CH-178 Hip (Mi-17V-5) 1/72

Very interesting subject. Did you try searching Combat Camera for Hip images? Here are a couple links I found, after scrolling through more than 60 pages of images (the search function turned up nothing on Hip, but these images referred to CCAT or Civilian Canadian Air Transport helicopters. Catalogue numbers AR2011-0039-001, 002, 003 are the 3 I stumbled on.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=results_eng.np&site=combatcamera&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=afghanistan&sorton=IPTC%20-%20Date%20Created&ascending=0&offset=1098

I never even knew about Combat Camera, so thank you for that bit of knowledge!

An advanced search with terms "Afghanistan" as 'Country' and "helicopter" in the 'Caption' field gave 300 results: lots of Griffons and Chinooks, American and Turkish Blackhawks, German CH-53 and Afghan and CCAT Hips... but not a single CH-178.

An advanced search with 'JTF-Afg' and 'helicopter' in the 'Caption' field gave 182 results... plenty of Griffons and Chinooks again, but not a single CH-178.

I sort of knew we operated Russian helos, but I am vague on who were the aircrew (were they leased with/without crew?) and who actually owned them. Will have to dig around and find out.

ALF

I dunno about ownership, AFAIK they were leased, not bought. As for the aircrew, I've been led to understand that they were crewed entirely by Canadians.

I started a thread on this subject a couple years back when I first started this project (here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=224103), and I did get a couple of interesting comments:

I wonder if I should be surprised that CanMilAir got a photo of one of those aircraft.. I was right next door to those guys, & believe me, they were REAL sensitive about photos being taken of the aircraft.

When I was there last year it was no problem to 'shoot' the Chinooks and CH-146s. I left that place shortly before the Mils arrived. A friend of mine who took some pictures of one of the Hips flying by got in serious trouble. The helo actually turned around, and touched down right next to him after which he was questioned by the gunner/loadmaster, had to erase all his photos and had to give his personal details......

So yep, these are really a big secret!

and

I've heard that they're mainly used to support JTF2. Official policy is that almost all information regarding JTF2 is off limits due to opsec.

Cheers,

Sean

Later, when I discovered that they'd been taken out of service and sent to Graf Ignatievo, in a thread I made on that, there was this response:

Yep, my friend confirms he saw one, and it is indeed at TEREM in Graf Ignatievo. No pictures, because he wasn't allowed to photograph it. Apparently the one he saw was full of holes, possibly caused by small arms fire.

So, very interesting... but I still think the secrecy is all just because someone at DND has some issues about admitting our forces have used Russian equipment... :)

I did, however, find one good picture at Combat Camera...

IS2009-1016-02_zps4f4c5557.jpg

(from http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?original=45125&site=combatcamera&catalog=photos)

Maybe eventually one day I'll build this as a diorama base for my Hip! :D/>/>

Edited by Litvyak

Slowly progressing, used .005" sheet to make the inside wall panelling; here it is, with a dry fit of the ceiling and floor:

100_0621_zps97b76aac.jpg

Next to do the other inside wall and get those painted. I've ordered the Pavla Mi-8 seat set, once that's arrived I can finish with the interior finally and close it up.

I could have, and I wanted to! However, I gave the kit some time ago (after I'd ordered the HB kit but before it had arrived) to a friend who builds Warhammer stuff, and when I asked if I could have those seats back, he no longer had them. So, alas.

• 2 weeks later...

So, very interesting... but I still think the secrecy is all just because someone at DND has some issues about admitting our forces have used Russian equipment... :)/>

My source tells me it is not that we used Russian equipment it is the 'Who' used the equipment. And yes they were crewed by our own. The Hip was a stop gap to the Second hand Chinooks arriving in the sandbox although there was a little bit of overlap.

Our Special Operations have never been in the Limelight and I suspect they never will as far as their operations are concerned.

:cheers:

Emil

Our Special Operations have never been in the Limelight and I suspect they never will as far as their operations are concerned.

I only care about their helicopters - I could care less what they did with them! ;)/> (But thanks for doing it!!)

EDIT: But that said... if it's really the 'who'... why the secrecy about the helicopters even after they're gone?

Edited by Litvyak

EDIT: But that said... if it's really the 'who'... why the secrecy about the helicopters even after they're gone?

Well that I guess would be attributed to Military Intelligence. Something we'd never understand.

My source told me that if they saw anyone around or near the Mi-17 operations with a camera the stuff would hit the fan for the person with the camera. Regardless of clearance.

I think they also Leased some civie Mi-8's earlier in the Afghan Ops. I'm not sure if our forces operated them or if contractors did though.

Anyhow sorry for the Hijack of your thread...

Very nice Build BTW

:cheers:

Emil

• 1 month later...

Nothing to report at the moment, kinda lost my steam on this one right now so have set it aside for now. Maybe after I've finished some straightforward builds I'll be into this again!