The last real NFL game was played back in the 90's, the rest after that have been NAFL games (National Amateur Football League). In the NFL you didn't have wideouts screaming for a flag every time they didn't catch a pass, or players almost moonwalking after every tackle. Pro football games are entertaining enough without the after play antics. If the NFL had stopped Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and Marc Gastineau from all these antics way back; we wouldn't have to listen or watch all the self serving BS that goes on now, some before, some especially during and even after the games are over. You never saw Hall of Famers, like Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly, Curley Culp, Carl Eller, Mean Joe Greene dancing after a tackle. Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, Roger Staubach, never chest bumped a receiver after a TD catch...but then I guess they were paid to play football and not draw attention to themselves for doing what they were paid to do, ie they were Professionals.

Just some FYI for our non Canadian pro football friends.

Thanks for the input, Les. I have set a reminder for next June to start looking out for it. I have no doubt it is possible to enjoy both games, recognizing that they are different - not better, not worse, just different.

Stacey

The last real NFL game was played back in the 90's

If you're going to go that route, I'm inclined to agree with an even OLDER player who said that American football died when they started assigning roles to players - that Football was really about having guys who could play all positions and weren't built for only one. Otherwise it's just another "things were so much more real/tougher back in my day" circle.

Thanks for the input, Les. I have set a reminder for next June to start looking out for it. I have no doubt it is possible to enjoy both games, recognizing that they are different - not better, not worse, just different.

Stacey

Stacey.

In terms of the ultimate caliber of athlete the NFL would rule as its money is probably 20 times larger per team. That said because the games are very different not all the assets that the NFL likes in its players would work well in the CFL and of course vice versa. Typically the players who excel in the CFL are lighter,leaner and able to run a faster pace of play. In the NFL players are more likely larger, taller and more machine and brute like. It is this that creates such a variance in games and if one is a pro football fan can enjoy both leagues greatly.

As a Canadian of course I carry a national pride in my game that of course I'd not expect any US watcher to have but I have no national interest in the NFL and still enjoy the game and have my long time fav. teams, Seattle and San Francisco. Last night's NFC Championship game I rooted ever so more for Seattle as Seattle has yet to win a Superbowl (not that they have yet ^_^/>/>/ ) and S.F. has 5 to their name. But the spectacle of the NFL is enamoring as well as great game play.

This said the CFL has had big name NFLers come to play in its past and have seen them fall on their face. Vince Ferregamo (???), Mark Gasteneau to name but two. But former CFLers have made it big in the NFL. Warren Moon maybe the most notable, but also Doug Flutie (though he never got the respect he deserved in the NFL) Jeff Garcia did ok in the NFL, and currently Cam Wake who played for the B.C. Lions before going to Miami.

Some other CFL info...

Unlimited movement in the backfield prior to the snap.

Both teams line up 1 yard off the ball and not nose to nose as in the NFL.

We have the single point for a missed field goal. It's uniquely a Canadian thing and is interesting at times when close games are on.

OT is settled under the current rules, if the score is tied at the end of a game, each team gets an opportunity to scrimmage from its opponent’s 35-yard-line, until it makes a score or loses possession.

If the score remains tied, the procedure is repeated at the opposite end of the stadium.

If the score is still tied after each team has had two attempts, the game is declared a tie during the regular season. If the game is a playoff or championship game, the same procedure continues until a winner is decided.

Each team may have a maximum of 42 players, including 3 players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 39 other players, of whom not more than 19 may be imports (ie: US Born).

Teams must have a minimum of 41 players, including two players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 39 other players, of whom not more than 19 may be imports.

Each team must establish a reserve roster of 4 players. These 4 players may be imports or non-imports.

Roster Breakdown Import (US Born as typical) 19 Non-Import (Canadian Born) 20 Quarterbacks (either US or Cdn. ) 3

CFL has the 3:00 min. warning clock were as the NFL has the 2:00 warning.

CFL has 2 timeouts per team per game, not the 3 per half as the NFL.

CFL has a 20 sec. play clock but it does not start at the stop of the previous play much like the NFL 40 second clock. The Ref. whistles in the 20 sec. clock. It's still a bit faster paced than the NFL but not as much as some CFL fans often believe.

The CFL does not have the fair catch rule on punts or kick offs. It has the no yards rule. Opposing teams must give 5 yards to the man receiving a punt or kick before they can try to tackle him. Failing to do so results in either a 5 yard penalty if no yards was deemed unintentional or 15 yard penalty if it's deemed intentional.

Just a bit more FYI. B)/>

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

Doug Flutie played in the USFL and NFL before he played in the CFL ...

He returned to the NFL after his CFL experience ...

-Gregg

That's correct, however his first go around with the NFL was poor as the league did not give him the props for his ability. The USFL was pretty good for him but the league died. After his enormous success in the CFL is when he did get a good but IMO still slightly disrespectful shot with the NFL.

It's kinda funny how both Wilson and Kaepernick today are very much similar to the style of QB Flutie had so much ability with and good success in being.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that the FBI has been called in because they suspect that Manning and the Broncos have been kidnapped and the local high school team is playing in their place........

I'm telling you, the Broncos should have thrown several bags of Cheetos on the field after the kickoff, they would be leading 56-3 by now......

:thumbsup: :lol:

What do you mean; Colorado has legalized Marijuana too, so it'd be one happy love fest!

Man, that was a fun game for Seahawks fans.

Yeah, but the Seahawks had a major problem with players violating the NFL's drug policy this year.

Well, that was the last good game of the season. Super Bowl's going to be a yawner.

Man, Good call Brian! :thumbsup:

Yeah, but the Seahawks had a major problem with players violating the NFL's drug policy this year.

That is so weird, its not like Pete Caroll to have a championship team with some shady players and undercurrents going on...

And the Broncos didn't with Von Miller's suspension? He didn't just get caught, he got caught TAMPERING with his urine sample.

I will say this, while I was rooting for the Broncos, personally I had no problems if the Seahawks had managed to win the SB, given they never had before. So the number of franchises that have won Super Bowls has grown to 19. As for Denver, they were messed up from the first safety. I had one guy at work telling me being down by two points shouldn't have mattered and I called bullspit on that. The Broncos likely had this idea to control the clock with steady run plays for short yardage and conversions. Getting behind that early meant that they now had to start chucking the ball down the field a bit more and that got them into a deeper hole. The kickoff return at the start of the third quarter for a TD did not help matters either (and it was a pretty lousy kick too). The momentum from it also helped to fire up the Hawks too.

It just goes to show, you can prepare for everything you think you need to prepare for. Get rattled by something and those plans can become as worthless as the paper they are printed on. This is why the game is played as it is NEVER going to be a sure thing.

Another thing that I think the Broncos flubbed on strategically, is that it appeared their main thrust was to stop Lynch and they focused on him, thinking that was all they had to do. But Russel Wilson can run and throw, too, and did. We beat them point wise both on defense and offense - it's more than stopping Marshawn.

Another thing that I think the Broncos flubbed on strategically, is that it appeared their main thrust was to stop Lynch and they focused on him, thinking that was all they had to do. But Russel Wilson can run and throw, too, and did. We beat them point wise both on defense and offense - it's more than stopping Marshawn.

Don't forget special teams.