Monogram F-4C/D in 1:72

I´m the proud owner of a 1:72 Monogram F-4C/D. Before I start working on that kit, I´ll have to finish my MU-2J first and also would like to do some research.

The kit comes with two different ECM-pods that should go under the inner pylons. Since I want to hang a TER under each of these pylons, my question is: What ECM-pods were more frequently used? I easily recognized one of the two pods, it´s an ALQ-87. The other one, I think, is an ALQ-101. I´d like to hang one of the two under one of the forward Sparrow-stations.

HAJO

Both can be used, but the -87 was more common in the Vietnam days. You do need a Missile Well Adapter for it, though. It was also not uncommon to load two on a plane, each one tuned to a different band. Like here

I don't remember seeing the 101 pod used on the "D" model although there were many squadrons and you could have so many variable types of loads on that monster. The kit should have a adapter for your ECM pod included.

Thank you! I will look through the kit again to see if there´s something that looks like an adapter for the ECM-pod. If not, I think it shouldn´t be to hard to scratch it on my own.

Pete, do I see that correct? Both pods are not parallel, but the left one slightly behind the right one?

HAJO

The kit should have a adapter for your ECM pod included.

There isn't one in the Monogram kit. The Fujimi US Air Force Phantoms in 1/72nd have them, as well as Hasegawa's weapons set#2.

However, it's not too hard to scratchbuild.

Cheers,

Andre

If I dig deep enough in my stash I will come up with the Set #2, I remember buying (and using some parts of it) more than 15 years ago. May be 20 actually, I think.

Thanks for the hint!

HAJO

Pete, do I see that correct? Both pods are not parallel, but the left one slightly behind the right one?

Hmm, now that I gave it a better look, the one on the left might be a AN/ALQ-71, with a AN/ALQ-87 on the right. There were a couple different versions of both pods, of different lenghts, the bigger ones covering more bands. That might explain the difference in length here. I don't think that one is mounted more forward than the other one.

1) The Monogram kit contains one AN/ALQ-87 and one AN/ALQ-101.

2) The easiest way to tell the difference between the AN/ALQ-71 and AN/ALQ-87 is that the latter has a ridge running along its flanks.

3) Either pod (87 or 101) could be hung from the front Sparrow well. However, I don't recall seeing that mix on any of the photos I've looked at. That doesn't mean it didn't happen though. The pylon-mounted configuration they depict in the kit was fairly common for MiGCAP jets. The mud movers tended to carry their pods in the Sparrow wells.

I´m planning to do a MudMover, so I will chose to put one pod in the Sparrow bay. Most likely it will be the ALQ-87 - or would it be more tactical useful to use the ALQ-101? My guess here would be that the higher number (87 vs. 101) indicates a more modern system and therefor improved capabilities...

HAJO

My guess here would be that the higher number (87 vs. 101) indicates a more modern system and therefor improved capabilities...

It's more a matter of covering your bases with complimentary pods - the ALQ-87 is an FM barrage jammer, while the ALQ-101 is a noise / deception jammer.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks!

I also just found a picture with description stating that many F-4s on strike-mission in Vietnam carried two pods in the Sparrow bays. Although the picture showed an "E", I may use this configuration here - or spare it for the planned build of an "E" that will come during the next months.

HAJO

I´m slowly converting the thread into a "work in progress".

This is how the stuff looked yesterday afternoon:

IMG_3997_zpsa7dfd030.jpg

Some parts are already painted, like the cockpit interior, a lot of parts were already off the sprue when I got the kit. But nothing is missing nor broken.

I have completed the cockpit and really like how it looks. Hard to believe this stuff is nearly 30 years old:

IMG_4020_zps77b98759.jpg

What goes beyond me though are the pilots that came with the kit. One sitting, one standing... This is a twin-seater! ;) Luckily one of my Hase F-16 had three pilots in the kit, so I took one of them.

HAJO

I´m in the stage of painting the pilots. I somehow have the impression that flight helmets "in country" at that time were always white, no artwork or customizing. At least that´s what I see on the few pictures I have (didn´t searched much, though).

So, white helmets? Or am I free to do some arts on it?

HAJO

I would say, most likely, depending on the date, not white. Many pilots had O.D. or cammoflaged tape on their helmets. A white helmet stands out too well on the ground. The Air Force normally didn't go along with custom painted helmets.

scan0172-1.jpg

scan0141-2.jpg

scan0090.jpg

scan0328.jpg

OK, then I need to paint my white helmets over with camo and green.

Not necessarily - for example, at Cam Rahn Bay in 1969 (F-4C models) helmets ranged from white with colored visors, to all camo (covered with tape), to green painted. Here's a crew that had different helmets:

StabTips.jpg

The white helmets for this unit (557TFS Sharkbaits) sported red visors.

(As a sidenote, white helmets were easier to spot in the air than the airplane itself: to find an F-4, follow the smoke trail until you see a white dot, then see the airplane).

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

LOL, nice story!

Anyway, it took me only five minutes to change from white to green respective green camo:

IMG_4021_zps0f74755f.jpg

IMG_4023_zpsed5d2b48.jpg

At this very moment the cockpit is glued into one fuselage half, and again I have the strong feeling that the pilot and his WSO are sitting to much down. They can barely see outside!

HAJO

Well, can this be true???

The pilot can´t see where he´s flying!

IMG_4025_zps994abcf9.jpg

No wonder he´s turning his head to the left, maybe he can figure out where he´s going by looking at the things that pass him by a 500 knots!

IMG_4024_zps4a32da8b.jpg

With a slightly higher angle it may look ok, but I´m still not very happy...:

IMG_4026_zps03eb6c9a.jpg

HAJO

Hi Hajo,

I also am working in one of those right now.

Check your references, but I think the area between the pilots and the area behind the copilot should be black.

Also, if you are building the kit with the canopies open, please note that the area on the sides where they sit, should be painted black too.

Graphic11111Rc.jpg

Hope you find this of any use.

Best regards,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom