Luftwaffe cockpits are painted RLM 02?

Hi guys

Perhaps the following link can be helpful? I have no idea how accurate it is and I am aware that certain aircraft are known to have had certain areas of the cockpit repainted from RLM 02 to RLM 66 prior to the official changeover in November 1941 but overall it does seem to be a nice guide to painting Luftwaffe interiors.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Painting.html

Horrido!

Leo

IIRC- bombers were converted over to RLM 66 cockpits earlier than single-seat aircraft/fighters.

The fighter cockpit transition happened "around 1941", leaves a lot to interpetation. It's not like Fritz walked out on the airfield the next Monday morning and repainted everything! Attrition gave way to new models from the factory so a single squadron may have taken months to transition. Even factory parts certainly were mixed and matched for a while as some sub-assemblies had the new colors ahead of other sub-assemblies.

toadwbg, that is one of the most intelligent statements I've seen posted in a long time. These things didn't occur like drawing down a window shade. there are also folks who think everything in the field was repainted to match the latest RLM standard. That would be a waste of material and mechanics' valuable time. The change would occur on the assembly line, but whereas many interior components were manufactured elsewhere by different companies, it might take some time before all cockpits were the new color completely. I would say both the examples Spectre711 mentions would almost certainly be RLM66. Hal Sr (By the way, repainting an interior would have to be one of the more difficult repaint jobs, and I would esate that it would only occur during a full rebuild. (The Luftwaffe was great for taking salvaged aircraft hulks, and rebuilding them into later variants.) Hal Sr

IIRC, I read somewhere a while back info on this. Fighters went from 02 to 66 sometime in 1942. Bombers were 66 from the get go. Transports were 02. Can't remember what was said about seaplanes.

I can't recall which book it was in. I'd be delighted to get the hard facts on this, too.

IIRC, I read somewhere a while back info on this. Fighters went from 02 to 66 sometime in 1942. Bombers were 66 from the get go. Transports were 02. Can't remember what was said about seaplanes.

I can't recall which book it was in. I'd be delighted to get the hard facts on this, too.

Fighters were in 1941, IIRC

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

It's a He 111H-6 of 1/KG26, but according to the link above the color should be RLM 66. Looks like the Ju188 I have slated to build soon also had RLM 66 in the pit.

According to my research, RLM 66 is correct for the He 111 and undoubtedly for the Ju 188 as well.

Cheers.