1/32 F-4E Chico the Gunfighter

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, thanks for all the big support on this build.

Unfortunately things took a really bad turn yesterday. I had added a bunch more weathering, blotchy paint etc and gave Chico the final clear coat, thinking I am almost done. The clear coat has turned whitish on me, kinda like waht happens with Tamiya base coat when not mixed with gloss clear--not as extereme but bad enought to ruin the model. FYI the paints I used where Gunze Flat Clear mixed with a little Gunze Clear Gloss, thinned with winscreen wiper fluid.

I have tried light sanding to get rid of the "clear" coat but that doesn't seeem to work and I have damaged the decals trying to get rid of the whitish coat.

Anyway, I have placed the Phantom in a closet. At some point in future I will engage the project again but I have lost all motivation to proceed right now. In the mean time, if anyone knows where I could source the Two Bobs Chico sheet, that would be a huge help (I will need to repaint and redecal once I turn attention to this again).

Not yet sure what the next project will be, hopefully I can muster up the enthusiam to do the F-4J, else it will be something very straightforward like a Tamiya F-16 or Revell Tornado.

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Marcel,

I am sooo sorry about Chico. Man you were on the final stretch...I guess the best thing to do is put it in a safe spot for now. Not I, but I'm SURE one of the guys here, will be able to walk you through a fix. I would LOVE to see Chico some day in the display case!!!

Don't worry, things will work out, just give it time.

In the meantime, KEEP MODELLING! Love seeing your work!!!

Jason

That's too bad what had happened to your F-4E Marcel; that was a fantastic build. I had a similar problem like you went through. Unlike yours, I used MM flat clear lacquer over Tamiya gloss coat, and it frosted like what you described. Don't know why it did, as the flat clear bottle was fairly new. I was about to toss the model, when I thought I'd try something new. I shot the model with straight up clear lacquer thinner that I was using, and it somehow clear the frosts completely and left a flat finish like it was suppose to. I don't understand the science behind it, but somehow it brought back the original flat finish minus the frosts after the thinner dried.

Hopefully, you'll find the motivation to finish the Chico someday.

All the best

Triet

Guys, thanks for all the big support on this build.

Unfortunately things took a really bad turn yesterday. I had added a bunch more weathering, blotchy paint etc and gave Chico the final clear coat, thinking I am almost done. The clear coat has turned whitish on me, kinda like waht happens with Tamiya base coat when not mixed with gloss clear--not as extereme but bad enought to ruin the model. FYI the paints I used where Gunze Flat Clear mixed with a little Gunze Clear Gloss, thinned with winscreen wiper fluid.

I have tried light sanding to get rid of the "clear" coat but that doesn't seeem to work and I have damaged the decals trying to get rid of the whitish coat.

Anyway, I have placed the Phantom in a closet. At some point in future I will engage the project again but I have lost all motivation to proceed right now. In the mean time, if anyone knows where I could source the Two Bobs Chico sheet, that would be a huge help (I will need to repaint and redecal once I turn attention to this again).

Not yet sure what the next project will be, hopefully I can muster up the enthusiam to do the F-4J, else it will be something very straightforward like a Tamiya F-16 or Revell Tornado.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

That's really too bad especially when it is so close to completion. But there is a solution to your predicament. The frosting is usually caused when spraying flat clear in a high humidity environment. To get rid of the frosting, simply spray on some lacquer thinner straight from the bottle. The frosting should disappear without damaging the underlying paint and decals.

Hope to see you finish this soon!

Mark

OH NO!!!!!! i was really looking forward to see this complete, especially when i want to attempt the same kit!! was planning to use your build as a tutorial. i hope you get back on it soon.

looking forward to your next tutorial / build

Guys, thanks for all the consolations. Mark, that's very good feedback, the relative humidity relation makes sense, it was warm and raining when I did that final coat.

Too bad I already sanded down the model in some places when I could have used the lacquer thinner trick :bandhead2:

Anyway, I need to put this build behind me for now. I started with the Zuni's for my F-4J last night, so looks like I am continuing the Phantom theme. Already have complete exhausts (made two sets when I did Chico) and almost-complete ejection seats (also did those in parallel with the AF seats). Plus this way I hopefully get some utility from the Rockeye work I did.

:cheers:

Marcel

Marcel,

I know it sucks and kills the modeling mojo but I think you should keep going. The way I see it, your Phantom is what 90% done. The hard parts are done. Building, sanding, fitting... Just strip it and keep going. I think chuck540z3 said it best somewhere, what makes a good modeler is not how he or she builds but how they fix their mistakes. The longer it set in your closet the least likely you are to go back to it. I know how it feels, I had a similar thing happen to me on my current project. Had a scheme in mind, paint on the aircraft and absolutely hated it. Was bumped out for about a day or two. Then I figured how much time I had into the build to just let it sit. So I stripped her back to bare plastic found another paint scheme and I'm still going. Just something to think about.

Don't stop modeling,

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

Sorry to hear of your problem, no real answer.

I do not like using an acrylic finish for this reason, you cannot correct them once something goes wrong, I use Testors Dullcote Lacquers, and as mentioned below, if they frost, you hit it with straight Lacquer and it goes away.

Acrylic clears, I don't like em, and will not risk using them. Sorry.

Curt

That's too bad what had happened to your F-4E Marcel; that was a fantastic build. I had a similar problem like you went through. Unlike yours, I used MM flat clear lacquer over Tamiya gloss coat, and it frosted like what you described. Don't know why it did, as the flat clear bottle was fairly new. I was about to toss the model, when I thought I'd try something new. I shot the model with straight up clear lacquer thinner that I was using, and it somehow clear the frosts completely and left a flat finish like it was suppose to. I don't understand the science behind it, but somehow it brought back the original flat finish minus the frosts after the thinner dried.

Hopefully, you'll find the motivation to finish the Chico someday.

All the best

Triet

Sorry to hear about Chico, Marcel. It's every modellers' nightmare having something seriously bad happen near the end of a build.

I'm glad you're on to another build & will be looking forward to your updates.

Thx John... stay tuned for my opening F-4J post :)

Marcel,

I know it sucks and kills the modeling mojo but I think you should keep going. The way I see it, your Phantom is what 90% done. The hard parts are done. Building, sanding, fitting... Just strip it and keep going. I think chuck540z3 said it best somewhere, what makes a good modeler is not how he or she builds but how they fix their mistakes. The longer it set in your closet the least likely you are to go back to it. I know how it feels, I had a similar thing happen to me on my current project. Had a scheme in mind, paint on the aircraft and absolutely hated it. Was bumped out for about a day or two. Then I figured how much time I had into the build to just let it sit. So I stripped her back to bare plastic found another paint scheme and I'm still going. Just something to think about.

Don't stop modeling,

Steven L

Steven, thx for the support. I have actually had this kind of thing happen to me before (though not at such a late stage of the build) and I bounced back to complete (this was my F-15E "Southern Outlaw build"). For me, the key is to put the project aside and take some of the e^motion out of it, then re-engage with the mindset of it being a new project. In this particular case, I don't have a choice anyway since I need to source new Chico decals.

Sorry to hear of your problem, no real answer.

I do not like using an acrylic finish for this reason, you cannot correct them once something goes wrong, I use Testors Dullcote Lacquers, and as mentioned below, if they frost, you hit it with straight Lacquer and it goes away.

Acrylic clears, I don't like em, and will not risk using them. Sorry.

Curt

Hello Curt... yes, I am will definitly be going back to my tried and tested Testors clear coats.

Marcel

Was it the flat coat that turned white?

If so....just shoot a gloss coat on top and it´ll clear up, I´ve made the mistake on occasion with flat coats and the save is total :D

"Never give up, never surrender!" /Jason Nesmith, Galaxy quest

Wow Marcel, that really sucks! I've had trouble with acrylic clear coats frosting as well, so now I avoid them. Good plan putting this project away for awhile, because right now it's work rather than fun, which is not what any modeller wants.

Now maybe some good news. I'm pretty sure I have the decals you need, but I'm on vacation for another week, so I'll check when I get home.

... because right now it's work rather than fun, which is not what any modeller wants.

Yeah, that sums it up perfectly. I honestly think I will get into Chico again with renewed energy once I have a cool-down period.

Now maybe some good news. I'm pretty sure I have the decals you need, but I'm on vacation for another week, so I'll check when I get home.

That would be HUGE!!

Marcel

Fingers crossed! I should know on Monday, but I'm fairly confident I have not one but two sets of these decals, so giving you one is a no-brainer. I definitely have a set called "SEA Heroes", so what other set could it be?

Sorry to hear about Chico. The one thing about this hobby that never ceases to amaze me is the amount of unforeseen variables that can ruin a model. Hundreds and even thousands of hours spent on a model can go to waste in an instant. I know you'll get back on it eventually once your head is clear and I'm sure you'll bring it back to life. A small bit of encouragement for you. I botched the gloss paint job on my F-4S not once but twice long ago. I literally had to strip it down to the plastic, twice. Not fun when the intake ducts had already been sanded smooth/painted and you're trying to prevent paint stripper from entering all the finished areas. Also not fun when i mistakenly used lighter fluid instead of oven cleaner to strip paint and chunks of plastic just start breaking off of the model.I eventually succeeded in finishing the model and it went on to do quite well at the nationals......perseverance is all you'll need, and lots of it....Good Luck

Thx Chuck, the "SEA heroes" should be it!

Sorry to hear about Chico. The one thing about this hobby that never ceases to amaze me is the amount of unforeseen variables that can ruin a model. Hundreds and even thousands of hours spent on a model can go to waste in an instant. I know you'll get back on it eventually once your head is clear and I'm sure you'll bring it back to life. A small bit of encouragement for you. I botched the gloss paint job on my F-4S not once but twice long ago. I literally had to strip it down to the plastic, twice. Not fun when the intake ducts had already been sanded smooth/painted and you're trying to prevent paint stripper from entering all the finished areas. Also not fun when i mistakenly used lighter fluid instead of oven cleaner to strip paint and chunks of plastic just start breaking off of the model.I eventually succeeded in finishing the model and it went on to do quite well at the nationals......perseverance is all you'll need, and lots of it....Good Luck

Thx for the encouragement! I think I may get away with just sanding some of the effected areas, so nothing like the drama you experienced. Good to hear your model still did well at the Nationals, that is inspiring.

Marcel

Marcel,

I just got home tonight and I am very pleased to inform you that I have not one but TWO sets of the these decals and I can part with one set free of charge. PM sent. Good thing you say nice things about my models even when I crash and burn. :D

Marcel,

I just got home tonight and I am very pleased to inform you that I have not one but TWO sets of the these decals and I can part with one set free of charge. PM sent. Good thing you say nice things about my models even when I crash and burn. :D/>

Wow, that's huge! Needless to say I will hook you up with all the Rockeye and Lau-10 decals you'll ever need :thumbsup:

Marcel

Marcel,

I have lurked on your build post for some time. Excellent work and an unfortunate turdburger on your finish. I had a similar problem on one of my builds too. I heeded the suggestions of fellow modelers. While I was upset at first, thinking all my work was going to end up in a plastic bag lined round recpticle beside my bench, I put the model aside for a couple of days and cooled down only to pick up the project a week or so later as start at it again. Sounds like you'll be doing the same thing. Good for you. It's a wonderful hobby. I use my model building time as stress relief. We can't beat ourselves up when things go sideways. Ne sense in stressing about stress relief, is there?

Very sporting of Chuck to step up and offer a replacement set of decals. :thumbsup: Return to your project when you're in the right mindset and carry on. You will end up with the result you want. Patience sir and the stars will align again.

Good luck.

Mike

Marcel,

I have lurked on your build post for some time. Excellent work and an unfortunate turdburger on your finish. I had a similar problem on one of my builds too. I heeded the suggestions of fellow modelers. While I was upset at first, thinking all my work was going to end up in a plastic bag lined round recpticle beside my bench, I put the model aside for a couple of days and cooled down only to pick up the project a week or so later as start at it again. Sounds like you'll be doing the same thing. Good for you. It's a wonderful hobby. I use my model building time as stress relief. We can't beat ourselves up when things go sideways. Ne sense in stressing about stress relief, is there?

Very sporting of Chuck to step up and offer a replacement set of decals. Return to your project when you're in the right mindset and carry on. You will end up with the result you want. Patience sir and the stars will align again.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I am actually getting more and more motivated to get going on Chico again. I will first need to assemble all the required materials though and at a minimum finish the weapons on my F-4J build.

Marcel