1/32 Italeri Starfighter looks to be a beauty!

Speaking of the other colour scheme I think an AIM-9N/P would have been better for both the Belgian and Netherlands offering.

Not for the depicted Dutch scheme - our interceptor F-104G's from 322 and 323 Squadron flew in the allover RAL7001 scheme only early in their careers, and the AIM-9B is correct for that period. The AIM-9J was only carried when they were long redressed in the RAL6014/7012/7001 splinter scheme.

Cheers,

Andre

I guess as this kit is now in the pre-order stage I'll take the liberty to mention my decals.

The kit comes with RCAF+3 era markings but as noted previously, there are a number of significant inaccuracies with them. These were pointed out to Italeri, and although they said they'd correct them, I'd guess they had already gone into production.

For the RCAF+3 markings the following problems were noted;

- The wing roundels are missing the stencils (very noticeable in this scale).

- The coat of arms for the National Flag is backwards on the right hand side.

- The RCAF font and number style is incorrect for this era.

- The blue on the roundels is too light.

So with that all said, I have an older sheet that covers this same marking scheme but is much more accurate (and likely much better printed too). It's actually the very first decal set I ever released and it still has the Wintervalley brand name on them.

1476176_458176230970818_1490246134_n.jpg

Beyond the correct set for the kit markings, I also have the 421 'Coke Bottle' demonstration scheme in production, as well a new and very comprehensive set of Starfighter markings coming out in the new year. I'll post more about those when it's closer.

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan
Weapons in the kit are also "strange" to say the less: there are 2 Sparrow, 2 AIM-9B and 2 AIM-9L. But decals wise most of the schemes offered in the box are for Italian recce or bombers aircraft, these were both unable to carry any kind of missiles.

Paolo, the two Sparrows are of good quality? I think that they could be used on machines of 36° Stormo 12° Gruppo, or 51° Stormo 22° Gruppo... does the kit provide the related decals? otherwise, you can fall back on Tauro Models (but they have that ugly yellowish support). cheers.

Paolo, the two Sparrows are of good quality? I think that they could be used on machines of 36° Stormo 12° Gruppo, or 51° Stormo 22° Gruppo... does the kit provide the related decals? otherwise, you can fall back on Tauro Models (but they have that ugly yellowish support). cheers.

I'm not sure about the quality of the Sparrows, but will know more next week when I will have my kit handy.

As I said the problem is box-decals provide just 1 Italian fighter: an ASA from 4°Stormo. On this aiframe you can only put two AIM-9L since, by that time frame, Sparrows were mostly replaced by Aspides.

I will check if you can convert the Sparrows into Aspides, but I guess it will not be easy since Aspides had much larger wings.

I checked Tauro decals in 32 scale but all I found were very old sheets, poorly printed and with yellow clear film :bandhead2:/>

Now we can only hope aftermarket producers will take care of the problem but it will take time...

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Just have to love the research done in regards to the markings and information for the CF-104 option. First thing that irks me is the use of CF-104G. There was never a CF-104G. It's only a CF-104. Next is the unit that is listed. They have 417 squadron listed for 1962 markings on CF-104 12872. Two things wrong with this one. First is that 417 squadron didn't exist between 1948 and 1968. The training unit for the CF-104 in 1962 was the 6 ST/R OTU (6 Strike/Reconnaissance Operation Training Unit). Second is putting 12872 as in service in 1962. 12872 was not delivered to 6 ST/R OTU until April 1963.

I can just imagine the errors they have for the other marking options.

Hopefully the plastic proves to have a bit more research done on it.

Just have to love the research done in regards to the markings and information for the CF-104 option. First thing that irks me is the use of CF-104G. There was never a CF-104G. It's only a CF-104. Next is the unit that is listed. They have 417 squadron listed for 1962 markings on CF-104 12872. Two things wrong with this one. First is that 417 squadron didn't exist between 1948 and 1968. The training unit for the CF-104 in 1962 was the 6 ST/R OTU (6 Strike/Reconnaissance Operation Training Unit). Second is putting 12872 as in service in 1962. 12872 was not delivered to 6 ST/R OTU until April 1963.

A couple of those points, along with my feedback on the decal sheet, were submitted to Italeri many months ago. But like I said, apparently their expert knew more about it. And yeah, that whole 'CF-104G' thing really bothers me too.

Edited by RiderFan

So they just got the date wrong on the instructions and the decals are accurate?

See my post earlier in the thread. But to summerize, and to name but a few...

For the RCAF+3 markings the following problems were noted;

- The wing roundels are missing the stencils (very noticeable in this scale).

- The coat of arms for the National Flag is backwards on the right hand side.

- The RCAF font and number style is incorrect for this era.

- The blue on the roundels is too light.

What is wrong with them?

I'm looking at the decal picture on Italeris website and the markings don't appear to have the year or CF-104G written on them.

It's not the decals that are marked. It's the decal options graphic that is wrong:

Jpg link

And it's not only the date they got wrong. It's the squadron, aircraft type and the markings are not correct as posted by RiderFan.

Cheers,

John