ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak by HobbyBoss - a first look

This looks very basic to be honest. The frontwheel as a 1-piece?!?

For the 1/32 scale they will have to show more than this...

This puts my mind on the old Heller Kit. That kit was nice for its day but I feel like we expected more out of this one.

With that said, it looks a lot better than the F-80.

Zach

There must be another sprue...this shows only one large tank, one small, one wheel and one bomb.

It does look suspiciously like the Heller kit, with a few changes. The parabrake housing is separate, may be an early version in the line up soon.

I can't see much detail in the wheelwells or the 'pit. Oh yes, that IP decal is, UH....well EEEEW!

Edited by Harold

Is there a need to make another F-84F? We have the Kinetic / Italeri kit for a reasonable price and still the (old) but still with good shape: Revell/Monogram kit!

If you're going to do a decal instrument panel, you could at least look at a photograph of a real airplane instrument panel. That looks like something from "Lost in Space"

If you're going to do a decal instrument panel, you could at least look at a photograph of a real airplane instrument panel. That looks like something from "Lost in Space"

As I said....EEEW! What are they thinking?

seeing that makes me think they slacked in other areas.

I always liked this aircraft, there were several at Lackland A.F.B. near the Security Police training area the last time I was T.D.Y. there back in the 70s. From what I've heard, it was a bit under powered, but so was the A-7 according to pilots I've talked to. But while some wished it had an afterburner, others talked about how the instruments might rattle in their sockets with some manuvers. It sort of makes me want to break out one of my Monogram kits that I keep looking at when deciding what to build next.

Yep!! The RF would fill a gap!! Only the ancient Heller kit is there...

From what I've heard, it was a bit under powered

I took care of a gentleman in our ICU for several nights last week who flew them, and said the F-84 (both the F and the G) were total dogs. He said the F was *massively* underpowered. Of course his reference points were the F-86F and F-86H, which he also flew :) I asked him which he liked better, the '84 or the '86, and he broke out laughing. He said the F-86H was the hottest ship anybody had ever seen up to that point, and spoke very, very highly of it. He said you had to be quick to get the gear up on an afterburner takeoff so you wouldn't over stress the gear and exceed VLE!

It will be interesting to learn Bruce Craig's opinion after he has looked through it for a while.

It will be interesting to learn Bruce Craig's opinion after he has looked through it for a while.

I sent him a link to this thread. We shall see.

5-13101011011669.jpg

Ahahahahha... what a joke !!!! ridiculous !

Right in 2013 someone dares to show such a horrible instrument panel decal ?

Better let this kit for the kids.

SouthViper

Now bring out a new RF-84F.

If HobbyBooBoo does it, it will be just as bad as this thing, even if it does have recessed panel lines. <_<

Larry

and said the F-84 (both the F and the G) were total dogs.

This is also confirmed by a friend of mine retired Italian General who flew the F for several years, when we worked for the book that we published on the F-84F he often told me that when he prayed God during take off.

Is there a need to make another F-84F? We have the Kinetic / Italeri kit for a reasonable price and still the (old) but still with good shape: Revell/Monogram kit!

There are several "things" relevant to this comment.

I: "Another F-84F?": I could ask the same about the releases of Spitfires, Mustangs, Bf-109s, FW-190s, etc. ad nauseam. How many versions of those aircraft were built over their production life? Many. That is one reason so many kits are released, to represent the many versions. How many of the various kits of various versions are "basic", "incorrect", blah, blah ad nauseum? Many. And that leads to ...

II: There were four "versions" of the F-84F Thunderstreak built as the blocks transitioned from (among other things) small-to-large suck-in doors, "normal" elevators-to-flying tail, three variations of speed brakes, and ventral fairing with no drogue chute to drogue chute/housing, and short tail/tall tail. How many of those "versions" have been produced in any scale (especially 48th)? One, only the latest version. So, if the Spitfires, et al, are "worth" releasing in all their versions, why not the four versions of the F-84F (and that doesn't speak to the Thunderjet versions from XP-84 to F-84D which are different (four main versions) from the F-84E/G versions extant in kits).

III: Currently (not including this new Hobby Boss kit), there are four F-84F kits in 48th scale.

[A] Monogram released in both NM and Camo. Pro: quite good overall for its age, still the best Thunderstreak in 48th. Con: fuselage too shallow and narrow aft of the wing; tail "in between" short/tall; raised panel lines.

Heller. Pro: fuselage fairly nearly correct aft of the wing. Con: Canopy too large; virtually no cockpit detail; raised panel lines.

[C] Fonderie fuselage "update" with Heller sprues. Pro: Most correct fuselage of the extant 48th kits. Con: many defects (bubbles, etc.) in the fuselage casting. Otherwise same as Heller.

[D] Kinetic/Italeri. Gag me with a stick. In general, a rip-off of Monogram with Tamiya gun bay "feature" added. Pro: Only the excellent decal sheet with the Italeri release. Con: Moats for engraved panel lines; soft details especially in cockpit; inaccurate fuselage aft of the wing (as copied from Monogram!); Panel line above wing that is on RF-84F but not on F-84F (copied from an incorrect Caruana graphic published in SAMI!); and the worse offense?! The "lemon" shaped intake which, to state it nicely, SUCKS! The Thunderstreak intake was adapted from the circular intake on the Thunderjet by adding straight 7-inch vertical inserts at the horizontal centerline, that is, two 180-degree arcs top and bottom with straight verticals between. Where did Kinetic come up with the "lemon" shape for the intake? Moreso, why is virtually everything about the Kinetic/Italeri kit WRONG? Because they were too @!$#@#$%^ LAZY to do their own research and, VERY POORLY, copied from already incorrect works of others. A waste of money for @#$%@#$^, no matter how "reasonably priced" is still a waste of money.

IV: Is this Hobby Boss any better. Can't tell from the photos of the sprues. One good option I notice is canopy choices for open or closed. Hairoldcut correctly notes the AWFUL IP decal! Yucko! Any other conclusions must rest until I get my hands on one ... or two ...

So, to comment on the "why": Because (1) none of the current kits are correct, and (2) there are three other versions which have never been released.

(My review of the Kinetic/Italeri is at: modelingmadness[dot]com/review/korean/previews/italeri/2682[dot]htm)

Edited by Plankwing

This is also confirmed by a friend of mine retired Italian General who flew the F for several years, when we worked for the book that we published on the F-84F he often told me that when he prayed God during take off.

Indeed. I seem to recall a pilot song along the lines of "The ef-eighty-four is a groundloving... lady of negotiable affections".

:)

I'd welcome a new 1/72nd kit, of course - we Gentlemen's Scale Modelers still have to make do with the old Italeri / Airfix kits.

Cheers,

Andre

Ahahahahha... what a joke !!!! ridiculous !Right in 2013 someone dares to show such a horrible instrument panel decal ?

Am I wrong or the instrument panel has raised details on it so the decal can be ignored anyway?

There are several "things" relevant to this comment.

So, to comment on the "why": Because (1) none of the current kits are correct, and (2) there are three other versions which have never been released.

(My review of the Kinetic/Italeri is at: modelingmadness[dot]com/review/korean/previews/italeri/2682[dot]htm)

Thank you for your detailed reply the need / need not question about F-84 F! I appreciated that! Well, let's see what will come... I m afraid that we will get one more "dog", maybe different "dog", I have my concerns about what "Copy"Boss is producing, so often Chinese are confident already with 90%!

Thank you for your detailed reply the need / need not question about F-84 F! I appreciated that! Well, let's see what will come... I m afraid that we will get one more "dog", maybe different "dog", I have my concerns about what "Copy"Boss is producing, so often Chinese are confident already with 90%!

I hope it will be a mistake and they actually get something right for a change.

Only the excellent decal sheet with the Italeri release.

I'm not so sure, the Italian ones (that I know well) are not very correct, for the other I don't know but I have doubts.