1/32 F-4E Chico the Gunfighter

Hi guys,

Yes, it's yet another Chico build. However, this one will me somewhat nuanced, I came across a head-on pic of Chico showing the aircraft at a different timeframe to the usual Chico pics. Some differences seen on the pic are a red-tipped starboard SUU-23, a yellow-tipped port TER and a port forward ECM pod (ALQ-87 I think) (these are usually carried starboard). Thanks to Chuck for giving me right of first refusal on Chico back when he started his (legendary) F-4E.

Apologies if you have seen the opening pics below on a different forum.

Here is some of the work I have done on the Mk. 7 dispensers. Big thanks to Jim R. for supplying outstanding reference pictures.

I started off with the Tamiya CBUs, I sanded these clean of all detail. I then scratch-built the tail fins, which are fairly complex. They involve a fold out fin section that appears to be spring loaded. Also, the fin has a sort of vane that is on the leading edge of the assembly when folded in but forms the trailing edge once rotated out.

These are the frames that the pivoting fin are parked in before extension:

c1_zps717c84a6.jpg

I added this internal structure... this should make sense later on:

c2_zps1099984f.jpg

And here are four half-completed fin assemblies:

c3_zpsce3fd91d.jpg

These are those rails that run lengthwise along the body of the CBU. I think they are basically cable ducts. Notice that I have engraved channels to represent the cable ducting. Also note the circular cut-outs:

c5a_zpsc8d8ce5f.jpg

And here we fast-forward a bit. Fins and cable ducts are attached. Note the new windows on the nose, various holes around the nose section as well as "riveting".

c7_zps69d85bd7.jpg

All the dark areas are not from test-washing, but are from all the pencil I use to measure and mark.

c8_zps13f76dc5.jpg

A close-up view of the tail assembly. Note the little "vanes" inside the leading edge of the fins. Also note the strap around the body of the CBU ahead of the fins, I believe this is used to safety the fins prior to deployment.

c10_zps40e177d5.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Welcome back to WIP threads Buddy! Your scratch building is scary good as usual.

PS: I eventually found the link to my F-4E build and bumped it up for your future reference. For some reason the links to older builds like this one are missing when you do a search.

Thanks for the interest! It's good to be back on ARC.

Will you attempt to cast these yourself?

Jesse, I fortunately have friends in high places so hopefully this will be cast for me. If things turn out well the CBU will eventually also be generally available as after-market.

Chuck, thanks for bringing up your Phantom build, it has already saved me from making a mistake.

:cheers:

Marcel

Nice start but one major problem with the Tamiya Rockeyes, besides lack of detail, the back end is too narrow, the back plate should be more like this:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/shawn_antunes/f-105d_61-0086/images/f-105d_61-0086_032_of_160.jpg

Jari

Thanks Jari. I hadn't noticed that before, too late to do anything about it now. Not sure I could have anyway, I don't own a lathe (I will buy one when we move back to the U.S. one day).

Cheers,

Marcel

Here is what the Mk.7's look like with additional detail added and paint on.

c11_zps2e9bd451.jpg

c12_zps8c779ff6.jpg

Another view below. Jari pointed out that the tail taper is excessive. In the interim, I had mailed these to Harold (AMS). Fortunately Harold has been able to fix the issue, so if things work according to plan I will be able to load up my Chico with some nice and accurate Mk.7's, plus these bad boys will be generally available some time in the future. Thanks Harold, and also thanks Jari for pointing this out.

c13_zps38f4dfc6.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

One more item Marcel, the fuze windows should be flush like here:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/shawn_antunes/f-105d_61-0086/images/f-105d_61-0086_024_of_160.jpg

Jari

Yeah, they look a little more proud than they are in real life, keep in mind that the pics are really magnified. When painted black, they won't look all that proud I think. That said, I hear what you are saying, I actually initially tried to scribe them but had difficulty doing that on the double-convex surface, so I ended up cutting the shapes from the thinnest plastic sheet I could find and then glueing on. Once I get them back in resin, I will sand them almost flush, I think that's what people that may buy these down the line can do also do if they want.

Thanks again for the very constructive feedback.

On another note, does anyone out there know how to get a hold of the Sierra Hotel Phantom exhausts? I am on their website almost every day but can never seem to get a hold of them. I also emailed Sierra Hotel but the email bounced back.

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Yeah, they look a little more proud than they are in real life, keep in mind that the pics are really magnified. When painted black, they won't look all that proud I think. That said, I hear what you are saying, I actually initially tried to scribe them but had difficulty doing that on the double-convex surface, so I ended up cutting the shapes from the thinnest plastic sheet I could find and then glueing on. Once I get them back in resin, I will sand them almost flush, I think that's what people that may buy these down the line can do also do if they want.

Thanks again for the very constructive feedback.

On another note, does anyone out there know how to get a hold of the Sierra Hotel Phantom exhausts? I am on their website almost every day but can never seem to get a hold of them. I also emailed Sierra Hotel but the email bounced back.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

The solution for the "windows" would be some dark decal film. However, I am doing what Marcel suggested. I am sanding them down as much as possible.

The solution for the "windows" would be some dark decal film. However, I am doing what Marcel suggested. I am sanding them down as much as possible.

Thanks Harold! Between you, Jari and me we, we should get these things to look half-decent.

:thumbsup:

Marcel

Thx Harold... I was being somewhat facetious, these Mk.7's will be at a different level to anything else out there right now.

:thumbsup:/>

Marcel

I made more molds yesterday. I left a bit more of the "safety bands" on the rear section than should be there, (on propose). That is the break line from the main canister section. That is where the casting block needs to be removed, that way the modeler has a small amount of leeway when they sand that area flat, to mate to the main body.

It worked for me anyway...

11bee and Wolfgun33, thanks for the support!

I made more molds yesterday. I left a bit more of the "safety bands" on the rear section than should be there, (on propose). That is the break line from the main canister section. That is where the casting block needs to be removed, that way the modeler has a small amount of leeway when they sand that area flat, to mate to the main body.

It worked for me anyway...

Harold, can't wait to get them in the mail!

Here is the start of the SUU-23 builds... they have turned into little models all on their own.

I am using Harold's resin pods. I then had he idea of sinking the Master brass Vulcan set into the pod by drilling out the front. I started with a 1mm bit and worked my way up to 4mm:

v5_zps6584d2bd.jpg

At the same time, I drilled out the AMS blast suppressor (that's what I presume it's function was) and also drilled the little perforations around the circumference of the "can". I then also used a Master brass barrel spacer as the end plate. Importantly, the barrels do NOT protrude from the plate as is almost always incorrectly shown on models of the SUU-23. The plate at the front end of the SUU-23 is truly just a flat plate with six holes around the perimeter and a central hole.

v6_zps992a7657.jpg

And with some initial paint on:

v14_zps196b33b8.jpg

As I got more into construction, I thought I'd drill through a hole from the back of the pod such that I can sink the barrel assembly in from the back, which makes sense since the assembly is tapered towards the front:

DSC_0052_zpsc3ae8897.jpg

I did all of this by hand without any guides, fortunately I lucked out and managed to keep the drill centered. You can see how close things got:

DSC_0051_zpsf4a9392d.jpg

More to follow.

Marcel

After successfully drilling a centered hole all the way through from the back, I then decided I just couldn't live with the large vents being closed. The solution to that was to cut off the tips of the pods and sand the respective area from the inside. Here's a rough cut of how that looks:

v9_zps9f78e422.jpg

Note that I also ended up rebuilding those smaller vents somewhat further back. I invented a little trick to help with this: By stacking up standard channel sections of the appropriate size, I can create a consistent vent. Also, if you ever try this, stack up substantial lengths on top of one another and then just slice off a grill section with a sharp blade.

v10b_zpsb48dac96.jpg

I also detailed the ejector port:

v10_zps1ec19fd2.jpg

And here is an overview:

v8_zpsa44110c3.jpg

And here is an overview of how everything assembles together:

v16_zpsb7ae4e0d.jpg

Marcel

Just wow.

Ditto! I promised myself that I wouldn't post on ARC before I came back from vacation, but your super clean scratch work is up there with Guy and John- which is saying a lot! Very cool scratch work Buddy!