1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

hello flanker lovers!

This is what I call an AWESOME release!!

2013/2014 is a great period: 1/48 Mig-25, Mig-31, and now a Su-33!

Thank you Chris for sharing ;^)

Cheers

Romain

Edited by rom

And I certainly say thanks to both of you since that will be of great benefit to all of us - eventually.

However, as Chris said regarding another change, "Changing this detail at this point would be a big issue" - which generated my posting "At what point does it stop"? Evidently making minuscule changes/adjustments to panel lines is not a big deal at this point in the model's development, and it's great that you and the company are so open to making things as correct and accurate as possible.

Gene K

"Perfection is the enemy of progress" - or something like that.

Some changes are much harder to do to the CAD's than others. I am not a CAD designer, but changing surface detail for example is easier than changing fuselage under it... ("Is it worth the time?" however is a different matter) There is an adjustment i would have liked to see to happen (funny it hasn't been pointed out yet, atleast in the thread :)/>) but that would be very hard to do it now. Changing that area behind seat would affect plenty of parts around it, it is not an "isolated" part.

But yes, one might ask where does it stop? Hard to answer, but i think in this case "Good enough" is already far far beyond average kit in terms of accuracy and detail. :thumbsup:/> Another variation of that saying as said by Admiral Gorshkov would be: "Better is the enemy of good enough".

PS: Gabor, thank you for the pictures of Zvezda's project. It is in good hands. Deino: as mentioned earlier in the thread there will be J-15 release.

Edited by Berkut

not to stray to far off topic but since the J-15 is essentially a copy of the SU-33 can one be built with minimal conversion

The biggest visual change is the wingtip launch rails - they are 'drooped' on the J-15 to clear the PL-8 missile fins.

You can see the rails in the photos posted here.

The jet exhaust nozzles are also sometimes different - as the J-15 is to use the Chinese-developed WS-10 engine. (I think the prototypes use the Russian AL-31??)

There are other small differences - ECM & RWR aerials etc - a study of photos shows them.

The cockpit is probably also different - with a more modern MFD layout.

Apart from the above, it should be an easy conversion....

Ken

The biggest visual change is the wingtip launch rails - they are 'drooped' on the J-15 to clear the PL-8 missile fins.

You can see the rails in the photos posted here.

The jet exhaust nozzles are also sometimes different - as the J-15 is to use the Chinese-developed WS-10 engine. (I think the prototypes use the Russian AL-31??)

There are other small differences - ECM & RWR aerials etc - a study of photos shows them.

The cockpit is probably also different - with a more modern MFD layout.

Apart from the above, it should be an easy conversion....

Ken

and from J-15's photo you can fand more different on fuselage,because they have the same configuration, but do not have the same avionics.

PS.Ken,How much Flankers did you made?did they have a group photo?

Once these things are shared on the forums, everybody then knows about the problems and their opinions may be swayed. It would be a shame if a few minor panel lines might give someone the impression that the kit is sub-standard.

I see that happening on a kit I will enjoy even with the work entailed to bring it up to snuff (especially since it is the best starting point).

Regards,

Hi Berkut,

As promised here are a few photos of the 72nd developments of the same Su-33 but this time in an office near Moscow. The future Zvezda kit in CAD development stage and its designer Aleksandr Adamtsov.

Zvezda5_zpsb08c0e04.jpg

Zvezda7_zps1d153938.jpg

Zvezda13_zpsbf3d6bed.jpg

So both scales will be catered for.

Sorry for the off topic but this is where I was asked.

Best regards

Gabor

Wow zvezda uses CATIA? That's some heavy software for model design! (And expensive) I would have thought solid works or something.

Kodos Zvesda!

Wow zvezda uses CATIA? That's some heavy software for model design! (And expensive) I would have thought solid works or something.

Kodos Zvesda!

Hi Pep,

I have no idea what software it is, but we have seen that they invest in the best to produce the best products. It has been Zvezdas company policy to get the best result and for this aim to do everything possible. Have a look at Ken Flankermans report from the Zvezda visit, they have the latest injection moulding machines, all automated working 7/24 just as the machining department.

Best regards

Gabor

Ya-Gabor

I work with Dassault System the creators of CATIA

This is definitively CATIA, the workbenches they need for this setup do not come cheap!

I'm really impressed!

Just a small update.

The CAD team is very busy making lots of small changes that have been noted.

I hope to post some shots of the finished CAD as soon as I get them.

I did find out a couple of small details about the kit:

The small air bypass doors under the intakes will have the option to be posed either open or closed.

The FOD panels inside the intakes can be posed either raised or lowered.

:cheers:

Impressive!!!, just read every post and it appears for the most part all those concerns will be address, this is awesome, can't wait. Great work Zactoman and everyone that's added to the topic at hand, you all ROCK!!!! Sorry I haven't been around, it's my last year as an undergrad and my modeling suffered, no worries though, I've just added this to my list as a must buy.

Edited by tonal
Great work Zactoman!! Which softeare you use? Catia or something else?

Thanks Mario but I just helped with the development by checking shapes and details. Their team actually did the CAD work. And a fine job they did!

I don't recall what software they used but I don't think it was Catia.

Here's a shot of the underside showing the intake louvers closed:

Belly_zpsbda7628e.jpg

:cheers: