Dark/Light Ghost Gray Help

Hey folks,

Just picked up the Hasegawa F/A-18C in 1/48. It calls for FS36320 Dark Ghost Gray and FS36375 Light Ghost Gray. I presently use the rattle can approach to my modeling as it is just a personal preference. I am now seeing that Model Masters does not show these two colors available as sprays. I have read that the Tamiya equivelent is not accurate in shade/hue. Do you all have any suggestions on proper substitutions in the Model Master line or any suggestions on what to use for these two shades in spray form?

Hey im just as confused as you are. I don't use model masters paint, but from the sounds of it, this seems to be a quality paint. I usually just mix my paints and use paintbrushes. I also just use Craftsmart acrylic paint. If you really want this paint, try looking up Tamiya/Testor Corporation paints. Remember to keep the area properly ventilated, too. Hope this helps.

btw where'd you pick up the F/A-18? I live in Chicago in the ghetto and I never see anything by Hasegawa. If this is your first Hasegawa build, remember that there is no weapons included in each kit. You have to pick up weapons sets.

I picked it up at my local hobby shop here in Baton Rouge... I have done a few hasegawa kits in the past. Luckily I have some left over weapons from some other kits in the stash I can use for it.... once I figure out this damned paint...lol..

I use exclusively spray bombs too, and something I've grown to realise is that there are two options regarding painting accuracy: either get an airbrush, or get accustomed to not being able to get accurate paintwork done and develop an eye for getting your paint job to 'look right'. I used to try to match each colour as close as possible individually, but after doing my Israeli Phantom I came to realise that it's more important with spraybombs to try for as good an overall effect as possible, otherwise you might match one colour out of three and then the result looks off...

I don't think there is any suitable option amongst MM sprays - they only have a couple dozen colours: http://www.testors.com/category/573120/Spray_Paints

I used Tamiya's light and dark ghost greys for my ROKAF F-4E. The colours may not be super accurate, but I thought the overall effect was decent:

100_0461_zps96996213.jpg

Hey Ace, you on the Southside ghetto? Hehe

Yeah, but don't go out on the streets sayin that youll get beat up or worse, Tweenkie. Not to say that you don't already live here, you would know that it's tough. I was, luckily, not as exposed to the steets as most kids here are, that's why I know about this website, and everything I do about planes

Edited by Ace Combat Zero

I don't think there is any suitable option amongst MM sprays - they only have a couple dozen colours: http://www.testors.com/category/573120/Spray_Paints

I used Tamiya's light and dark ghost greys for my ROKAF F-4E. The colours may not be super accurate, but I thought the overall effect was decent:

100_0461_zps96996213.jpg

That's a good phantom II, Litvyak.

Yeah, but don't go out on the streets sayin that youll get beat up or worse, Tweenkie. Not to say that you don't already live here, you would know that it's tough. I was, luckily, not as exposed to the steets as most kids here are, that's why I know about this website, and everything I do about planes

Well, I from across the border but worked for the UofC PD for many years. Ever been to GG Hobbies in Griffith, IN? They have a nice selection and will order what ever you need. Kits and supplies!

Yessir, Are you guys using the spray bombs to save $$$. If so, if you build much, it won't take too long to overtake the price of an airbrush that will do just about everything you need. I'm not talking about a double action, gravity feed, H & S or Iaawta. You can get a Paasche H with everything you need for a few cans of MM paint bombs. And, you will get really nice finishes. You may not be able to do really fine freehand work. But, you can use lifted masks and get really tight, feathered edges on something like an F-100 with a SEA camo scheme. You can also use your air compressor that you already have at home. Just something to think about. Oh, sorry, to answer your question. If you had an airbrush, you could get those MM colors in smaller bottles. The bottles would cost less than MM spray bombs and you could probably paint more models with them.

I picked it up at my local hobby shop here in Baton Rouge... I have done a few hasegawa kits in the past. Luckily I have some left over weapons from some other kits in the stash I can use for it.... once I figure out this damned paint...lol..

Hobby Towne on Airline? I go there all the time.

Edited by carlizle84

I agree with balls47. Using spray can will end up costing more than buying airbrush and compressor. I bought both off eBay for about $100 (both generic Chinese knock offs), and still going strong after 4-5 years, and close to two dozens 1/72 models.

• 2 weeks later...