1/32 F-4E Chico the Gunfighter

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks for all of the comments! I really cannot wait to get stuck into my Marine Phantom to load those Zunis.

Anyways, we are back home now and its grey winter, hard to believe our sunny vacation is over. However, on the bright side, I have already gotten stuck back into Chico.

Here is the nose-mounted cannon, this is also the Master cannon, same as the pods.

v12_zpsce5317a1.jpg

Some details added to the kit parts:

DSC_03882_zpseb7c0703.jpg

I have cut out the gun breech door, as Chuck did on his build. The head-on photo of Chico shown previously shows this to be open on Chico when Chico was parked, as was standard.

This is where I am with the gun breech door. I have added mesh across the vents and also some framing. I just went through Chuck's F-4E build again and though dang, I really need to add more detail, so that will be forthcoming.

DSC_03622_zps3d068eb5.jpg

I also cut open the vents in the gun fairing and again added mesh. The mesh is a little coarse but then again the larger holes will be less susceptible to clogging.

DSC_03632_zpsae6fb908.jpg

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Thx Check Six, Thx Jake!

Here is a pic of the gun (without barrels) mounted in the nose. The fit of the Tamiya parts is just absolutely perfect.

DSC_0494_zpsda30b80b.jpg

Here is where I am with the Avionix cockpit. I have worked several months to get to this point (I was doing the cockpit on the side while completing the Mk.7's and gun pods). I really struggled with the fit. Just as I had glued the tubs in place with the front instrument panel, I proceeded to crack the front instrument panel into two. I was not able to replace the panel since it is very firmly glued in place, so I got a little creative with the Eduard photo-etch part... if you look very closely below, you will see that the right hand side of the instrument panel has been replaced. Fortunately, the real deal cockpit has colored Dymo tape all over the place, so I used some painted strips of plastic to simulate these and also cover mistakes.

DSC_0487_zps4c9b5c12.jpg

Lots of detail to still be added, including throttle quadrant and rear instrument panel.

DSC_0488_zpsd35cf7e0.jpg

I was reading Jesse's F-15E build, he used a neat little trick to provide depth to his HUD projection lens. I used the same method, but used silver Al foil to create reflecting surfaces inside the "box". I didn't take any in-progress pics of that, but here is the result. Note the "depth" of the gun sight projection lens:

DSC_0496_zpscfa5400f.jpg

Here is a closer look at what is going on behind the rear seat. I completely messed up the fit here, there is a significant step-down from the kit sills to the Avionix tub. I didn't want to install a new panel to level things out, so instead I created some tubing and placed this strategically so that the step is no longer visible. These tubes are probably not present on the real deal but who is to say that the guys working on the jet didn't decide to tie some of the many tubes together into hoses with the result shown below. Incidentally, I used rolled up lead foil to create these, this makes for a very pliable tube and also results in a "stocking" kind of look.

Also note that I added a rim using a white plastic strip, this is found on the real aircraft but is missing from both the kit and the Avionix set. Finally, I inserted some channel sections in the slots where the rear canopy is connected to the airframe. This little trick will ensure that I can lower the rear canopy into position without needing any glue once the model is almost complete. Using a channel section and a black wash preserves the required appearance.

DSC_0497_zpsff94d97c.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thanks guys! Chuck, Jesse, yeah, sometimes you just have to know how to cover your tracks ;)/>

I believe Chuck was the first guy to uncover what has come to be regarded as the great Tamiya Phantom outer wing station boo-boo. I looked closely at photos and indeed, the outer wing station is markedly too far outboard. With that knowledge at hand, here is how I went about addressing that:

I used the 1/48 scale drawings in Danny Coremans book to get a precise location of the outer wing station, assuming the scale drawing is accurate and the rest of outer flap geometry of the Tamiya kit is good.

DSC_0486_zps3a681052.jpg

Multiplying the above measurement by 1.5 to scale up to 1/32 = 18.4mm and taking this length along the corresponding flap leading ede on the kit results in the following position of the outer wing station on the kit:

DSC_04912_zps34aa1039.jpg

Note the three smaller holes on the new outer station line (the inside pencil mark) that will be used to locate and mount the AMS supplied outer wing pylons.

For those of you that want to reposition the outer station, the above ends up with the revised centerline of the outer station being 4.5mm or 0.18" from the centerline of the Tamiya outer station.

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys. Long time no update on this build. I have been work travelling quite extensively plus I managed to break the lens of my camera and was therefore unable to take update shots until I finally sourced a replacement.

That said, there has been much progress on the Phantom. The kit lends itself to a fast progress, notwithstanding the little updates I have done here and there. I will break down the updates into multiple posts due to the volume of work covered since the last post.

Here is an overall view of where things stand. Note up front: The evidence shows Chico to have featured slime lights and the long gun muzzle. Worth pointing out since I sometimes see these in error on Chico models.

DSC_0483_zps3318b0af.jpg

The rest of this update will focus on the tail area. First off a reference pic showing the obvious: There is substantial air between the slat and the horizontal tail.

slatgap_zpsb26126a0.jpg

I recreated this by simply scribing the respective area away on the model.

DSC_04972_zps5944f092.jpg

DSC_0498_zps6793234f.jpg

DSC_04962_zps5dc7f4c1.jpg

Chuck made us all aware of what he called "washers" around the alligator section of the Phantom. I thought I'd take a closer look at these.

DSCN9085_zps82c5ff51.jpg

I initially thought the kit fasteners were too small. However, using the above pic and simple triangulation, the washer diameter in 1/32 is 1.1mm i.e. pretty much the same as the kit. Chuck used the term washer for these, and that let me think about using Scale Hardware washers to represent the raised and very prominent look of these. Scale Hardware markets 1mm OD washers. Perfect!

Here is the result:

DSC_0504_zps484d78dc.jpg

DSC_0505_zps09a163f8.jpg

I am very anxious to see how this will look with paint on. They may appear too prominent, with the result looking like a Phantom tail with warts. On my next Phantom I will be countersinking these a little.

Thx for looking!

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Great work (as usual) Marcel and I'm jealous of your opened up slats on the tail. I thought of doing this, but chickened out because I found opening up the gun vents was tricky enough. Very nice work- and if I ever make another one of these beasts, I'll follow your lead.

I will also follow your lead on those nice little brass washers. PERFECT match and find!- and a whole lot easier than boring them out like I did. It looks like you replaced the triangular vents next to the engine nozzles. Are those after-market?

Looking forward to more!

Wow Marcel, paint? Already? Man, you work fast and efficiently! Gutsy move with the horizontal stabs, but very impressive work as usual. Must've been a bit challenging gluing those washers on in a perfect line as you achieved... Great job!

/Jesse

Thanks for all of the encouragement, I really appreciate it! Chuck, Jesse, getting those washers on was actually quite a chore, keep in mind there are 96 of them in total, they are tiny and have to all line up perfectly. The way to go (but not done this time around)is to get a hold of a 1.2mm drill bit and slightly countersink them, that will aid the process hugely and make them more secure also. Not sure if you guys noticed but I already lost two washers, will be gluing them back on shortly.

Jesse, yeah, this kit is just awesome, so nice to be able to make rapid progress. That said, I'll really only know where I stand once the first coat of paint is on.

Chuck, those vents by the exhausts are from SH. A friend was willing to sell me a whole bunch of SH stuff, including two sets of exhausts, so I really lucked out. I'll be covering those exhausts in detail once I get to painting them.

Here is some more work on the tail area.

First off, the tail hook. This is entirely inspired by Chuck's build, although I used Scale Hardware bits. Note how the washer is bent around the back profile of the hook. Also note that I sunk a little hex bolt into the one side to replicate a sort of nut that is found there.

DSC_0509_zpsc6a03b04.jpg

DSC_0508_zps8a8e5e5d.jpg

On the below pic, note the SH vent by the exhaust as well as the beginning work on that little window (the window is again covered extensively by Chuck's build).

DSC_0489_zpsa9209cda.jpg

Now for something different. Notice in the below pic how deep those "holes" (as pointed out by the arrows) are.

dimples_zps58eda5d9.jpg

Consequently, I drilled these out on the model:

DSC_0499_zps6a070b8a.jpg

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Hello Marcell.

To see the passion and he precision that you put in the bombs, I'm really anxious to see what you can do with the rest of the plane.

You builders at 1:32 I really envy you, your paths are really long and full of work, it is a scale that does not forgive.

Congratulations, I will follow with interest

The rest of this update will focus on the tail area. First off a reference pic showing the obvious: There is substantial air between the slat and the horizontal tail.

slatgap_zpsb26126a0.jpg

I recreated this by simply scribing the respective area away on the model.

DSC_04972_zps5944f092.jpg

DSC_0498_zps6793234f.jpg

DSC_04962_zps5dc7f4c1.jpg

Thx for looking!

Marcel

Amazing! I tried opening the stabilator leading edge slots on a Revell 1/32 F-4E, and the slots all ended up with varying widths, plus I managed to damage many of the teardrop panel supports. I was so disappointed with the results that I shelved the model, and later gave it away to a friend who probably won't notice or care. I've concluded my modeling skills pretty much suck.

Your model is really coming along nicely, thanks for the updates. One thing you might want to change though, it appears you removed the bellows probe but left the pitot probe in place on the vertical fin leading edge, the pitot should've been the one removed for an F-4E.

Scott Wilson

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks guys! Jari, thanks for those links.

One thing you might want to change though, it appears you removed the bellows probe but left the pitot probe in place on the vertical fin leading edge, the pitot should've been the one removed for an F-4E.

Scott, big thanks for noticing my mistake, I've already started the correction.

I got some Mr Surfacer on the tail (the entire model actually) and here is what the washers look like: Really cool I think.

DSC_05022_zps78e88e50.jpg

:cheers:

Marcel

Before I get into the pylons, some general update notes and pics.

When it comes to removing/reducing those raised panels and introducing panel lines, I have pretty much followed Chuck's F-4E build with blind faith.

Here is a pic of the intake and surrounds, including new panel lines, new small panel close to the front ôf the intake and flattened previously raised intake panel.

DSC_04942_zpsbef6fe2f.jpg

I also redid this door, which is presented symmetrical by Tamiya but is in fact asymmetrical.

DSC_0495_zpsb23f10a2.jpg

Now for the pylons. I once agin used Scale Hardware items to add detail. The flange kind of things at the top of the pylons are not flush to the bottom fuselarge. Instead, there are circular protrusions that are inbetween. I used Scale Hardware washers to recreate these.

DSC_0506_zps823af824.jpg

The "feet" of the sway braces are still to be added.

DSC_0501_zps6bbcf58e.jpg

DSC_0502_zps89b26b4b.jpg

There is a little nut at the top trailing edge of the pylon. I sunk a tiny hex bolt in there to simulate the nut.

DSC_05042_zpsa2a41d9c.jpg

:cheers:

Marcel