Interestested in doing a commemeration of the 100 aniversary?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Interestested in doing a commemeration of the 100 aniversary?

Still a bit shy of yes votes. I would have thought this would generate more interest.

While most think of the trench warfare of the Western front, there was a lot of action going on in Russia, Italy, Turkey and even Africa.

Some really interesting naval battles in Africa as well as a daring Zeppelin flight of 4200 miles in an attempt to re-supply the German forces in East Africa.

While the Western front is the most known and famous, hard battles were fought on the Slovenian territory which was later pushed into Italy on the Soca (Isonzo) front.

Here's a photo I took last year at one of many WW1 graveyards

2.jpg

And a few photos of probably one of the most beautiful locations in Europe, where soldiers fought a bloody battle during WW1.

7.jpg

A path up to one of the mountains near Krn, made during WW1 - imagine they had to bring all the heavy equippment up here - all year around

ben3099.jpg

While a mountain paradise today, this actually was location of battles with traces of war still evident all around.

ben3148.jpg

ben3149.jpg

ben3197.jpg

While the Western front is the most known and famous, hard battles were fought on the Slovenian territory which was later pushed into Italy on the Soca (Isonzo) front.

Rommel fought there. He described it in his book Infantry Attacks. I strongly recommend it if you have trouble sleeping, but it does detail the unique style of fighting in these mountains and valleys.

I'm mostly a cold war guy but that's when I grew up. It seems the Great War GB would be a cool thing to do but if it isn't meant to be then be so.

Knights of the Sky Group Build only ended up with 10 completed builds.

Edited by Spectre711
  • 3 weeks later...

I already had plans to build at least two models or dioramas a year, starting in June of 2014 and ending in November of 2018, to commemorate the centennial. A group build would just help me keep that fire kindled under my butt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...