What part of the building process is your least favorite?

Making the seams/wing joints disappear. It always seems like a tedious process that never really shows results until after the paint goes down. Painting and decaling are by far my favorite parts because they bring the model to life. The cleanup preparing for paint always seems to last forever!

I hate having to deal with "steps" at the wingroots or along seams.

I actually kind of enjoy "normal" filling and sanding, but not when it gets extreme.

The part of building that makes me most anxious is the final stage, adding the really delicate fiddly bits like landing gears or navigation-light lenses or other small pieces to an otherwise finished model. I'm deathly afraid I'm going to spoil my nice paint/decal job, or drop the model, or lose a small but essential part. I find that it's best to take my time, and visualize the procedure ahead of time, sometimes several days in advance. Having thought about exactly what I'm going to do, and often holding my breath, it all gets done.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Speaking of canopy masking, what are some of the preferred methods?

It's been Tamiya tape and xacto for me in the past. Been out of the game a few years. Seeing some pretty nice alternatives available these days.

Speaking of canopy masking, what are some of the preferred methods?

tamiya tape and an xacto knife

bare metal foil and an xanto knife "expensive and I wouldn't recommend it"

a lot seem to like parafilm but it's getting hard to find. it's usually bought online. I gave glad press N seal a try and love it. I only use press N seal and eduard mask when I get lazy or masking a large canopy like one on a BF110.

Its that point after assembly right before painting. The puttying, sanding, masking, planning what colour goes where and what order to lay the colours. I get tired of it all, rush and then pay for it later.

That and the final 5%. I always just want to see the model finished, and again I rush and then always have a few little mistakes I have to live with.

Sean

a lot seem to like parafilm but it's getting hard to find. it's usually bought online. I gave glad press N seal a try and love it. I only use press N seal and eduard mask when I get lazy or masking a large canopy like one on a BF110.

I like Parafilm for canopies and other intricate masking. Press'n Seal sounds interesting, I'll try to remember it!

Canopy masking, and the part I always seem to mess up is final assembly, I tend to bugger up landing gear, gear doors, etc. The part I like the absolute least is assembling, cleaning up and painting ordnance. Easy to mess up and and very prominent feature.

On cars, chrome trim with bare metal foil. I always seem to make a other wise great model a 30 footer with the chrome trim.

Funny, I see canopies and filling/sanding above as favorite pet peeves, but I actually like these tasks because they usually make- or break- the final build, so I pay special attention to these areas. Sanding and sanding can be tedious, but then you get a super smooth and flawless finish, it can really be rewarding.

What I find tedious is ordnance, because it's usually several identical missiles or bombs you need and after I've done one, I don't have any interest in making any more.

My least favorite part is the clear coat needed before decaling!

I'm always nervouse about it not being smooth enough to eliminate the silvering!

Of course, you never know for sure until it's too late!!

Chalk up another one who has a great disdain for the putty and sanding loop. If anything is going to stall one of my builds, it will most likely be that.

I prefer doing a bunch of dry fitting and plastic card shimming before committing parts to each other rather than muck about with putty and CA fillers.

Funny, I see canopies and filling/sanding above as favorite pet peeves, but I actually like these tasks because they usually make- or break- the final build, so I pay special attention to these areas. Sanding and sanding can be tedious, but then you get a super smooth and flawless finish, it can really be rewarding.

What I find tedious is ordnance, because it's usually several identical missiles or bombs you need and after I've done one, I don't have any interest in making any more.

Same feeling here exactly about canopies. The part I hate the most though is decalling, as getting a perfect alignment and symmetry is awkward and treacherous. Decal solvents also occasionally do damage to acrylic paints or the Future coat.

Robertson

• 3 weeks later...