BF109 E-4 help

I am looking to build a few 109's and have this question....

Should I go 1/48 and get Eduard 8263. Or....

1/32 and go with the Trumpeter BF109 ....

Dont know what to do here....

Opinions...

I really like what eduard includes for the price,

J

Hello J

Which Trumpeter kit in 1/32 do you have in mind? I think that most everyone here will agree with me to stay away from their E-series as it is very inaccurate. The best Bf 109 E-series in 1/32, in my opinion, are the Cyber-Hobby kits as nerdling pointed out as they are accurate, detailed and easy to build.

Horrido!

Leo

I am looking to build a few 109's and have this question....

Should I go 1/48 and get Eduard 8263. Or....

1/32 and go with the Trumpeter BF109 ....

Dont know what to do here....

Your question is a bit like asking what I should have for supper, chicken or beef. What is your scale of preference, or does scale really not matter even though you're contemplating multiple builds? What do you value more, buildability or accuracy? If the latter, you might want to check out Brett Green's review of the Trumpeter kit at HyperScale --

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/trumpeter02288reviewbg_1.htm

--in which he notes a number of fairly significant shape/dimension issues.

In terms of accuracy, the Eduard 1/48 kit seems to come off quite well if not perfect. Two points that I have seen mentioned are the leading edge slats (somewhat too wide, although an improvement over the Eduard 1/32 kit) and the length of the fuselage, which is several mm longer than any of the competing kits (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Airfix etc.).

People seem mainly to describe the Eduard kit as complex and exacting to build, but with very good fit. FWIW, here's one of the few full build articles I could find:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/109/lyle109e.htm

Cheers.

One other problem with the Eduard kit is the rear fuselage top. It shows a slightly bulged profile, where the real bird was a straight line from canopy rear to fin. Hal

Hi Hal.

I was under the impression that was more an issue with the 1/32 kit and had been fixed in the 1/48 kit.

Pip

My 2 bits, for 1/32nd scale the CyberModeler/Dragom Emil's are the only way to go, most accurate Emil's that scale out. The only issue I have is the trim tabs on the stabilizers....those are in the wrong place.

Eduard kit that scale sucks.

1/48th scale I'm personally NOT impressed with the Eduard Emil series. It still has enough of the same problems with accuracy as the 1/32nd scale variant but their not as pronounced as the 1/32nd scale outside of the slats (which are still too big) and several panels still not scribed right in the right spots.

I have 2 of their E-1's (one was a gift) but won't buy any more. Current production kits I'll use the Airfix kit for any E-1's I plan (I will build the gift Eduard E-1 also) and any later variants I'll use the Tamiya kit and replace the prop and wheels if I go outside of a OOB build.

Dragon/Cybermodeler is suppose to release a Emil 1/48th scale next year, if they do and it replicates the 1/32nd scale kit (and hopefully corrects the trim tabs) that could become the best Emil that scale on the market

Trumpeter's "Emil" 1/32nd.....don't waste you money.... if there was a barfing smiley I'd be using it

Hi Don, The Aifix 1/48th Emil is great in that it has poseable control surfaces, and any variant can be built from the kit box. On the down side, the prop blades are not well shaped, the gear legs are too long, it has the wrong canopy for the later versions, and the oil cooler intake needs the lateral splitter. All of these problems can be easily cured using Tamiya, or even Hasegawa parts, although I've not checked the canopy fit. Hal Sr

Hi Don, The Aifix 1/48th Emil is great in that it has poseable control surfaces, and any variant can be built from the kit box. On the down side, the prop blades are not well shaped, the gear legs are too long, it has the wrong canopy for the later versions, and the oil cooler intake needs the lateral splitter. All of these problems can be easily cured using Tamiya, or even Hasegawa parts, although I've not checked the canopy fit. Hal Sr

That's my plan when I finally finish my Airfix E-1 Hal, Tamiya landing gear and replacing the props. I've got one in progress but mothballed it awhile back when I lost my modeling mojo (did a stint as a mod on a shooting forum....remind me never do that again during a anti-gun grab campaign)

what about hasegawa's 32nd 109e?

eduards 32nd 109 has a engine or no engine feature and their 48 scale doesn't have this. you have to build the engine even with the cowling closed and have to cut the top of the engine to make the cowling fit.

I haven't built their 32nd 109's but I assume it's the same as their 48scale.

I would honestly look at the cyber hobby/dragon kit.

The Hasegawa 109E is ancient and not all relevant any more.

The Eduard 1/32 109 is not all a bad kit. It does have a couple of issues, eveything but the slight bulge behind the cockpit is easily correctable though, and IMO the bulge is really not that noticeable when built up anyway. For absolute accuracy the Dragon/CyberHobby kit is probably the best but it's a more complicated build than Eduard. The Eduard has very nicely done rivet detail which I like too.

The Trumpeter just has too many problems to make it worthwhile unless you've got a well stocked spares box.