a business idea

so thanks to one of the newer fine scale modeler magazines that had a interview with a company called click2detail.com which is a company that makes model parts using 3d printing. i will be making threw them conversion parts so model builders can build there own RENO air racers so that means the red Barron rb-51 mustang strega voodoo dago red and the other mustangs pulse parts to turn any f8f-2 bear cat in to rare bear or conquest 1 or any of the other bear cat racers. and for u sea fury fans i will be making parts for September fury and also dreadnaught and the only planes the would be there own kits would be miss Ashley2 tsunami and the pond racer no i will be making these in 1/48 for now but if they sell really good then ill offer my conversions in other scales so i need feed back what dose every body think of this idea?? and my stuff will be better than the high planes kits

ok so what i will be making are 3d printed parts so people can build any air racing plane out there from sterga to voodoo to rare bear and all of the others i will even be doing models for sale of the miss Ashley2 the pond racer and even tsunami i am starting out in 1/48 scale and will go to other scales also so what dose every body think about the idea? i will be posting pictures of the parts once i have them

This is what he is talking about.. Check out their ten pages on BROWSE section...

https://click2detail.com/

https://click2detail.com/content/about-us

https://click2detail.com/content/cad-design-service

https://click2detail.com/most_wanted.php

This might give you a better idea what caftan us trying to say, tell us. :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Wonderful idea Catfan!!

I like the concept and I have considered something similar in the recent past, but have been held back by costs of equipment. I like the idea of Being able to store all cad files and not have a single part produced til ordered. Also, imagine creating your own parts and sets!! I know some members enjoy this already but WOW! Aside from model kits, the possibilities are endless with a 3d printer.

Thanks for sharing Catfan

holmes and wayfarer 30 thank u so much for the help of getting my idea across better. i do know it will be easier to show off once i have the parts in front of me. but i love the 3d print idea because i can make any model part i want and it will have the right shape to it

Do you know CAD design?

Have you gotten a quote for printing?

Are you going to recast your prints? or do you think your going to sell the prints?

Can they produce a usable print for your scale?

You might find the idea cost prohibitive, it is quite expensive to get a high quality print, in our scale world the stepping associated with the printing process is quite noticeable and has to be corrected via allot of tedious hand work.

A good quality print costs on average $300-$400.00 for a 3X3 inch plate.

Keep researching and make some calls, there most likely are shops with the equipment closer to you than you think, pay them a visit, bring a sample of what you want to make and ask them if they are capable of doing it.

Curt

I think producing kits/Mods to build 1/48 scale race planes is a great idea, definitely a neglected subject IMHO. But, not sure if the 3D printing is the way to go...yet. If one of the well known Resin part manufactures put some mod kits out there, I would be first in line to buy some. Then if another well known Decal company pushed out some nice decals for them...I would probably go broke.

V/r

Ron

I've done some design work for C2D. Seems like a good company, and some friends have had parts printed by them w/ good results.

That is inspiring Catfan! Keep me posted on your progress.

Mike

Mike .... It was Adam Baker who said HE HAD done some design work for CLICK2DETAIL.. :rolleyes:

You can produce quality work, but until you start writing like a professional I won't be buying anything.

I would agree with this thought process...if he were here trying to sell term papers or technical manuals. But I fell to see how grammar in a modeling forum translates to quality of service for aftermarket parts. But that's just me, you are certainly free to opt out of course. I wonder how well Francios Verlinden spoke and wrote English when he started out? hmm...

Bill

But I fell to see how grammar in a modeling forum translates to quality of service for aftermarket parts.

Accuracy and attention to detail come to mind, as do instructions and shipping labels...

Accuracy and attention to detail come to mind, as do instructions and shipping labels...

I get what you're saying, I really do. But how many people refuse to buy Trumpeter or Hobby Boss etc. because their English translations are usually shaky at best? My point is, IF he is doing quality parts you want at affordable prices (not saying he is, just for stating for example), it doesn't make sense to me to not buy them because his grammar isn't so great. That is assuming you'd buy them had his grammar been more proper. That's all I meant. I get it about professionalism and image and all that, but we are talking about a small cottage type business are we not? I don't expect my auto mechanic to be able to write a 1000 word dissertation about the internal combustion engine and I surely wouldn't go to an English professor to work on my fuel injectors. But again, it's everyone's right to take it or leave it for whatever reason they feel. I'm just stating an alternate side to it.

Bill

I don't have any parts that I need made at the moment. I've had plenty of projects in the past that I wished I could make parts for and I'm sure I'll have plenty more in the future.

My questions are about CAD.

What can you tell me about it? Can you answer my previous questions please?

Are there any free or cheap CAD programs you would recommend?

I'm also interested in the cost of having the click2detail make the parts. I haven't contacted them because I don't even know about CAD yet.