Loving life this AM. Got to witness an epic "battle of the QB gods" (as hyped by the NFL and sports press) last night - Patriots vrs Denver.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. If the Pats didn't shoot themselves in the foot on some inexcusable turnovers in Q1 and then get robbed in the second half by horrible non-calls on pass interference, they would have blown out Denver and I wouldn't be so tired this AM due to the game going late into OT. Nice to see Manning get spanked once in a while, also was nice to see Welker pretty much get shut down.

Some of the sports commentators are saying that this game was a preview of the AFC championship but I think that is way too premature. Patriots still seem to have a knack for self-inflicted injuries. I'm sticking to my forecast of a first round playoff defeat.

On other games, I continue to be impressed by Carolina's ability to commit fouls and avoid a flag. Regardless, you have to give them credit, they are turning out to be powerhouse. Cams ability to run is a lethal weapon. Only problem with running QB's is that sooner or later they are going to run against the wrong guy and end up hurt (RGIII comes to mind as a prime example). However, this does seem to be the way of the future. Makes for an interesting comparison to old-school QB's like Manning and Brady who have pretty much zero mobility.

San Diego just reinforced my opinion that KC is a highly over-rated team.

Also nice to see Pittsburgh back on track.

Loving life this AM. Got to witness an epic "battle of the QB gods" (as hyped by the NFL and sports press) last night - Patriots vrs Denver.

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. If the Pats didn't shoot themselves in the foot on some inexcusable turnovers in Q1 and then get robbed in the second half by horrible non-calls on pass interference, they would have blown out Denver and I wouldn't be so tired this AM due to the game going late into OT. Nice to see Manning get spanked once in a while, also was nice to see Welker pretty much get shut down.

The pats were determined to lose it the first half, and the donkeys determined to lose it the second half.

However, this does seem to be the way of the future.

I disagree.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mobile-quarterback-era-not-a-thing,34490/

the NFL is protecting pocket passers more and more as well. Its going to get to the point where we will have to explain to our kids that there used to actually be QBs who ran out of their pocket to get yards someday. Back when you could tackle the QB of course. :rolleyes:/>

Makes for an interesting comparison to old-school QB's like Manning and Brady who have pretty much zero mobility.

It does! in the sense that no mobile QB has won a Super Bowl in the last 13 years and manning and brady have been to 7 of them in that same time span, while Vick got close once, Kapernick took over towards the end last season and... well... is there anyone else on the mobile side post 2000? If you want dazzling plays get a mobile QB, it will be fun for a while at least. If you want victories and championships and dynasties, Brees, Mannings, Brady, Big Ben, and sort of a Flacco, Dilfer, Johnson, are what you are looking at. Vick has yet to play a full 16 game season himself.

San Diego just reinforced my opinion that KC is a highly over-rated team.

what happens if they beat denver this week? They might both be overrated!

Also nice to see Pittsburgh back on track.

agreed

Go Seahawks! :banana:/>

Yeah, the Hawks deserved that win. I had to turn it off part way through the fourth quarter as I couldn't stand listening to Grudden's commentary anymore (they don't call him "Jaws" for nothing). I picture Seattle going deep in the playoffs and ANY team who has to do a playoff game up there is going to have their work cutout for them. Saints still have a good shot at the post-season if they can zinger Carolina twice... starting this Sunday.

Go Seahawks! :banana:/>/>

I'm starting to get rather sick of Drew Breesus looking at the Refs for a penalty every time he gets touched with more than a sweet handshake. Glancing blows to the face are why face masks exist. :crying2:/> Between this and the 9ers game I think its clear he needs a red shirt with some flags on it.

Seattle's D was seemingly blanketing every inch of the field, and the Saints aren't slouches...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Ron Jaworski is the one with the nickname, "Jaws" ...

Seattle is looking very stout ...

I can see them winning it all this year ...

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Yea I was really hoping Gruden would take the USC coaching job. He has made MNF virtually unwatchable for me. He and the guy from Thursday night football both need to be muzzled. Mike Mayock or something. He need shuts up the entire game.

Yea I was really hoping Gruden would take the USC coaching job. He has made MNF virtually unwatchable for me. He and the guy from Thursday night football both need to be muzzled. Mike Mayock or something. He need shuts up the entire game.

I don't mind Mayock because he is a big combine guy so he actually gives really relevant info like "The 5th round draft pick out of Miami on a screen pass really showed his acceleration there. When he was drafted there were concerns about a previous shoulder injury..."

Rather than

"This is what I am talking about Mike! Big guy! goes fast! makes play!! Gruden Grinder!!" :bandhead2:

I'm starting to get rather sick of Drew Breesus looking at the Refs for a penalty every time he gets touched with more than a sweet handshake. Glancing blows to the face are why face masks exist. :crying2:/>/> Between this and the 9ers game I think its clear he needs a red shirt with some flags on it.

You can't blame the guy for playing the game by the rules he is given. If the NFL is going to start making these glances penalties, he'd be stupid for not trying to do a little acting to get a penalty call when they are losing so bad and nothing seems to be going his way. Besides, I know it wasn't an amount that would have been a game changer, but the few times he got a bogus penalty called his way probably didn't offset the number of times the Seahawks secondary got away with a mugging. They are good, VERY good, but they still dished out a few non-called interferences as well. And it's part of the game for them to try to get away with it.

Bill

ESPN guys are picking the Pats verses the Seahawks, but I don't think the Pats have enough to get there, and if they do the Seahawks will eat them alive! The way they went thru the Saints last night was most impressive! Broncos are dealing with some nagging injuries right now, but if they heal up they could win it all.

gary

I'm starting to get rather sick of Drew Breesus looking at the Refs for a penalty every time he gets touched with more than a sweet handshake. Glancing blows to the face are why face masks exist. :crying2:/>/> Between this and the 9ers game I think its clear he needs a red shirt with some flags on it.

Seattle's D was seemingly blanketing every inch of the field, and the Saints aren't slouches...

Tom Brady is just as bad if not worse! During the game with the Texans he got sacked. As he was going down, a defensive player (Brooks Reed) hits him in the head with his shoulder cause he couldn't avoid him at all. And they throw a penalty cause Brady wants one. :bandhead2:

One of the things Warren Moon (former player, now one of the Seahawks radio guys) said last night is that he'd like to see replay reviews of all personal fouls now to try and judge intent as much as the technicality of a foul. I'm inclined to agree. I understand the NFL wants to protect themselves from liability with injuries, but there's times when it's just a plain old accident that no one could have foreseen.

Tom Brady is just as bad if not worse! During the game with the Texans he got sacked. As he was going down, a defensive player (Brooks Reed) hits him in the head with his shoulder cause he couldn't avoid him at all. And they throw a penalty cause Brady wants one. :bandhead2:/>/>

Brady is a bit of a drama queen but what should one do? Talk the ref out of throwing the flag? A 15-yard personal foul can be a game changer and at the end of the day, Brady's (or any other QB's) job is to win games for his team. Patriots got robbed against the Panthers on a very bogus non-pass interference call, I'll take the equally bogus penalty against Houston and call things even.

I think the NFL needs to take a hard look at officiating errors in the off-season and try to make some changes. This year has been pretty bad.

You can't blame the guy for playing the game by the rules he is given. If the NFL is going to start making these glances penalties, he'd be stupid for not trying to do a little acting to get a penalty call when they are losing so bad and nothing seems to be going his way. Besides, I know it wasn't an amount that would have been a game changer, but the few times he got a bogus penalty called his way probably didn't offset the number of times the Seahawks secondary got away with a mugging. They are good, VERY good, but they still dished out a few non-called interferences as well. And it's part of the game for them to try to get away with it.

Bill

My hard core football friends are a lot less critical of Soccer these days. Ronaldo dives, Brees Dives, Tom Brady was acting like such a child his former team mate Rodney Harrison Called him out on it "take off the skirt".

The problem long term is it hurts footballs validity, Not to mention it puts further pressure on the referees to make critical decisions that affect the outcome of the game. We saw this with the 9ers and Brees being hit just a couple weeks ago. plus the "Star calls" this is not about "protecting the QBs" its about protecting certain QBs. Keep it up and The future is the pro bowl, and the pro bowl sucks, its bad football. the NFL is not invincible. its a still a product that people need to feel is worth their dollar, the second that stops it will have as much pull as MLS, or see the nose dive that Major league baseball took after the 94 strike that was only "rescued" by steroid abusing players trying to break HR records.

Like the players the NFL is large but still in danger of injury. ITs doing its best to be a "family sport" and not a blood sport like MMA or Boxing, and in light of the evidence thats harder and harder to pull off. Its one of the reasons they are trying to make themselves appear as integral to America and the American way as mom and apple pie.

Brady is a bit of a drama queen but what should one do? Talk the ref out of throwing the flag?

If a flag gets thrown it gets thrown, but what Tom and others could do is stop looking at the ref and then gesturing toward their knee or face until the ref throws the flag. There is a huge difference between things happening, and campaigning for things to happen. Im not asking them to "talk the ref our of throwing the flag, I am asking if they could stop talking the ref into throwing the flag

A 15-yard personal foul can be a game changer and at the end of the day, Brady's (or any other QB's) job is to win games for his team. Patriots got robbed against the Panthers on a very bogus non-pass interference call, I'll take the equally bogus penalty against Houston and call things even.

Refs screw Patriots with Panthers so the Texans pay? And this makes sense? This is the future of the game? a ton of terrible calls that result in a winner at one point?

I'm off to kick my dog now, until my wife learns her lesson

I think the NFL needs to take a hard look at officiating errors in the off-season and try to make some changes. This year has been pretty bad.

The new normal, with more rules and rule changes and game changing missed decisions to come. Everyone is preparing their apology emails to last years replacement refs right?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

This weeks thoughts:

Patriots get a wonderful "PI in the end zone" make up call

TT Cries as Brown steps out of bounds and Steelers lose AT HOME in the SNOW to a traveling tropical team (Wish Tomlin had been on the sideline to steer Brown inside!)

Cowboys Defense still god awful. (I blame Romo)

Despite the weather more touchdowns scored than any other weekend in NFL history, with lots of big game referee controversy too

This weeks thoughts:

Patriots get a wonderful "PI in the end zone" make up call

Despite the weather more touchdowns scored than any other weekend in NFL history, with lots of big game referee controversy too

That call on the Browns was 100% bogus. As much as I like to see the Pats win, that truly sucked. Cleveland played a hard game, too bad it came down to a blown call. In the big scheme of things, I guess it offsets a couple of crappy calls that went against the Patriots in previous games. I'd rather have seen Brady try to go the 30 yards to score rather than be set up with 1st and goal from the one with half a minute on the clock. Browns still have to take some responsibility. When push came to shove, they choked on some key plays in the 4th quarter.

All in all, I'd rather have seen the Patriots lose and kept Gronkowski healthy. That's a huge loss to the team (as the statistics this season have shown). Any chance they had to go deep into the playoffs is now pretty much nil. The worst part is, I think officiating is partially to blame for Gronk's injury. Defensive players are terrified about about hitting a receiver high and getting fined (not to mention incurring the inevitable yellow flag as well). The guy that took out Gronk stated that this was in his mind when he chose to hit him low. Gronk won't be the last receiver to get knocked out for a season. Other D players have already publicly stated that they are going for a receivers legs due to fear of getting flagged for a high hit. There will be many more to come, all due to the new rules designed to "protect" certain players.

Let's keep them 100% safe and issue flags for QB's and receivers. No tackling allowed.

That call on the Browns was 100% bogus. As much as I like to see the Pats win, that truly sucked. Cleveland played a hard game, too bad it came down to a blown call. In the big scheme of things, I guess it offsets a couple of crappy calls that went against the Patriots in previous games. I'd rather have seen Brady try to go the 30 yards to score rather than be set up with 1st and goal from the one with half a minute on the clock. Browns still have to take some responsibility. When push came to shove, they choked on some key plays in the 4th quarter.

All in all, I'd rather have seen the Patriots lose and kept Gronkowski healthy. That's a huge loss to the team (as the statistics this season have shown). Any chance they had to go deep into the playoffs is now pretty much nil. The worst part is, I think officiating is partially to blame for Gronk's injury. Defensive players are terrified about about hitting a receiver high and getting fined (not to mention incurring the inevitable yellow flag as well). The guy that took out Gronk stated that this was in his mind when he chose to hit him low. Gronk won't be the last receiver to get knocked out for a season. Other D players have already publicly stated that they are going for a receivers legs due to fear of getting flagged for a high hit. There will be many more to come, all due to the new rules designed to "protect" certain players.

Let's keep them 100% safe and issue flags for QB's and receivers. No tackling allowed.

there is a difference between blown calls on the last play of the game and during the course of one which is what may or may not have happened in Foxboro Sunday.

The best thing the Cowboys can do is not make it to the Playoffs, and avoid the embarrassment of another one and done :( Oh well Seattle looks good. Wake up Jerry you're doing something wrong!!!. Nobody want's to be your coach, and it appears the defense is just drawing a paycheck.