modelling in Australia - restrictions?

Guys, I am about to move to Melbourne from Abu Dhabi. I have been looking on line at the modelling shops to see what I can and can't get, as over the next few weeks I have the opportunity to travel to the US and Thailand, where I know stuff is freely available.

One of the things I have noticed is that the Tamiya 'Lacquer' thinners does not seem to be sold, for instance; I know in the UK due to EU rules it isn't permissible to stock it, is it the same in Australia?

If there is anything that you are aware of that cannot be obtained in Australia, please let me know as right now I have a chance to get it

Thanks

One of the things I have noticed is that the Tamiya 'Lacquer' thinners does not seem to be sold, for instance; I know in the UK due to EU rules it isn't permissible to stock it, is it the same in Australia?

Thanks

That's news to me. There's a bottle on my spray bench and one in my spare stock, and both of the model shops I visited today had it in their Tamiya display. I'm in Brisbane but the rules don't vary between states.

What *is* impossible to get is the Mr Color lacquers which don't appear to be sold anywhere here, and other Gunze products are getting a bit awkward to find. I believe that the importer is having some sort of problem - there's not a legal reason for it that I've heard.

Shane

G'day, Les.

Ignore any replies from non-Aussies- there's a lot of people with mistaken impressions of what is and isn't available here, simply because they can't speak Strine :D/> You may need an interpreter for some things (such as "Q-tips").

While there's some things that are hard to find in the LHS (if you can find one- they're getting a bit rare), there's some good mail order shops that will stock them. You can get the full ranges of Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo paints, thinners and putties from BNA Modelworld (http://www.bnamodelworld.com/ - Tamiya 250ml enamel thinner is $9.82- I just checked their site). They're my preferred online retailer here, as their service is very good and the prices reasonable. If you're heading for Melbourne then they're local, in Moorabin, so you should get any order within a couple of days. There's also Frontline, in Newcastle, who stock Tamiya thinner (https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au/ - they have 250ml for $11.99). I only use them if I can't get something at BNA or in Canberra, as their prices are high. I'll also highly recommend Hobby Tools Australia- great service and lots of really useful things (http://www.hobbytools.com.au/).

You may find LHS prices for kits a bit of a wallet-shock (eg a Roden 1/32 kit can be marked at $92), but the Asia hobby shops (HLJ, Luckymodel, etc) can provide the kits you need at much more reasonable prices. If you keep your orders under $1000.00 then they don't attract any GST. There's also ModelNerds (http://modelnerds.weblodge.net/) for 2nd hand kits at good prices and great service.

Once you get settled, mate, you'll find a couple of good aircraft museums in Melbourne as well (eg Point Cook) as well. There's also the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, just a few hours up the road, that is well worth visiting.

I hope you enjoy your time here Les. Be sure to see a bit of the country, if you can. Darwin, Cairns, the NSW south coast are all worth visiting.

Cheers.

Dal.

Editted for typo'

Edited by Dal

Les,

As above. I'm in Sydney and can get pretty much everything from my LHS (HobbyCo). BNA as mentioned stocks a lot of the AM stuff as does Creative Models. I've never had any problems getting anything except that some of the Gunze Aqueous range (namely H301 to H330) is getting a bit rare. When this happens, our Asian neighbours are happy to oblige and freight is very reasonable to Oz.

If you get stuck when you're here, drop me a PM and I'll try and point you in the right direction. HTH and good luck with your move.

Thanks for the replies, guys; you've put my mind at rest, especially when you mentioned that LuckyModel can ship there without massive tax implications, they have been my saviour in Abu Dhabi where there is absolutely nothing for sale.

Like I said, some countries have strange import restrictions (the UK can't import any electronics hardware that has lead based solder, for example) so I was wary, and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to stock up.

You can get Johnsons Future there, right?

As an aside it seems LuckyModel are also having problem getting Gunze paints, so maybe the issue there is the manufacturer or distributor

Thanks again guys

Edited by lesthegringo

You can't get compressors over here, but we've found an ingenious solution.

Grab a Koala, feed it the wrong type of eucalyptus leaves, and insert the air hose into its.....um.....well, we're talking a flatulent koala, so you get the drift.

Good for about 3x1/72 scale kits ;)

But for Christ sake, make sure it is a genuine Koala & not a DropBear.....don't mess with those puppies :o

D, Can't get compressor's here Thommo? Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle (and I should imagine their Melbourne branch called Victorian Hobby Centre) have quite an extensive range of compressors. The only difference is ours are 240v Les. If you have to reort to Thommo's flatulant koala make sure he's a 240v model. If you connect a 110v model to 240v you'll get a flatulant drop bear instead. :lol:

:cheers:,

Ross.

D, Can't get compressor's here Thommo? Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle (and I should imagine their Melbourne branch called Victorian Hobby Centre) have quite an extensive range of compressors. The only difference is ours are 240v Les. If you have to reort to Thommo's flatulant koala make sure he's a 240v model. If you connect a 110v model to 240v you'll get a flatulant drop bear instead. :lol:/>

:cheers:/>,

Ross.

Don't worry, if I need a load of hot air all I will have to do is get one of the locals to talk about their chances of winning the Ashes..... ;)

Les

Thanks for the replies, guys; you've put my mind at rest, especially when you mentioned that LuckyModel can ship there without massive tax implications, they have been my saviour in Abu Dhabi where there is absolutely nothing for sale.

Like I said, some countries have strange import restrictions (the UK can't import any electronics hardware that has lead based solder, for example) so I was wary, and didn't want to pass up the opportunity to stock up.

You can get Johnsons Future there, right?

As an aside it seems LuckyModel are also having problem getting Gunze paints, so maybe the issue there is the manufacturer or distributor

Thanks again guys

You can get Future but it's called Pascoe's Long Life Self Shining Floor Polish here. Same stuff though.

D, Can't get compressor's here Thommo? Frontline Hobbies here in Newcastle (and I should imagine their Melbourne branch called Victorian Hobby Centre) have quite an extensive range of compressors. The only difference is ours are 240v Les. If you have to reort to Thommo's flatulant koala make sure he's a 240v model. If you connect a 110v model to 240v you'll get a flatulant drop bear instead. :lol:/>

:cheers:/>,

Ross.

Just my sorry attempt at Aussie humor. I was even able to get a compressor locally at our hobby shop in our 'city' of 25,000.

Don't worry, if I need a load of hot air all I will have to do is get one of the locals to talk about their chances of winning the Ashes..... ;)/>

Les

Not to mention rugby, cycling, triathlon, swimming, soccer.....we have lost the plot sporting-wise!

A few hours? Try quite a few hours. Like 7! Agree the War Memorial is a must see.

Even in a snowstorm on the Canadian Prairies, a 7-hr drive is still considered nearby in Canada... :woot.gif: Maybe even to an Aussie?!

You'll love Oz! I spent a week there 10 years ago (in Canberra and Sydney), and never wanted to leave. My wife did refuse to drop everything and emigrate with the kids, though... so I went back to the land of ice and snow. People are friendly, weather is fantastic (not as hot and humid as the Arabian peninsula, where I spent 5 long months in 90/91), and above all it's a place where you are free to do whatever you want, as long as it's legal. It should be a refreshing change.

ALF

G'day, Tony.

A few hours? Try quite a few hours. Like 7! Agree the War Memorial is a must see.

Seven? I'm not disagreeing, but I didn't think it took that long on my last trip (about three years ago, and I wasn't hammering it). For all the roadworks they've done, and the bypasses they've put in since the early 80's, things haven't improved much as far as travel times go.

Cheers.

Dal.

PS Alf,

Even in a snowstorm on the Canadian Prairies, a 7-hr drive is still considered nearby in Canada... :woot.gif: Maybe even to an Aussie?!

Seven hours is a reasonable sort of trip. Canada's a bit bigger than Oz, after all, and we may be a tad lazier. :-)

Edited by Dal

Hi dal. Yes about 7 hours sounds pretty much right. You're right about the Hume Highway in the early 80s and it was even worse in the early 70s. It literally was a goat track with a 20' piece of bitumen down the middle. In those days it was nothing to follow a truck for 25 miles uphill and down dale and around all the bends before you got an overtaking lane. And if that truck was following another slower truck guess who used up all the overtaking lane to get past and left you sitting behind an even slower truck. Overtaking lanes (for our overseas friends) in Oz are only built on uphill sections of 2 lane roads and then not all uphill sections. You can still go many kms on 2 lane roads here before you come to an overtaking lane or stretch of 4 lane dual carriage way that's part of a 2 lane road. Of course back in those days the trucks didn't have the power or performance of today's modern trucks. I can't remember reading of any 700 or 800 horsepower trucks like we have today and the roads down that way are much better now than then. If I want to drive to Melbourne I get onto a 4 lane dual carriage way road a couple of kms from my house and it's now 4 lane dual carriageway all the way to Melbourne from there. That's over 1100 kms.

Cheers,

Ross.