Looks like the previous thread on the NFL season was lost due to the great ARC server crash of 2013. So... just wanted to give a some props to the NE Patriots. I know they are the team to hate but you have admit that they are still getting it done. Pretty much starting over, Welker is gone, Gronk is still out (wuss), Amendola is still out, Hernandez is (hopefully) waiting to be sentenced to life plus 20 years, Wilfork went down tonight, Vereen is out, etc, etc. After all this, they are still 4-0. The team is running on rookies (Mulligan caught at TD pass, who the hell is Mulligan?) and yet they still are winning. You can argue that they have faced some substandard teams but Atlanta is better than their record suggests and Buffalo is looking to be pretty strong as well. I'm loving this season so far. The old Pat's approach (no defense, just keep throwing the ball to 3 select receivers) was getting old. This is a much more balanced team. Talib makes a huge difference, they actually have a bit of defense against the pass this year.

Anyway, that is my Pats rant. As far as the rest of the league, my pick to go all the way is Seattle, maybe Denver as a close second. Still can't believe that NE let Welker go - huge mistake that will come back to haunt them. At least I have Manning as my FF QB.

Also, it's great to see NY Giants, SF and Baltimore sucking.

Edited by 11bee

Steelers are looking "turrible" but I still love em win, loss, or draw. It could be worse, I have watched them lose two super bowls.

No offense John, but it looked like that Patriots did everything they could to help the Falcons out, and the Falcons still couldn't get it done!! Can't remember the last time a lost onsides and fumble like that didn't result in a loss. Meanwhile as you mention, Welker is helping the Broncos look like the '07 pats

Its been a weird season so far. I don't think anyone predicted the Jets being the more put together NY football team. The Eagles have indeed put together a team that electrifies games, just not for the Eagles.

original.gif

And the Chiefs are 4-0 of course. :jaw-dropping:

Giants have been outscored 7-69 in the last 2 games against the PANTHERS and CHIEFS?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I'm just excited as to how well the Dolphins and Saints game will go on Monday night. Both teams are 4 and 0, the Fins are playing VERY well and while the Saints have had a couple scares in their previous outings this season, it seems they are really gelling on the defense side while Brees and Graham are keeping the offense on track.

And how about them Detroit Lions? The Bears are playing great, but the Lions defense had their number today with the turnovers they caused. As for the Lions offense... I blame it on Bush. ;)/>

Edited by Jay Chladek

Is it me or is there generally less interest in the NFL this year? I route for the Steelers, and they are just making themselves comfortable at the bottom of the division. When my team is performing this badly and I lose interest, I tend to think to whole league is uninteresting. But, all the injuries in the NFL during the preseason, new rules disproportionately penalizing defensive players, and all the hyped up players/teams doing poorly (see RGIII, the Eagles, 49ers), makes me think the NFL is not as good as it used to be. I guess the Pirates doing so well also factors in.

I went to Wembley last night for the Steelers/Vikings game, first time I've watched NFL at a stadium and thoroughly enjoyed it. From being way behind the Steelers almost engineered overtime at the last gasp, but the Vikings held on. If London were to get a franchise I'd definitely think about getting a season ticket.

peebeep

Is it me or is there generally less interest in the NFL this year? I route for the Steelers, and they are just making themselves comfortable at the bottom of the division. When my team is performing this badly and I lose interest, I tend to think to whole league is uninteresting. But, all the injuries in the NFL during the preseason, new rules disproportionately penalizing defensive players, and all the hyped up players/teams doing poorly (see RGIII, the Eagles, 49ers), makes me think the NFL is not as good as it used to be. I guess the Pirates doing so well also factors in.

For me my situation for the NFL just sucks, I live in Texas so I'm either watching cowboys or Texans, I work sunday afternoons so i miss the late game luckily I still catch sunday night football, but I work Monday nights so no MNF. I have the NFL network but those thursday night games just suck. Even if my team is having a bad season I would still rather watch them. not having sunday ticket has taken a lot of enjoyment of the NFL for me. That and the concussions turning everyone's brain to mush, and as you mention, defenses not being allowed to play defense. I look forward to the day where its just like the pro bowl or like the NBA-- defense is secondary to scoring in 100+ point games and fouls are completely subjective

I went to Wembley last night for the Steelers/Vikings game, first time I've watched NFL at a stadium and thoroughly enjoyed it. From being way behind the Steelers almost engineered overtime at the last gasp, but the Vikings held on. If London were to get a franchise I'd definitely think about getting a season ticket.

peebeep

I was at Wembley as well. I've been a Steeler fan for nigh-on thirty years now, and this was my first chance to catch them live - and on my 40th birthday as well! Sadly, Ben & co didn't pull it off in the end.

Vince

Defenses not being allowed to play defense? Well, I just saw the Saints defense do a pretty good job at something they were not allowed to do and got some pretty impressive turnovers in the process. Things change, things evolve. But eventually things get to equalibrium as teams adjust. If things didn't evolve, the Falcons would likely still be finding a use for the 1970s era "Grits Blitz".

Well, the Steelers sure are bad this year. Its going to get worse before it gets any better. Too many poor draft choices/busts over the past few years and its going to take a while to recover from that.

I've always been and will be a huge Steelers' fan but overall, NFL football is losing a bit of my interest. It's just not the same with defenses being hampered by the rules. Too much offense. Too many TV ads. I guess I could sum it up by saying the NFL a lot more hype than substance.

At least the 'Burgh gets a home playoff game tomorrow. Go Buccos!!! Also, Penguins start this week. All is not lost in Pittsburgh even if the football season is (and it is).

TT, If you like some nuts and bolts football coverage, check out "The Terrible Podcast." Two guys talking insider Steelers football 2 or 3 times a week. Not a very polished production, but very good inside stuff from two knowledgeable guys.

The game is changing rapidly and not in a good way. I understand the CBA and everything but looks like the reduction in padded practices and reduction in total practice hours is having adverse effects. More players seem to get injured in recent preseasons, and except for a few teams there is a decline in overall running game quality. Nowadays the 'defenseless receiver' penalty is becoming so absurd that there is very little d-backs can do without getting flagged. Worse, the hits are now targeting players' legs and knees, which is much worse than the chest or upper back. I started cringing even more lately when I see knees flexing in ways they are not supposed to.

Concussion is the other part of the equation. They are trying to address that but it is a lose-lose situation. Old-school football is not good for long term brain health, I get that and don't wish concussion on anyone. But the way they deal with the problem leads to other types of injuries, most notably potentially career ending knee injuries. For the longest time I have been envisioning knee braces that minimize or completely eliminate flex in the sideways and backward directions without interfering with natural leg movement. And no, don't throw at me those flimsy braces offensive line players put on. If they worked well everybody would be using them. For concussions, some analysts say unless helmets are removed you won't solve the problem. Sometimes I wonder if that is indeed a good idea.

All in all, I am having a hard time deciding what I would like to see. I sure don't like offense-dominant, high passing games with college-like scores. The alternative isn't good either. I will be honest, I wouldn't want my son to play football, and it bothers me quite a bit that I still watch pro-football for entertainment. Talk about hypocrisy... There goes my confession.

I find I'm more interested in the NFL than I've been since the early 90s, though admittedly I know very little about all the off-field goings-on. For my part I don't mind this more offensive-minded, open style... mind, I am more used to the Canadian game...

As far as injuries go, the concussion thing is a big question in hockey, too... the NHL is as usual behind the curve in that but it /is/ slowly being addressed. But I think it's something that can be dealt with more easily in hockey than in football... I'm starting to wonder now if rugby has the same sort of issues with head injuries as football? And if not - why not, and can what they do be adapted at all to football?

Defenses not being allowed to play defense? Well, I just saw the Saints defense do a pretty good job at something they were not allowed to do and got some pretty impressive turnovers in the process.

Talk to me after they have played an elite offense, and not the Dolphins. Ray Lewis made the point the other night that one of the reasons the Colts lost to the Pats so often back around 05ish was that the Pats D just roughed them up and down the field and Marvin Harrison and Ty Law hit people-- hard. QBs got attacked, and they basically out physically played them and did many things that are now not allowed.

And if we want to specifically talk about the Saints D resurgence this season we may want to remember why they were in a decline last year.

my 0.2

I'm starting to wonder now if rugby has the same sort of issues with head injuries as football? And if not - why not, and can what they do be adapted at all to football?

no helmets means more mindful tackling.

Thanks Shawn C :thumbsup:

Talk about hypocrisy... There goes my confession.

Its never been a gentle sport, thats why we like it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/13/v-fullstory/3179926/dan-le-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html

I'm starting to wonder now if rugby has the same sort of issues with head injuries as football? And if not - why not, and can what they do be adapted at all to football?

Any hit above the shoulder is a penalty. No leading with the head, shoulder charges etc. Accidental forearms aside:

Plus rather than bashing or running into someone, there is a skill in tackling the ball holder.

Edited by Tony P

A big part of Football is imparting violence. You keep hitting them and eventually they tire of being hit. As the game grinds on the cracks begin to show. Its attrition. I saw a program on the telly about highschools trying to hit cleaner, and take some physicality out of the game for safety sake, but the problem is that its a game that rewards inflicting pain, and all it takes is one team to start hitting hard again to restart the arms race of being the psychically dominating team. Even at the high school level coaches are under pressure to win.

I do enjoy football, maybe its just being aware of it now but I do kind of watch the ads (and there are soooo many of them in the average game) with more skepticism. I think the NFL is nervous. I see lots of ads trying to connect football with the "fabric of america," and commercials about tackle football safety programs. there is an element that has always been like that, but it seems more on the nose now. YMMV

TT you're closer than I am so do me a favor, find out where Tony Ro MO NOOOOO lives and board up his house so he can't get to the game then, Hypnotize , Brady, Brees, or Russell Wilson into playing QB for the 'boys. I'll let the Big "H" keep Schaub, I don't want another head/heart ache. Oh and convince Rex Ryan to comeback and coach the "D". Maybe Andy Reid could replace Garrett, and lastly but not leastly, get Jerruh to sell the team.

Plus rather than bashing or running into someone, there is a skill in tackling the ball holder.

https://www.youtube....h?v=TyDpjjarQ5Q

I've often thought and said that NFLr's could learn a lot from Rugby tacklers!

I'm less interested in the NFL every year owing to the propensity of commercials while watching on TV. Punishing! A 60 minute game now takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours to watch. A team can not take advantage of a turnover these days. (interception, fumble recovery etc) There has to now be a 5 minute break for commercials. What happened to the old days when your team could take advantage of these turnovers right away! Get your offence on the field ASAP, while the other team is still reeling from their change of fortune, and throw deep.

Unfortunately professional hockey seems to buying into this as well!

A 60 minute game now takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours to watch. A team can not take advantage of a turnover these days. (interception, fumble recovery etc) There has to now be a 5 minute break for commercials. What happened to the old days when your team could take advantage of these turnovers right away! Get your offence on the field ASAP, while the other team is still reeling from their change of fortune, and throw deep.

Alvin my good man welcome to the group of Die hard purist who want more product and sales. However unfortunately those commercials pay for the game as we see it, and pays the salaries of the guys we watch, while making billionaires of the owners. Sad as it is to say without those ads we might not have the luxury of sitting home and watching a game all the way on the other coast. Thought they are hated they are needed.

Greywolf:

At 63 yrs old, I am fully cognizant of the finances involved. Still doesn't make it right or "interesting". I started watching NFL in the 50s when the local American station (CBS-Buffalo) carried the Cleveland Browns games. (Prior to the AFL and the subsequent merger with the NFL). Hell, the CFL was an alternative to the NFL, salary wise, for disgruntled American bred players. Tobin Rote, "Cookie" Gilchrist, Joe Theisman et al.

Funny tho, the English Premier League (Soccer) whose salaries, marketing, owners money etc more than equal NFL stats can broadcast 45 minute halfs uninterrupted with a 10-15 minute half-time full of commercials and analysis then another un-interrupted 45 minute half. World class rugby is the same.

Just sayin'

Alvin5182

Funny tho, the English Premier League (Soccer) whose salaries, marketing, owners money etc more than equal NFL stats can broadcast 45 minute halfs uninterrupted with a 10-15 minute half-time full of commercials and analysis then another un-interrupted 45 minute half. World class rugby is the same.

Just sayin'

Alvin5182

A couple years ago after an entire spring and summer of watching soccer sometimes two games a day, NFL football seemed to move perilously slow. Sometimes I feel football is cutting into my commercial time!