p-51b/c help

so i have one of the p-51b/c kits that's in 1/48 scale and this is a recent kit because it came out in 2000 and it gives u a standard canopy or a Malcolm canopy. so i am working on the interior. and i am wondering what color on the left and right sides of the cockpit parts would be like. on the right side there are a lot of boxes and also the hydraulic hand pump and on the left there looks to be a lot of knobs and the landing rear leaver. and i get confused because a lot of war birds of that type of plane seem to paint every knob red

Just be aware of what you looking at when you find that perfect cockpit photo. If it's a contemporaneous photo, there could be variations in the color due to process and time. If it's a modern photo, the aircraft has been restored and could be inaccurate. Hey, 1:1 hobbiests get it wrong too! :)

The Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 article from IPMS Stockholm is a Really Good reference to bookmark. The link points to Part 1, which discusses the colors per-se; Part 2 focuses on USAAF aircraft (the P-51 is about 75% down the page), while Part 3 is about USN aircraft.

Just be aware of what you looking at when you find that perfect cockpit photo. If it's a contemporaneous photo, there could be variations in the color due to process and time. If it's a modern photo, the aircraft has been restored and could be inaccurate. Hey, 1:1 hobbiests get it wrong too! :)/>

The Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 article from IPMS Stockholm is a Really Good reference to bookmark. The link points to Part 1, which discusses the colors per-se; Part 2 focuses on USAAF aircraft (the P-51 is about 75% down the page), while Part 3 is about USN aircraft.

Sorry, but, take the info in the IPMS stockholm links with a grain of salt. I cant verify how much info is inaccurate but I can tell you that there is incorrect info there. I can say that most of the info listed for the B-17 is incorrect. And can someone tell me exactly what part of a B-17 that is in the second pic (second link, B-17 section)? The caption say for the pic says that it is the tail of a B-17F at the Douglas factory in long beach. Sure does not look like a B-17 to me.

B-17 Guy is correct, the P-51 info on IPMS Stockholm is mostly worthless.

You're better off with the Google images, some equipment may vary from what it was in WWII but the colors on these restorations remained mostly the same.

If you're still looking for P-51B/C interiors, go take a look at what Fantasy of Flight has on the Mustang that was restored to Tuskegee Airmen decorations. Kermit Weeks is a stickler for authenticity, and if nothing else, you would have contemporary digital pictures to use for reference.

This is a link to a restored P-51C but I think the colors are pretty accurate. It's a hi-res 360degree virtual tour that can be fun to play with. The plane has been converted to a two seater so the back of the cockpit wont give you much help but the rest is pretty good.

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/360/P51-Mustang/P51_swf.html

The wooden parts on the floor should be painted black, beyond that it's overall pretty good.

And can someone tell me exactly what part of a B-17 that is in the second pic (second link, B-17 section)? The caption say for the pic says that it is the tail of a B-17F at the Douglas factory in long beach. Sure does not look like a B-17 to me.

sprry to go of ftopic here, but are you refering to this picture:

interior_colours_us_31.jpg

cause if so you are looking more or less from the radio room aft. But the rear fusealge is most likely seperated from the forward half.

Here is the closes I could find to a complete section from the same angle:

img_7930.jpg

Sean

No no, not that pic, the second pic. This one,

hhgjhfuyhlfuyhlftgdfd_zpse1919faa.png

Caption from the pics reads: " Another photo of a tail of a camouflaged B-17F Flying Fortress at the Douglas factory in Long Beach. The fuselage construction illuminated by flash behind the workes' heads shows that there were at least two different colours of primer used. Another mystery."

This is a B-17 tail? I think not.

This is a B-17 tail.

IMG_0346_EGSU_JAN2012_G12_zpsd1c82a2f.jpg

That may well be a B-17, but if it is it's a B-17D or earlier.

As for "two colors of primer" - well, it's a 75 year old photograph of unknown provenance, shot on who knows what kind of film with who knows what kind of lighting, reproduced on the web. Making any kind of color pronouncement based on that is pretty iffy.

ok so back to the mustang question. i did finally find the part that shows what i need for the left and right side walls of the plane but there is this one part the hydraulic hand pump. now in the kit they say paint it in a metal color i could see that on a war bird from now but during WW2 would it be the same color as the cockpit and would the little knob be red

On period pictures you can see the hydraulic hand pump being Aluminum or Interior Green with a Red knob, your choice.

I would think the aluminum hand pump was seen on the early P-51B's and got painted later during production.