1/72 Hasegawa F-14D VF-31 Sunset

Thank you. There are a number of things I wish I had done differently (especially after seeing the results in my pics) but I guess I will never feel completely satisfied with a build. If it was not for my love for the Tomcat, this would be nearly impossible to finish. I am not there yet, but hope to be done soon.

Thank you very much everybody. I appreciate it. This may sound strange, but there is something special about connecting with those who have been involved with and around these jets for the longest time (like you Brian). It's difficult to explain exactly what it is, but growing up I never imagined I could ever know let alone interact with experts at this level. It is really awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely work J. As usual I should say.

I am surprised this is 1/72 though. Not your usual scale.

I would love to see you do our UCAS :)/>

Thank you very much. You're right 1/72 is not my usual scale and I miss the 1/48. I started this as a practice for my Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat, but ended up liking it a lot. I think these 72nd kits bring back memories from my childhood. I miss those days….

2708_003.jpg

2708_002.jpg

2710_002.jpg

2710_004.jpg

2710_006.jpg

2711_002.jpg

2711_003.jpg

2711_004.jpg

*sigh* back to this one.

I knew the exhaust section was going to be a challenge. A lot of masking involved:

IMG_7089.JPG

Exhaust shrouds in MM graphite metallic, exhaust petals in a mix of Alclad colors, Tamiya clear orange and blue, and silver dry brushing:

IMG_7090.JPG

I wanted to do the metallic ring between the shroud and the petals so bad. I thought about masking, hand painting and various other methods. I finally thought I could use Bare Metal Foil. I had never used it before, so bought a sheet and started to experiment with it. Got the hang of it fairly quickly (good product) and cut very thin strips using a fresh blade. Carefully applied it and burnished it with a q-tip and Tamiya's q-tip:

IMG_7091.JPG

Here are the results along with various other bits and pieces. The end is near!:

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7094.JPG

Edited by Janissary

This is quite possibly the best '72 Tomcat I've seen. My only critique is the red stripes at the top of the NACES seats where the parachute harnesses connect into the headrest. I don't recall those ever being marked red, but I could very well be wrong. But, here is the 102 jet getting ready for "the flight" LINKY and the red does not appear to be there. In any case, marvelous work!

Edited by Micro

Thank you all so very much. I am humbled by your opinions. The model looks ok to me in real life but as soon as I see the pictures I go 'wtf did i do there!?!' Just tons of mistakes and moves I wish I could undo.

Micro, you are correct in your remark. Those brownish red tips at the headrest are fictitious. After painting and gloss coating the seats, I lost all the contrast between the seat belts and the cushion (they were supposed to be different colors). I decided the seats got too monotonous so made those up for fun :)

The most dreaded has happened! I lost one of the front wheels down the drain as I was washing the part for priming. This was my third attempt at masking and painting the wheels. Everything else is finished except for the two little buggers, well, now one.

This really frustrates me. I removed everything out underneath the sink, took out the U-pipe, cleaned the whole drain, ran water to catch it in a basin - all to no avail. The darn thing didn't even go through the main drain, it went through the side hole that prevents overflow. The part simply squirted out of my hand and of all places went straight through that hole!

I have no choice but to appeal for you help! Is there anybody who has built this model gear up and can spare me one of the front wheels? I am willing to pay a reasonable price + shipping. I know this is probably a long shot but I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help.

Thank you.

Edited by Janissary
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all. I wanted to thank several members who have reached out to me regarding my lost nose wheel. Phantom, thank you too for helping my search. Mike (Mikeh2) has kindly offered and sent me a pair of nose wheels as well as Fujimi's rubber tires. I ended up using the plastic parts.

After primer, Tamiya semi-gloss black, then parafilm masking:

IMG_7107.jpg

A mix of whites:

IMG_7108.jpg

After the masks came off, I had to touch up a few spots using MM enamel black, then applied a watercolor wash to the hub.

Finally, she is finished!

IMG_7114.jpg

Here is the link to the final pictures: Final pics

Edited by Janissary