1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

= ?

As I've mentioned plenty of times, future releases will depend on how well this one does.

Honestly, I'm excited about working on the OV-10, but my personal preference happens to be pointy planes.

This looks like a pretty promising project of a beautiful subject. But after analyzing the CAD images posted I think there are some mistakes.

Welcome to ARC Poncho! :cheers:

As Berkut commented, many of the items you found have already been noted and are hopefully being fixed.

I did pass the other info on to the team and we'll see what they can do.

The one item that I'm doubting they'll be able to change is the rear coaming behind the seat. It does appear that it might be a little high towards the front, but not that bad in my eyes.

Changing this detail at this point would be a big issue.

One thing that may be deceiving is that the canopy frame, which extends up onto the sides of the clear part, is the same color as the clear parts on the CAD. if the frame where painted then the coaming wouldn't appear as tall towards the front.

Will there be etched parts or single piece missiles like Great Wall has?

Yes!

I've already mentioned that there will be etch but I did learn that the missiles will be one piece, almost. In order to ensure maximum detail, the Archers will have a separate exhaust and photo-etch front fins and vanes.

Another detail I confirmed is that the wheels will be injection styrene molded rather than rubber. :woo:

:cheers:

The one item that I'm doubting they'll be able to change is the rear coaming behind the seat. It does appear that it might be a little high towards the front, but not that bad in my eyes.

Changing this detail at this point would be a big issue.

One thing that may be deceiving is that the canopy frame, which extends up onto the sides of the clear part, is the same color as the clear parts on the CAD. if the frame where painted then the coaming wouldn't appear as tall towards the front.

Yes, I understand that it's too late, modifying that part would probably require changes to other parts directly related. As you said, the error is not that big anyway and detail-wise the part looks excellent.

But how about skin panel lines and access panels, are they willing to make some corrections? Please study the examples below.

04_zps7ea7b6b5.jpg

05_zpse68b53c4.jpg

But how about skin panel lines and access panels, are they willing to make some corrections?

Wow - unbelievably "tough" critique - at what point does it stop????? I have to shake my head at this one.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Wow - unbelievably "tough" critique - at what point does it stop????? I have to shake my head at this one.

Gene K

Well, Chris and I have been picking on smaller things that that, and:

As I said in the first post, these are not the final CAD drawings. We are aware that there are some problems and they are being fixed. That said, we may have missed some things.

If you notice any problems feel free point them out or better yet, e-mail me about them.

I think i can speak for Chris here; neither I or him are discouraging critique, no matter how small. Not sure why you want to?

Well, Chris and I have been picking on smaller things that that,....

And I certainly say thanks to both of you since that will be of great benefit to all of us - eventually.

However, as Chris said regarding another change, "Changing this detail at this point would be a big issue" - which generated my posting "At what point does it stop"? Evidently making minuscule changes/adjustments to panel lines is not a big deal at this point in the model's development, and it's great that you and the company are so open to making things as correct and accurate as possible.

Gene K

"Perfection is the enemy of progress" - or something like that.

As I've mentioned plenty of times, future releases will depend on how well this one does.

Honestly, I'm excited about working on the OV-10, but my personal preference happens to be pointy planes.

I'll do my part ;-)

Jim

PS also thanks to Chris and Berkut for working with this manufacturer.

Anticipation. One of the new AKAN six pack paints is dedicated to the Su-33!

AKAN actually has two sets suitable for the Su-33.

47302, although now labeled for the Su-25UTG and Su-39, also contains the original 1990s three-tone scheme for the T-10K-2/3/4/6, Su-27K, & Su-33 (AKAN 73064/73065/73066). Mr. Akan has a box full of old panels from one of the T-10K prototypes in his workshop, which were used for reference.

AKAN47302_zps40eb0134.jpg

47326 is appropriate for the current Su-33 scheme

AKAN47326_zps8c0d3499.jpg

Finally, if anyone is interested in the Soviet (and later Russian) Su-27Ks used in deck trials 1989-93, this is a great old reference to seek out.

MA694_zps000c7773.jpg

Mir Aviatsii 6.94 was a special on naval aviation to celebrate the tricentennial of the Russian Navy. It contains lots of nice line drawings of the T-10K-6.

HTH

www.lindenhillimports.com/akan.htm

.. I did learn that the missiles will be one piece, almost. In order to ensure maximum detail, the Archers will have a separate exhaust and photo-etch front fins and vanes.

Another detail I confirmed is that the wheels will be injection styrene molded rather than rubber. :woo:/>

:cheers:/>

Beautiful! :)

However, as Chris said regarding another change, "Changing this detail at this point would be a big issue" - which generated my posting "At what point does it stop"? Evidently making minuscule changes/adjustments to panel lines is not a big deal at this point in the model's development, and it's great that you and the company are so open to making things as correct and accurate as possible.

Actually, any critiques or suggestions are best done at this stage before tools are cut.

However, I would guess that since this a start-up company doing their very first kit, having no existing kits to generate income, I doubt they have an unlimited budget to keep making changes. What they have already accomplished in the CAD seems pretty impressive to me, especially for a first kit. I know I’ve kept them up working long hours already. :rolleyes:

I’ll keep feeding them suggested changes/corrections but I’m not sure at what point they’ll have to say it’s already good enough.

That being said, I’d personally prefer that people e-mail me if they discover problems rather than paste them on the thread. If they are significant problems I’m sure they will be addressed, but if it’s just some minor panel line problems they may end up having to leave them as-is, I don’t know.

Once these things are shared on the forums, everybody then knows about the problems and their opinions may be swayed. It would be a shame if a few minor panel lines might give someone the impression that the kit is sub-standard.

:cheers:

= ?

271.gif

Pardon me if I missed it; What scale will the Bronco be in?

Hi Berkut,

As promised here are a few photos of the 72nd developments of the same Su-33 but this time in an office near Moscow. The future Zvezda kit in CAD development stage and its designer Aleksandr Adamtsov.

Zvezda5_zpsb08c0e04.jpg

Zvezda7_zps1d153938.jpg

Zvezda13_zpsbf3d6bed.jpg

So both scales will be catered for.

Sorry for the off topic but this is where I was asked.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Even if these are surely not too many fans of Chinese "versions" of Russian aircraft I would like to beg to consider the J-15 too ... here are a few images from the latest carrier test including the prototypes 552, 553 and 554 ....

By the way the first two pre-production aircraft were just handed over to the PLAN a few days ago.

Full Size : Link

J15_5.jpg

J15_6.jpg

J15_7.jpg

J15_8.jpg