He 111 from 1/KG26

Have an old 1/72 Matchbox kit that I'm going to try to build as a He 11H-6 torpedo bomber. I have some Begemot decals to make this as a 1/KG26 plane operating out of northern Norway in the Arctic theater against Allied convoys and the Russian Fleet (according to the decals). It is a bagged kit and most of it looks like it is there so I started to work on the wings first. I have to figure out the interior colors and find some crew members.

P9260003_zps7fa91909.jpg

P9260002_zps1ebc7a65.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

I assembled some more and started painting some of the interior that might be visible. I also scrounged through my stash and found 4 figures that I might be able to use as the crew. I think the hardest thing with this build is going to be locating torpedoes.

P9280001_zps4da1555a.jpg

Gotta love those old, multi-colored, Matchbox kits. What's this one like, iirc they were a bit hit or miss. For the torpedo's, maybe you can use the ones in one of those Revell Fw-190 kits?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm missing part of the spinners so I'm going to make them.

PA200001_zps51698f2d.jpg

It's blurry but you can see the yellow plastic that I glued to the front part of the spinner with white glue. When I have the yellow down to size and shape I'll mark for orientation and then drop the spinners in water to disolve the white glue. This way I can continue as if I had the kit parts.

Edited by Spectre711
  • 1 month later...

WOW, there's not much time left. I was thinking we had till the end of March but that's wrong.

I just got these resin bomb racks to use that my friend made a copy of the Iteleri ones.

P2160005_zps18f31129.jpg

We will see how far I get. Between work and shoveling snow I've been exhausted and haven't been doing much at all.

Last night after posting I went back to work on the propellers, torpedoes and actually masked and laid down the second color of green.

P2220001_zps8d8f4b58.jpg

P2230002_zps1dcc3bf1.jpg

Today I painted the torpedoes with some steel to contrast with the aluminum color and painted the props.

P2240003_zpsc3ba431a.jpg

Was frustrated with trying to mask the glass and make it look good and just hand painted the frames.

P2240005_zps051e95fa.jpg

I even put some decals on the underside.

P2240006_zps3f471b7a.jpg