I need to know if and who might make a 1/350 scale USS Oriskany. I have a neighbor that is a retired Vietnam Vet that I want to build this for and I am having trouble locating one. Im not even sure if anyone makes one or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

this may help, as the Oriskany was a Essex class and had the angle deck installed in '59. I'd like to see an angled deck Essex class in 1/700.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=153525

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

What would be intailed in taking an Essex class and bringing it up to date to build the Oriskany. This Vet was also aboard other ships but I would like to build a carrier for him. Obviously to make it the Oriskany it will take a huge amount of work but I am game if someone can list the differences for me so I can find visual references for it. Thanks again.

Edited by Devilleader501

What would be intailed in taking an Essex class and bringing it up to date to build the Oriskany. This Vet was also aboard other ships but I would like to build a carrier for him. Obviously to make it the Oriskany it will take a huge amount of work but I am game if someone can list the differences for me so I can find visual references for it. Thanks again.

I haven't seen this new Gallery Models 'Intrepid' 1/350 kit, so I can't say how close it is to the Oriskany'.

My books concern only the Lexington, however there are a few books out there that deal with the Essex class. Every carrier was different in sponsons, guns, etc.

Depending how much of a perfectionist you are, you could just build an Essex class carrier and mark it up as the Oriskany, or failing that, go to town on one and make sure all the details that concern you are modified or added.

Have a look at at : http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewforum.php?f=35

There might be some good info somewhere there.

Hope this helps,

Tony

PS. There are very few angled deck Essex carrier kits of any scale available. the most common is the 1/542 Revell. There is a Dragon 1/700 Antietem, but little else until this GALLERY Models kit comes out.

Edited by Snowbird3a

would you consider doing one in 1/500 scale.

Looks like Revell is re-releasing the old Renwal 1/500 Shangri-La. My Detail-in-Scale on the Lex says it is a better match for a Lex than the Revell Lexington 1/542 kit.

I don't know how close these two kits are to the Oriskany, you will have to reference a lot of pics to determine that.

Just another idea.

Cheers, Tony

I would like to do the 1/350 just because they are so big. This man is becoming a pretty big part of my life and I would like to show my appreciation. I have a descent amount of skill so scratch building isn't a problem. I am just trying to figure out what I would most likely need in order to build one. Cost is not a factor in this so if anyone knows someone with an Essex class Carrier they want to get rid of please let me know. Any other information you guys could bring me is very welcome and much appreciated. Thanks guys.