Looking for kit advise

Need some help figuring out and finding these kits, im trying to do every aircraft that Fairchild AFB here in Spokane flew since they became the 141st Refueling Wing. Kits and/or decals appreciated

F-94A Starfire, 1956-1957 Acquired

F-89J Scorpion, 1957-1965 Acquired

F-102A Delta Dagger, 1966-1969 Acquired

F-101B Voodoo, 1969-1976 Acquired

KC-135A Stratotanker, 1976-1982 Acquired

KC-135E Stratotanker, 1982-2006

RC-26B Metroliner, 2004–Present

KC-135R Stratotanker, 2006–Present

Edited by Spokane-Modeller

Are you looking for a specific scale or are you going to pick the scale that has the easist to obtain subject matter? If you plan on doing the -135's you would obviously be limited to 1/72 and smaller, right?

It sounds like a cool project. Enough to keep interest high and not such a huge undertaking as to make it unreasonable to complete.

In 1/72, Revell has a well received F-101B that is currently in re-release. Jump on that one sooner than later.

Also in 1/72, Meng has a newly tooled F-102A (Case X wing)that is a reportedly nice kit. You'll have to determine if the unit had the Case X or Case XX wing. I'm sure someone here will know.

Are you looking for a specific scale or are you going to pick the scale that has the easist to obtain subject matter? If you plan on doing the -135's you would obviously be limited to 1/72 and smaller, right?

It sounds like a cool project. Enough to keep interest high and not such a huge undertaking as to make it unreasonable to complete.

In 1/72, Revell has a well received F-101B that is currently in re-release. Jump on that one sooner than later.

Also in 1/72, Meng has a newly tooled F-102A (Case X wing)that is a reportedly nice kit. You'll have to determine if the unit had the Case X or Case XX wing. I'm sure someone here will know.

What kind of photo would help, this is the wiki page(s) that im referencing, if i can get some decals made or find some ill also do some a/c from their days as the 116th FIS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/141st_Air_Refueling_Wing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/116th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron

Need some help figuring out and finding these kits, im trying to do every aircraft that Fairchild AFB here in Spokane flew since they became the 141st Refueling Wing. Kits and/or decals appreciated

F-94A Starfire, 1956-1957

F-89J Scorpion, 1957-1965

F-102A Delta Dagger, 1966-1969

F-101B Voodoo, 1969-1976

KC-135A Stratotanker, 1976-1982

KC-135E Stratotanker, 1982-2006

RC-26B Metroliner, 2004–Present

KC-135R Stratotanker, 2006–Present

What kind of photo would help, this is the wiki page(s) that im referencing, if i can get some decals made or find some ill also do some a/c from their days as the 116th FIS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/141st_Air_Refueling_Wing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/116th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron

The following kits can be found in 1/72 scale.......

F-94A Starfire............Emhar, should be availiable

F-89J Scorpion............Just re-released by Revell-Germany, Academy also has a kit availiable

F-102A Delta Dagger.......As mentioned, Meng has the Case X wing kit currently out, but will soon release the Case XX kit. Daggers with serial numbers before 56-2335 have Case X wings, 56-2336 and later had Case XX wings. Most ANG units were equipped with F-102A's with Case XX wings. Some aircraft were also equipped with an IRST ball mounted in front of the cockpit. Check photos of your specific aircraft to find out if it needs it. Also, a word of advice, don't use aircraft that are currently on display as your example, a lot of times, the aircraft are pulled from AMARG for display and had no history with the unit. Check photos of actual active duty aircraft for accuracy.

F-101B Voodoo.............As mentioned, Revell has just re-released it (great kit, but can use an aftermarket cockpit).

KC-135A/E/R Stratotanker...AMT did a series of Stratotankers a while back, in most cases, they are hard to find, and expensive. Heller also had a KC-135FR kit that can be converted, but they are also expensive.

RC-26B Metroliner.........RVHP has a series of resin Metroliner kits

As for decals, Caracal has decals for the F-101B Voodoo, and Draw has a set for the F-102A.

KC-135A/E/R Stratotanker...AMT did a series of Stratotankers a while back, in most cases, they are hard to find, and expensive. Heller also had a KC-135FR kit that can be converted, but they are also expensive.

The Italeri repop should be easy to hunt down.

Cheers,

Andre

Actually, the original KC-135A configuration has been seen in a few guises. The turbojets have been seen in the AMT/Ertl NKC-135A and the Amtech EC-135 Aria, plus Heller also did a SAC marked KC-135A the same time they did the KC-135FR. Its the KC-135E that gets a bit more problematic. AMT/Ertl never issued it as a 135E, although the TF-33 engines in the EC-135 Looking Glass and RC-135 Rivet Joint kit showed that whomever did the research was thinking more KC-135E than EC-135 due to the configuration of the humps on the struts (humps on engines 2 and 3 with none on 1 and 4 is something you only saw on KC-135Es that took their donor engines from I believe TWA 707s). You can get those TF-33s in the Amtech EC-135N ARIA kit as well. Since that ARIA kit has both the J57 and TF-33 engines in it, you might be able to source an unused set from somebody who doesn't need them.

• 3 weeks later...

Still havent found a photo of a WANG F102 so i may try and email the HRO at the air base and see what they can dig up for me. though it seems i missed and aircraft and have to find a suitable plastic version of it in 48 or 72 the F86A sabre F-86A-116thfis-RAFSG.jpg as for the rest i have good versions of them just need to hunt down some decals. i seem to remember there being a request in Caracal decals forum or maybe it was going to be and just faded away, the plans for decals for the 141st ARW 135R decals but ive searched for the thread and cant find it again.

Still havent found a photo of a WANG F102 so i may try and email the HRO at the air base and see what they can dig up for me. though it seems i missed and aircraft and have to find a suitable plastic version of it in 48 or 72 the F86A sabre F-86A-116thfis-RAFSG.jpg as for the rest i have good versions of them just need to hunt down some decals. i seem to remember there being a request in Caracal decals forum or maybe it was going to be and just faded away, the plans for decals for the 141st ARW 135R decals but ive searched for the thread and cant find it again.

Matchbox had the only 1/72 scale F-86A kit availiable, you can find them on Ebay often. As for the F-102, PM me your email, I have some 116th FIS pictures that I can send you for reference.

...whomever did the research was thinking more KC-135E than EC-135 due to the configuration of the humps on the struts

Actually they were thinking about the cost of the tooling and the "fact" that they "knew" that nobody would know the difference. I tried my best to get them not to cheap out and compromise, but to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i found these decals on wolfpack's http://millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-8.html website for the -R but dont ever remember Fairchild haiving a red Seahawk for their logo. i did find the thread containing the request for KC135's it was in the two bobs forum but i havent heard anything further on it. i found decals for my F86A on http://www.fineartofdecals.com/goodies/. looking for decals for the f89 and f94.

Those KC-135 markings aren't for the 116th, they are for the 98th ARS of Air Mobility Command. The tankers for the 116th would have a green slash on the top of the stabilizer with the word WASHINGTON in white. This picture shows the markings that were improved to include the state sillouette and the Ace of Spades.....

KC-135E_Washington_ANG_refuels_fighters_2007.jpg

As for the F-86A,...

CED48173.jpg

...very nice find and great scheme. Now, you just need to find a 1/48 scale F-86A (if there is one),or modify an E Sabre.

Well the only ones i could find after searching through 16 pages on ebay were a 1/48 Lindberg F86A and and ESCI F86A, so i dont know how good any of those are so if anyone has built them and could give me advise its greatly welcomed, also there was an italeri E model but ill have to see what differences the A and E models have.

As for the 135s, we've had some changes in tail flash over the years from the seahawks logo to now the state of washington outline with the 116th card inlay on them, but for the seahawks logo, i dont ever recall them having the all red tint to them. 92nd ARW/ 116th ARS all in the same.

Well the only ones i could find after searching through 16 pages on ebay were a 1/48 Lindberg F86A and and ESCI F86A, so i dont know how good any of those are so if anyone has built them and could give me advise its greatly welcomed, also there was an italeri E model but ill have to see what differences the A and E models have.

The biggest difference between the A models and the E models are the wings and tail. The A models had a narrow-chord wing while the E models had a broad-chord wing, so some major surgery will be needed for that. The E madels also had the "flying tail" in which the whole horizontal stabilizer moved instead of a seperate flap on the trailing edge that was on the A model. There was a great reference on Duncan's Sabres site about the wings, but it has since been removed.

I can't give any real impression of the 1/48 scale kits concerning accuracy, hopfully, someone else here could.

As for the 135s, we've had some changes in tail flash over the years from the seahawks logo to now the state of washington outline with the 116th card inlay on them, but for the seahawks logo, i dont ever recall them having the all red tint to them. 92nd ARW/ 116th ARS all in the same.

The 116th ARS is assigned to the 141st ARW. It would come under AMC command when federalized, but not under the command of the 92nd.

XTRADECAL, from Hannants in England had a decal sheet for 135 A's which included a Fairchild bird with the earlier blue tailband band and FAIRCHILD in white with a white star on each end. The sheet was numbered X038-72. Tail markings and serials only. Nice sheet! May be available on E-Bay.

To get the engines for an E model, you might try to get an EC or RC kit with those engines and substitute the J 57's from the A kit with the TF 33's from the EC/RC kits, making a KC-135E and an EC-135A or an RC-135A. But, don't forget that they didn't just take the engines off the 707's. The also took the longer stabilizers as well. All 135's that were up-engined got the longer horizontal stabs. And the AMT/Amtech kits were correctly supplied with the appropriate stabs. (Two sets in the Amtech kits!)

I hope this helps you out.

DET1460

The AMT KC-135A was also released under the Esci/ERTL brand in the mid 90's as well.

so, i received my decals for the F86 yesterday and saw that Cutting Edge Modelworks has/had a conversion to the A/E Sabres and havent been able to track any down, so im going to post this here first and then in the B/S area to see if anyone else may have one stashed away they may be willing to part with. Now as far as the KC-135's go, i can get another A model from ebay but i was wondering if anyone has had luck with any of the flightpath extras? They have a set of TF33 engines cast in resin im thinking of getting but dont know how many have used these?

F86 A Conv set review http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/f86aconversionreviewbg_1.htm

Edited by Spokane-Modeller

so, i received my decals for the F86 yesterday and saw that Cutting Edge Modelworks has/had a conversion to the A/E Sabres and havent been able to track any down, so im going to post this here first and then in the B/S area to see if anyone else may have one stashed away they may be willing to part with. Now as far as the KC-135's go, i can get another A model from ebay but i was wondering if anyone has had luck with any of the flightpath extras? They have a set of TF33 engines cast in resin im thinking of getting but dont know how many have used these?

F86 A Conv set review http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/f86aconversionreviewbg_1.htm

Hello.....for models of the Lockheed F-94 A and B, there are (1/72nd scale), the HELLER F-94B (out of print),

and the BOBBYCRAFT (1/48th Scale) F-94 A & B kits (also out of print). I'm sure they can be found via searching.

I had a wild hunch that the old LINDBERG 1/48th F-86A could be 'cross-kitted' with ACADEMY'S F-86F with a

little 'cutting 'n fudgeing....but I never got around to starting it....the Lindberg had the 'correct "Vee shaped

Windscreen'...and the rear fuselage around the area of the Horizontal Stab and Elevator of the LINDBERG kit might

be 'grafted into' the Academy F-86F....' 'just say'en'......

-THUDNUTZ- Duluth, MN USA