´NAM Phantoms with F-15 tanks?

hi all

a guy who is from time to time in our local hobby shop sayed to me, he saw photos of F-15 wing tanks under the belly of an USAF Phantom during the end phase of the Vietnam War...

he meant its well grounded because the Eagle was flew since 1972...

and it was a Wild Weasel Phantom...what is more than unbelivable because the WW V was first in use from 1978 as I know... but he claimed he is a fan of the Phantom and must to know it better.

so Im asking here now if he is in right?

he showed me a photo of a F-4G shot (in an issue of Smoke Trails), made propably during an end 70ties war game in the States and claimed this configuration was used during the Vietnam war too...

now Im something at odds with him, because I never saw a ´Nam Phantom with this tank.

any help or opinions???

best regards

Peter

In a word:

No.

The HPC tank was introduced on the F-4G Wild Weasel V which came on line well after the Vietnam conflict ended.

Hell, the first F-15's didn't enter squadron service until after the war.

Cheers,

Andre

They didn't start mounting the F-15-style tanks on the F-4 until the early '80s, right?

Ben

Introduced with the F-4G in 1979, and retrofitted to surviving jets.

Jake

I worked at HQ TAC Fighter Requirements Branch during 1979-81 and helped work the F-15 fuel tank installation on the F-4 fleet. I don't recall exactly when it started, but it was WELL AFTER the end of the Vietnam War. The precipitating event was the loss of an F-4E(?) in the Philippines during a Cope Thunder (?) exercise when its centerline fuel tank imploded at high speed during a low level, causing a loss of control and killing the crew.