Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-15B/D

I'm not quite sure about the market plan, but as far as I know, the B/D box has stopped, and the next release will be the single seater version with corrected parts.

I do hope that if GWH will market this as an A-model, they will provide an upper fuselage that will enable the modeller to actually make an A without surgery. Otherwise, just market it as a C-model although the ESCAPAC seats will be wasted on those. Good to see the fairing behind the cockpit and the nose is fixed.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

Brent - please be aware that A's, early USAF C's (and even a few C's at Nellis as late as Nov 2012) and non-US C's don't have the 2 antennae bumps (one on top and one on bottom) just behind the radome, so those parts should be separate, or the instructions should say to remove them if not on a specific airframe

Same goes for B's and D's - neither have had those bumps

Edited by Ken Middleton

I just got new side drawing from the factory, we changed the after fairing behind the canopy, and also we changed the cross-section issue

175606e8i7nn5pg6953l30.jpg

it's not final yet, we still keep correcting issues founded here and there earlier

Hope the future release would not be too late...

I'm not quite sure about the market plan, but as far as I know, the B/D box has stopped, and the next release will be the single seater version with corrected parts.

Dear Viperbite

It would be nice if GWH rereleased the Israeli boxing as a true full Israeli jet. Without the CFTs it is a limiting kit for what GWH advertises as most Israeli Eagles use the CFTs. Please be aware that these are not the same CFTs used by the F-15E, F-15I, 15K, or 15S. That and the lack of any AIM-9 variants excludes any USAF version which was also advertised. If you plan on continuing the Eagle tooling, and it seems you will, you should also consider the Israeli SatCom antenna that is on the after fairing behind the canopy on the F-15I and many F-15Ds in Israeli service and the reconnaissance pod used by the single seat versions. And please stop with the open panels, they are an added expense of over engineering that most modelers will not use. Look at the AFV F-5 series with the open gun bay. Every build I have seen of it, the modeler has chosen to close it up with varying degrees of success. It is simply a headache your average customer doesn't want or need. I hope F-15 is as successful for GWH as the MiG-29 has been, but you still haven't earned my business with the F-15.

I just got new side drawing from the factory, we changed the after fairing behind the canopy, and also we changed the cross-section issue

175606e8i7nn5pg6953l30.jpg

compare to the real thing

180535b9sgs9h8p7ygz7p2.jpg

and cross-section is changed

182942d3rifm03nwnznnoi.jpg

it's not final yet, we still keep correcting issues founded here and there earlier

Hope the future release would not be too late...

----------------------------------------

This way you do not compare to the real thing but to a photo!

And that means plenty of distortion because of the optics.

In addition, such kind of very small scale over-drawing it is a reciple for inaccuracy.

Would do you mean that you get "new side drawing from the factory"?

Which factory? The Boeing Factory, in Everett, Washington, USA ???

Now I understand why we keep gettin such very expensive and very mishaped kits like the Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D.

Please, Please, Please !

In addition, such kind of very small scale over-drawing it is a reciple for inaccuracy.

Would do you mean that you get "new side drawing from the factory"?

Which factory? The Boeing Factory, in Everett, Washington, USA ???

Now I understand why we keep gettin such very expensive and very mishaped kits like the Great Wall Hobbies F-15B/D.

Please, Please, Please !

Are you able to provide a better source of information with regard to the shape of the actual aircraft? Maybe you'd like to share for the benefit of all of us. Thanks.

And I'm pretty sure that the factory Jin is referring to is the GWH factory which means that the nose profile he has shown has been tweaked by GWH's designer and from the overlay with the photo of the actual aircraft, looks really promising.

Mark

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

You can't use photos uncritically, but the image that Viperbite included a tracing of appears to be taken from a good distance with a telephoto lens so distortion should be small. I'd rather see comparisons with carefully chosen photographs than blind faith in drawings that are only someone else's interpretation of photos and sources you cannot verify.

Jens

Are you able to provide a better source of information with regard to the shape of the actual aircraft? Maybe you'd like to share for the benefit of all of us. Thanks.

And I'm pretty sure that the factory Jin is referring to is the GWH factory which means that the nose profile he has shown has been tweaked by GWH's designer and from the overlay with the photo of the actual aircraft, looks really promising.

Mark

Mark,

Obviously I am not able to provide any real information about any F-15 but, you know, I am not planning to release a 1/48 scale model kit of this airplane and to make money this way.

However, there are plenty of accessible Eagles all over the planet. Who is planning to make a bussiness releasing scale model kits should just take real measurements of the real thing. That is the way scale model firms have done so far.

And that is the way to pay some respect to people like me and you and to all the others who lost their money on the 1/48 F-15B/D from GWH. . .

Best,

Edited by galfa
However, there are plenty of accessible Eagles all over the planet.

Are they accessible to guys from Shanghai ? If it was the case, can Lion Roar afford to send two employees on a trip to do research ?

However, there are plenty of accessible Eagles all over the planet. Who is planning to make a bussiness releasing scale model kits should just take real measurements of the real thing. That is the way scale model firms have done so far.

And that is the way to pay some respect to people like me and you and to all the others who lost their money on the 1/48 F-15B/D from GWH. . .

???

seems to me that this is not the rule... more "the exception"

...at least, in regards of "still in service, military aircraft"

It's great that GWH is fixing problems in the kits for subsequent releases, but am I the only one who now thinks it's a bad idea to buy the initial boxing of any new 1/48 GWH kit? Their first P-61 had issues with the cowling and the engine reduction gear cover (also the nose, but they offered replacements to buyers for that) that were fixed in the next boxing. The MiG-29 9-12 late had some issues that were corrected in the next 9-13 release, and now their first F-15 release has some issues that will be fixed in the next release. Great for the guys who buy the second boxing, but the people with the first boxing are stuck with the errors.

It's great that GWH is fixing problems in the kits for subsequent releases, but am I the only one who now thinks it's a bad idea to buy the initial boxing of any new 1/48 GWH kit? Their first P-61 had issues with the cowling and the engine reduction gear cover (also the nose, but they offered replacements to buyers for that) that were fixed in the next boxing. The MiG-29 9-12 late had some issues that were corrected in the next 9-13 release, and now their first F-15 release has some issues that will be fixed in the next release. Great for the guys who buy the second boxing, but the people with the first boxing are stuck with the errors.

Yes. It's as if the designer on each project was different so no lesson was learned. A bit surprising.

Edited by Laurent

???

seems to me that this is not the rule... more "the exception"

...at least, in regards of "still in service, military aircraft"

Why do you think so?

Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa, Tamiya they all did some serious research on the real thing or when impossible on factory drawings (blueprints) before releasing their kits.

Their efforts are far from perfect, but much better than the GWH releases.

Serious research does not mean that they will necessarily travel half the world to measure a plane. Hasegawa certainly didn't measure Su-33 and yet they released a pretty good kit. Certainly not perfect, but certainly not KH level either. Airfix for most part focus on British subjects so their travel time and costs are not comparable.

Why do you think so?

Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa, Tamiya they all did some serious research on the real thing or when impossible on factory drawings (blueprints) before releasing their kits.

Their efforts are far from perfect, but much better than the GWH releases.

You sure sound like you have a personal problem with GWH. I wished you would be just frank about it and say what it was. With your altitude you must be in crusades with all the model companies...

Best,

You lost your money? Did you end up with an empty box, or did the plastic parts melt before you could construct it? If not, you didn't lose your money, you made a conscious choice to spend it. If the small issues with it ruined it for you, that's too bad. But no one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy one.

If you rerelease the F-15D kit.Give the new updated kit a new box number and boxart

I don't want to be buying kits not knowing what plastic is inside.

Already managed to dodge a bullet and cancel my 3 preordered kits after seeing the errors here...

You lost your money? Did you end up with an empty box, or did the plastic parts melt before you could construct it? If not, you didn't lose your money, you made a conscious choice to spend it. If the small issues with it ruined it for you, that's too bad. But no one held a gun to your head and forced you to buy one.

Some issues with the first release were minor but there were also the major issues as well.

As with life there are people that care and those that don't.

I think the point made is that companies like Hase and Tamiya come out with a kit and it's expected to be accurate, though there have been a few mistakes on their best kits.

When their mistakes are brought to the forefront you are taken as a heritic but when companies like Kinetic, Hobby Boss and GWH, it's expected?

Hasegawa and Tamiya have not gone back to the drawing board on their mistakes made, at least GWH and Hobby boss are willing to go back and change things .

You decide on the purchase, I personally wait for the reviews to purchase, but that is my choice.

Cheers