Monogram F-4C/D in 1:72

Yep, I know (and will do that), but I wanted to use the pure white as basic layer, and since I needed to paint some parts of the gear and the gear wells white, I covered the whole belly.

HAJO

White? If you are doing a Vietnam War era F-4 in SEA camouflage, that bottom color should be FS36622, a very light gray color, not white.

Well... some early F-4C's with field-applied SEA paint jobs retained the Gloss White bellies of their initial Navy-style scheme.

Cheers,

Andre

True Andre, but, then you wouldn't have USAF pylons on the inner and outerwings, and ALQ-101 being considered as the ECM pod

heck, depending on whether the model is before or after the A-6 Intruder first deployment, it wouldn't even get MERs yet

All mixed paints. The tan originally was Revells acrylic 88, darkened a bit with brown. I think I will even add some more brown for my next SEA-camo.

The medium green is a Revell 39, which got some yellow in it, if I remember correctly.

The dark green is Revell 65, I think I once spilled some 39 in it...

As you can see, it´s not that easy to describe which colors I used. Mixing them for a building project is part of my modellers fun.

HAJO

Your model looks great. That tan is a difficult color to mix. It has a sallow quality that's difficult to capture, an unpleasant grayish tint that meant that while the color scheme sounded attractive when described, in reality the USAF planes that wore it were somber looking.

I just noticed that I didn´t attached the LORAN-antenna. Since I want to build 67-0463 (as it comes in the box), can I leave the antenna off?

Yes. It wasn't fitted to '463.

Edit: photo here.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Thanks!

Bitte sehr!

According to some pictures I found myself at least the 5 (sometimes 6) red stars changed their size and position quite a lot...

My Cutting Edge CED72016 "F-4C/Ds & RF-4Cs SEA Schemes #1" sheet offers several options for '463,including details on the different configurations of the kill markings.

Happy hunting... ;)

Cheers,

Andre

I will propably use the "Press scheme" then, that came with the box. If the decals don´t work, I have the back-up of 463 with the Print Scale set:

http://dukmodell.de/Decals/Flugzeuge/1-72/Print-Scale/Print-Scale-F-4-Phantom-II-1-72::3442.html

Although it looks to me like they depict a version that never flew wihile the war was going on.

HAJO

Canopy is white glued on:

IMG_4044_zps369c826b.jpg

As you may notice, I didn´t scratched any HUD, or whatever you may call this aiming device on an early fighter like the F-4D.

IMG_4045_zpsf3c45ea0.jpg

Those gaps aren´t, at least not really, thats the white glue already being transparent.

HAJO

Can somebody help me with a close shot of the ECM-pods in the Sparrow-bay? I need to get a feeling where they are exactly located, so that I can glue the adapter in the right position.

HAJO

Thanks, that helped a lot!

I´m nearly finished with painting, but the model has a serious flaw, I´m not sure if I did a mistake or the part is faulty: The front canopy is off by 1mm to the left side! I will show pictures of that later.

I know that I could use the 4-part canopy instead of the 1-part-canopy I´m doing right now, but I was planning to use the other canopy elements on a Revell F-4.

HAJO

On a second look I did this morning I came to the conclusion it´s not as bad as I thought:

IMG_4046_zpsa0e7a436.jpg

IMG_4047_zpsdf07631c.jpg

And since I´m awaiting the postman to deliver me a nice Hasegawa F-4E, the Phantom-story will continue even after finishing this one here.

HAJO

Decals are done!

It amazes me every time how much the appearance of a model changes once these tiny items are in place:

IMG_4061_zps1d8e9043.jpg

I finally used the decals of at least five different sheets, since the Monogram-decals reacted too strongly to the Decalsoftener and were unusable. I was only able to apply a "star and bar" at the underside from the set, and the two red stars on the intake are from the kits-decals. They were originally 5 stars, but when I tried to pull of the damaged decals these two stars stayed. I´m OK with that, as it depicts the bird now after his first victories.

HAJO

It looks like I´m coming into a modellers stage where my own stash surprises me: Not only that I was able to find some already forgotten Hasegawa-Weapon-Set with an ALQ-101 and an ALQ-87, I found also a perfect solution for the "spacer" that´s needed when using AIM-9s on the inboard-pylon with TERs: F-14 Bomb-Racks from the Hase Weapon-Set No. VI look perfect, I suspect those are the original parts that were later used for the F-14s.

And my Hasegawa F-4E arrived today via mail, so the next Phantom is already waiting! :)

HAJO