Convair CV 880 TWA "Out of service" - Glencoe/Hawk 1:126

Hallo Guys,

it´s a long time since my last posting here on ARC - today I´d like to show you my latest work - it´s a Convair CV 880M...

vq18.jpg

The molds are from the very old Hawk-Kit, I think it´s first released in 1960..?! The used kit is a re-release from Glencoe out from 1991, it´s 'boxscale' 1:126...

The inspiration for this model was primarily the CV 880 (N807AJ), which was parked along with it´s sister ship at Atlantic City Airport - photos can be found here.

I immediately wanted to build the model as heavy weathered as the ones at ACY, mixed with the empty engine pods (how appropriate for this kit - there´s no fanblades!) I discovered on another CV 880 at Mojave, the damaged nose gear and a bit of the unpainted fuselage and fin (starboard side).

Since the model works best in 'natural environment', at first a few photos under blue skies and sunshine..:coolio:

fqy5.jpg

q66h.jpg

While the whole wingtip is missing on the left wing, the right wing lacks only the transparent cover of the position light - loose wires hanging out...

pf8s.jpg

hd7l.jpg

zwme.jpg

6t66.jpg

The extended flaps are completely made from scratch.. :bandhead2:

rmnz.jpg

Edited by airforce_mike

Some views from on high - the barren landscape was created by chinchilla sand and clumps of cut plumbers hemp ..

wa9d.jpg

xcu3.jpg

8tbp.jpg

9v7v.jpg

Some details from the vicinity - an extensive engine along with it´s nacelle cover...

eyoo.jpg

The extreme weathering of the 'walkways' was found on this picture..

z8fl.jpg

Scruffy warning signs, unreadable, only rust ...

ne2n.jpg

The engine was created from all sorts of 'stuff' out of the "box of residues"...

Here´s as it looked 'under construction':

npj7.jpg

Edited by airforce_mike

The ladder was cobbled together from stretched sprue, using PS material (cream cheese cover) for stages and silver paper (cigarette) for the grooved surfaces ...

nepm.jpg

Shame on me: The railing is broken, I did not notice when taking pictures ..

There is only a single nose wheel left, the axis rests on a wooden plank on the right side..

btw: It is actually a wooden plank, because it is a piece from a matchstick ;)

lohy.jpg

The (completely rusted) tiny ladder, parked on engine #2, was also done entirely from stretched sprue and PS - the obligatory dime clarifies it´s size... :blink:

lx40.jpg

Once again a rear view - the pictures were taken with the model on the folded roof window ... not quite safe,

but luckily everything went well... B)

r3wh.jpg

Hope you like it - thanx for looking! :D

Edited by airforce_mike

Thanx again..!:coolio:

What scale is the dime??

Oh...it´s 16,25mm in diameter..

Well, here´s another picture for size comparison, made while construction:

yhjt.jpg

This one (also from the construction phase) shows the scratchbuilt nose details in close up:

ih7s.jpg

:wacko:

Edited by airforce_mike
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...