Academy 1/48 EA-18 kit???

Thanks Pablo,

Who is reporting it's an Italeri rebox? I understand it happens, but that's kind of a breakdown of truth in advertising. Thanks for the link to the review. I can't tell much about the panel lines etc. Italeri is usually not too serious about panel lines and details in cockpits or gear bays or ordnance. I was thinking it might be a new tool kit from the people who did the new F-4B/N kit. I'll have to re-consider.

The cybermodeler review linked above is for the 2005 Italeri release. The Academy kit is a rebox of the 2013 kit, which is updated to represent a production growler, instead of the concept demonstrator that the 2005 release represented. Still not without it's flaws though.

The cybermodeler review linked above is for the 2005 Italeri release. The Academy kit is a rebox of the 2013 kit, which is updated to represent a production growler, instead of the concept demonstrator that the 2005 release represented. Still not without it's flaws though.

Still has to be easier than the -18F I coerced into resembling an EA-18G years ago :thumbs up:

Hadn't heard Tamiya reboxed Italeri. That's gotta be a shocker. I knew Hasegawa reboxed Monogram and vice versa. Anyway, thanks. Think I'll pass on an Academy Hornet least till I see a comparative review.

Got all excited when I saw a Tamiya 1:72 F-4S online a couple of years ago and ordered it on the spot. Was hoping that they had scaled down their 1:32 kit. Opened the box only to find an Italeri kit inside. Caveat Emptor.

Mark

If it's the Italeri kit, it's not even worth building. Your best bet for a Growler is either to just break down and fork over the cash for the Hasegawa, or get the Revell kit and the SB conversion set (if it's still available). Or if you can find an Italeri Growler cheap at a show, get it for the parts and kit bash with the Revell.

Got all excited when I saw a Tamiya 1:72 F-4S online a couple of years ago and ordered it on the spot. Was hoping that they had scaled down their 1:32 kit. Opened the box only to find an Italeri kit inside. Caveat Emptor.

Mark

not sure why they won't downscale it to 48 and 72nd.

Hadn't heard Tamiya reboxed Italeri.

The Tamiya 1/72 F-16 kit is a reboxed Italeri.

The Revell Germany 1/48 F-16A "Tigermeet" kit is a reboxed Italeri.

Some, not all, of the Italeri 1/48 F-16 kits are reboxed Kinetic.

The scalemates website is pretty good for tracing a kit's 'geneology'... :)

Best "SuperBug" is Hasegawa. Is expensive but very nice. Re-tool Italeri is relative cheap and have gorgeous decal sheet and RoG never relased Growler...Only F/A-18F&E... And now is (in EU) OOP.

Tamiya does rebox Italieri, but only releases them domestically. A pity, since I would like the Tamiya 1/48 Hurricane rebox since they redid the decal sheet with Finnish markings instead of Irish (oh, and because the Tamiya boxing is cheaper than the overpriced Italieri)

Tamiya does rebox Italieri, but only releases them domestically. A pity, since I would like the Tamiya 1/48 Hurricane rebox since they redid the decal sheet with Finnish markings instead of Irish (oh, and because the Tamiya boxing is cheaper than the overpriced Italieri)

Not entirely true. I'm not sure which distributor they got it from (likely Great Planes or Horizon), but my local Hobbytown managed to get the Tamiya rebox of the Italeri Hurricane in 1/48 WITH the Finnish markings. They got it at about the same time the IL-2 kit came out. If they got it from GP, it may still be possible to get this through Tower Hobbies (GP's mail order side). The Tamiya rebox of the Italeri Hawk in Swiss markings was also made available in the states. Periodically, some of the Italeri reboxes have also been offered in the Tamiya packaging as well. Since I still used to work for this particular Hobbytown, I try to advise them periodically as to which kits to get and (usually) which ones to avoid if they already have equivalent Italeri ones on the shelf to begin with.

Edit: I just checked Tower Hobbies and it looks like this is indeed the kit! Sprue Brothers also appears to stock it as well.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBXVH&P=7

Edited by Jay Chladek