1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

I can tell you for a fact that Zacto has fixed mistakes that probably no one else in here would even notice even if it hit them in the face. wink.gif/> To clarify; that is obviously not a bad thing. And considering Chris' track record...

Inquisitor's post is puzzling and arrogant at best. Because that is exactly what I and Zacto has been doing; "complain" about shape issues with CAD images. Not to mention i can't think of a single instance (on other projects non Aviation Art) where mistakes in CAD's pointed out were not either:

a - Fixed as result of the "complaining".

b - EXACTLY as seen on CAD's on the released kit. (HB YF-23)

But let us not getting this out of hand. I just thought it was somewhat arrogant to undermine what Zacto and I has been doing.

I know the difference between what Zacto, you and other member with keen eye for detail or shapes do. And I know I can leave the model in you capable hands, and i'm sure it'll end up as close to 100% accurate as it can get.

Read my post again and understand that i'm poking fun at. The other kind of guys who always complain about the CAD image looking odd, but don't understand what an isometric projection is or those who always come to this kind of post using a badly taken wide-angle photo as proof that the kit has shape issues,

Edited by Inquisitor
Now where are the people who always complain about shape issues with CAD images

I'm right here! :rolleyes:

Evil_avatar.jpg

"100 billion rivets!!!"

As I said in the first post, these are not the final CAD drawings. We are aware that there are some problems and they are being fixed. That said, we may have missed some things.

If you notice any problems feel free point them out or better yet, e-mail me about them.

One thing several have pointed out is that there shouldn't be panel lines on the nosecone. Those lines are just CAD construction lines and will not be on the final model. You can find several similar lines on other surfaces of the 3D model.

Of course, I'm hoping you don't discover anything that at this point can't be fixed! (the boss is probably REALLY hoping you don't find anything! :bandhead2: )

Here are some profile shots. Because we did extensive research, you will find that they are close, but not exact matches of published drawings (which often can't be trusted).

Su-33_F_zps07ccdb81.jpg

Su-33_A_zps3ec9ef28.jpg

Su-33_L_zpsbfe655aa.jpg

Su-33_T_zps21c42c9e.jpg

Su-33_B_zpsa4edd1c8.jpg

:cheers:

Simple with Zactoman involved with it; this is gonna be very very interesting...accuracy won't be a question, only the quality of molding, and of course the pricing.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

That is truly amazing work. I'm sort of scratching my head at the amount of work going into a project for which there are only <25 examples in real life though. Surely there are other subjects with more sales appeal? Only the hardest of the die hards is going to even know what an Su-33 is, much less buy one. If this were a new state of the art Su-27 to replace the ailing Academy kit, I'd be stoked.

Only the hardest of the die hards is going to even know what an Su-33 is, much less buy one.

Well how many people have bought and built S-47 or YF-23 kits ? More than a few I believe. The Su-33 is an impressive aircraft too so I think that more than a few people will buy the kit.

That is truly amazing work. I'm sort of scratching my head at the amount of work going into a project for which there are only <25 examples in real life though.

You do realize that these numbers hold true for the Luftwaffe as well, but selling bajillions of kits doesn't seem to be a problem...

Are you guys planning to add any J-15 specific parts?

Yes, there will be a future release with J-15 specific parts and weapons!

let's hope the transition to plastic doesn't FUBAR..

As I said earlier in this thread, these guys know what they are doing and the final plastic promises to be top notch. I have no FUBAR worries...

That is truly amazing work. I'm sort of scratching my head at the amount of work going into a project for which there are only <25 examples in real life though. Surely there are other subjects with more sales appeal? Only the hardest of the die hards is going to even know what an Su-33 is, much less buy one. If this were a new state of the art Su-27 to replace the ailing Academy kit, I'd be stoked.

You've got me scratching my head...

Everybody has a 1/48 Su-27 in their stash but nobody has 1/48 Su-33 kit. True, some have spent a small fortune on conversion kits but they're a pain and the end result won't be close to this kit.

The Su-33 is a beautiful plane with an awesome BLUE camouflage paint scheme!

It's a great modeling subject with all kinds of detailie stuff hanging all over it, including folded wings with all kinds of cool little mechanical thingies showing. The super-detail geeks will have a blast building this thing.

Lots of modelers buy kits just because they're awesome quality. I know several 1/32 modelers who'd buy anything new from Tamiya simply because they are great kits.

It's the Tomcat of the 2nd(3rd?) most powerful Navy in the world. Top Gunski Baby!

Will there be etched parts or single piece missiles like Great Wall has?

The kit will include etched details. The parts color coded yellow on the CAD are etch.

I don't know if the missiles will be single piece or multi-piece.

Judging by color coding CAD software added to assembly, radome and its wedge frame will be detachable. Is there something underneath it? :rolleyes:

The radome is likely just molded that way to ease assembly. I haven't seen any CAD of anything inside it.

Only one what I see: RWR detectors on wings are new style only on overhauled machines :-)

Yes, they went with the later upgraded version. Those who want to build an earlier version can file and sand the nubs off.

As for all the questions about other scales, other future kit offerings, etc., I'd say again that everything depends on how well this first kit sells. If they sell 1,000,000 Su-33 I'm sure you'll see lots of other kits from them in the future!

:cheers:

My head scratching is due to the tiny number of real Su-33s that exist, in essentially one paint scheme, for one user. Very limited scope for modeling a subject. About as limited as it gets. Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous effort thus far. Amazing. Just that the real thing is so limited in scope...

My head scratching is due to the tiny number of real Su-33s that exist, in essentially one paint scheme, for one user. Very limited scope for modeling a subject. About as limited as it gets. Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous effort thus far. Amazing. Just that the real thing is so limited in scope...

Maybe Putin will buy the kit and be so impressed he will expand his Navy ;)

And still we wait for a 1/48 Mi-8 family. The single most widely produced helicopter in history and there's no hint of a 1/48 kit, except for two long OOP and very mediocre resin efforts. Military variants out the wazoo, including a bunch of really cool armed/armored ones. Civil variants out the wazoo, including some really wild color schemes. You could do Mi-8/17 variants until the bovines returned to their domiciles and never repeat yourself.

And still we wait...