1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

And still we wait for a 1/48 Mi-8 family. The single most widely produced helicopter in history and there's no hint of a 1/48 kit

Yes!! I would very much like to have it in your collection..:) Once, there was an attempt to make it in the resin one of the company from Nizhny Novgorod - NAVIGATOR

Surely you know there isn't one paint scheme and what is so wtf about that?

It was an attempt at sarcasm after three uncalled for posts like this one implying that all the effort in recreating this particular plane (IMHO quite appealing) could have been better used for some other more numerous subjects. And don't call me Shirley..

My head scratching is due to the tiny number of real Su-33s that exist, in essentially one paint scheme, for one user. Very limited scope for modeling a subject. About as limited as it gets. Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous effort thus far. Amazing. Just that the real thing is so limited in scope...

Edited by ijozic

It was an attempt at sarcasm after three posts like these implying that all the effort in recreating this particular plane (IMHO quite appealing) could have been better used for some other more numerous subjects. And don't call me Shirley..

I am usually THE sarcastic one so my sarcasm-o-meter should be terribly well calibrated. :doh:

Sorry, my bad!

And still we wait for a 1/48 Mi-8 family. The single most widely produced helicopter in history and there's no hint of a 1/48 kit, except for two long OOP and very mediocre resin efforts. Military variants out the wazoo, including a bunch of really cool armed/armored ones. Civil variants out the wazoo, including some really wild color schemes. You could do Mi-8/17 variants until the bovines returned to their domiciles and never repeat yourself.

And still we wait...

While I love the Mi-8/-17 helicopters and worked around them a lot (not as a technician or pilot) have to accept the view of many manufacturers or for that matter publishers too, that the Mi-8 is like a number 52 doubledecker bus to Victoria and not a Formula 1 car. In the eyes of most (manufacturers/publishers) a fab looking F-1 car will sell, Sell, SELL a lot, and make money, Money, MONEY and while there are fans of the double decker it will always be relegated to one of the last position in a "Things to do" list.

I am just as sorry about this Jennings but I accept (have to accept) the point of view of manufacturers/publishers. :( It is not a question of how many of the particular helicopter around in the world but a question of subject, and have to say that the Su-33 is a gorgeous aircraft even if there are only two dozen of them around!

Best regards

Gabor

Any chance we could get it in 1/72 scale?

It is an open secret that the Zvezda 72nd scale Su-27 will be followed by the Su-33 and we (Flankerman and me) have seen its CAD at Zvezda HQ.

It looks fantastic!

Best regards

Gabor

It is an open secret that the Zvezda 72nd scale Su-27 will be followed by the Su-33 and we (Flankerman and me) have seen its CAD at Zvezda HQ.

It looks fantastic!

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, could you respond to this? Pictures would be nice too. :)

Not to pick a fight as that's NOT my intent but to Jennings comment about the Mi-8. We as modelers always clammer for the rare or seldom seen kit IE the Fruitbat or some other obscure thing from ww2 or even modern eras. Then when we get one it's as Jenning's said "why do that one hardly any were built or used". Well I for one want it, there are many releases that I don't get as they don't interest me but hey great for those who get what they've been waiting for. It really is a win, win. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't. If a Mi-8 comes along count me out as I have no interest but I certainly won't be saying "Why that one?" when xxx needs too be done. I would love to see a Flanker family done up by this new company and I hope for a whole knew Eagle family from GWH if their new B/D eagle sells but I will never ask why that one.

Jim> who is still waiting for that 48th Hasegawa A-6 ;-)

Gabor, could you respond to this? Pictures would be nice too. :)/>

Hi Berkut,

There is both good and bad news. Which one do you want to hear first? Yes, we were shown CAD images of the Flanker with lots of details on it. The bad news is that it was not the Su-27. The CAD was completely finished for Su-27 by the time we were there and it was already in production. As you could see metal was already cut.

The good news is that it was the next release Su-33 CAD images on Aleksandr's comp. I have asked for written permission from Zvezda to publish them. So should have them here soon.

I have to say that I have lost truck of things happening here on ARC after it was off the air for almost a month and have thought that Ken will publish what we have seen. After all it was his visit to Zvezda, I was just at a right place at a right time. So it would have been unethical from me to publish any photos. It is Kens story.

Best regards

Gabor

My head scratching is due to the tiny number of real Su-33s that exist, in essentially one paint scheme, for one user. Very limited scope for modeling a subject. About as limited as it gets. Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous effort thus far. Amazing. Just that the real thing is so limited in scope...

That's more-or-less what I said about the 1/72 scale Hasegawa Su-33 - but I was shouted down.

I agree that it is a subject that has just about zero conversion potential - and only one user (but with a couple of paint schemes)

Although there is now the PLANAF J-15 - so that expands the user/camo base a little.

Looks like a nice kit though - but not in my preferred scale.

Ken

This is a sexy aircraft, who cares how many they built. It will appeal to those who bought/built an SU-27 in 1/48 and there are plenty of them.

I would buy one... down the road... during a sale or somethig like that.

It looks fantastic!

Gabor, the release is scheduled for november that year.

Gabor, the release is scheduled for november that year.

Hi Igor,

The 72nd scale Zvezda Su-27 kit is scheduled for November this year. But for the 72nd Zvezda Su-33 kit we will still have to wait a bit more, unfortunately.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi everybody, my first post here. I have been reading this great forum for several years, and decided to register.

This looks like a pretty promising project of a beautiful subject. But after analyzing the CAD images posted I think there are some mistakes.

The mistake that I think it's the most important to be corrected is the lack of slope for the weapons pylons. In the CAD drawings posted there appears to be no slope at all or the slope is close to negligible, it's hard for me to determine for certain from such small images.

On the real plane ALL weapon pylons are sloped downwards 2 deg from the fuselage longitudinal axis. This is visible very well in the first picture below, compare it with the CAD drawing. The picture is not a perfect profile, but it doesn't matter much here, the difference is obvious anyway. Also on the second picture with the AKU-470 launcher mounted under the air intake-engine nacelle the spacer between the nacelle and the AKU launcher itself on the CAD image it gets a bit wider from front to rear, while on the picture of the real thing it's the other way around. (Edit: that's also because there is no slope, the AKU-470 launcher should be parallel to the other launchers under the wing)

I have also pointed out on the first picture several other issues. There are more errors on the CAD drawings that I noticed, I will post more about that soon.

01_zps36234320.jpg

02_zpsa929c858.jpg

Edited by Poncho 6231

Hi there.

Pitots and pylons have already been noted a while ago, so those are either adjusted or in process of being adjusted. Rear canopy frame is fine. I think you do have a point when it comes to coaming behind seat and the section of the tail.

Hi Berkut, I think you are right about the rear canopy frame, it is correct. I looked more carefully at the other CAD drawings posted, in the side profile drawing I used in my previous post the coloured "edge" is not actually the boundary between metal and transparency, and this is well visible in the close-up drawing with the canopy, so that's what fooled me.

Continuing with the critique: The fact that the nose gear leg wheels are too wide is visible with the naked eye, no measurement demonstration required. Because of that, if you try to "retract" the nose gear, the wheel will actually collide with the front gear bay's door, and in the drawing below I even ignored the debris guard behind the wheels, that adds a few pixels to the width :D

Nose gear wheels should be narrower and the nose gear bay door should open slightly more so the lower edge of the door to provide enough clearance.

03_zps496d1aa5.jpg

Poncho, wheels have also been pointed out some time ago, can't say if they have already been corrected. As to the door, it should open a few degrees more indeed, but that is a matter that can be dealt easily with during gluing.

Edited by Berkut