle period....

Edited by Ol Crew Dog