For this GB, I'm building the 1/48 Hobbyboss A-10, which was kindly given to me by Benner. I will be using an Afterburner decalsheet to build A-10 82-0649 during Operation Allied Force in 1999.

Since my previous thread went to the moon during the great crash, I will just repost the pics I took during the build.

Cockpit:

P9082865_zpsb444ce45.jpg

Gun assembly, with the ammo drum stuffed with lead for noseweight:

P9102869_zpse344f71e.jpg

And most of the big parts glued together with putty applied:

P9232885_zpsa95bc6a4.jpg

By now, most of the sanding is done, and I'm adding the flaps and putting the engines together.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the pylons now. Hobbyboss provided the usual amount of bogus armament in the kit, but no sway braces for the pylons. Luckily, the kit comes with a pair of MER's which do have them. So I will cut little slots in each pylon and glue in the swaybraces. I decided to do them in one go:

PA122889_zps31463149.jpg

The pylon on the left has the slots cut out already.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good Pete. I love the A-10. Much preferred it in Euro 1 camo but it'd still be awesome even if they painted them pink! Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

Thanks.

Got the other grey on. I used Humbrol 128 (dark ghost grey) with a few drops of Humbrol 125 (gunship grey) added to it to get a bit more contrast between them. Next up is the fake canopy on the underside and after that i will do some touching up of the light ghost grey.

PB122901_zps3582fdce.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

looks great, you should build more 1:48 kits :)/>

Haha, yeah, that' s true! So we should donate more 1:48 kits to him?

Nice to see...I plan to do a Panthers A-10 out of HB kit too, but for the later timeframe. Already ordered the 2-piece fans from Sierra Hotel and I hope i can open the engine using the Italeri update set. Let s see, just a plan now! Afterburner decals are awesome! I miss them on the market!!! :tumble:

Haha, yeah, that' s true! So we should donate more 1:48 kits to him?

I won't mind :)

Afterburner decals are awesome!

Yeah, they're very good usually, but the instructions can be better sometimes. On this sheet, the side profiles are seriously lacking in where to put the stencils, and which ones, simple numbers and arrows would have been a great help. I'm using the instructions from a CAM sheet for that. Also, some of the decals are a bit too big for the kit.

Good to know about the CAM instruction, Pete! So maybe I am allowed to ask for that when I will be in the status of decalling my Hog? ;-) Yep, there's often a size problem of decals, also with other AM brands and even the decals that come with the kit.

• 3 weeks later...