Interestested in doing a commemeration of the 100 aniversary?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Interestested in doing a commemeration of the 100 aniversary?

• 2 weeks later...

I use guitar string cut to length and glued in place.

Rigging is my least favorite part of building early aircraft and this is the least obnoxious method of those I've tried.

I used to use fuse wire, cut to length, run through a candle and then rolled flat and glued in place with white glue, but now I use EZ-Line for rigging - it's much easier to work with, takes less time and can be used with turnbuckles.

Here's some advice from Bob's Buckles on rigging.

Vince

Edited by vince14

Well I got two done based on recruiting / propaganda posters, one for the US, one for the Entente powers (GB, France, Russia / Poland). Have some ideas for a few more with other themes.

WW1GBUSA_zpsec4ad01e.jpg

WW1GBEntente_zpsf3395d1e.jpg

One with the initial combatants represented

WW1GBFlags_zpse0a3ad65.jpg

Tank

WW1GBtank_zpsa42a99ec.jpg

Aircraft

WW1GBAlb_zpseae97ace.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

I can join with a Mirage 1/400 V 106 torpedo boat; I have Part PE for it. It's been a while since I've done a ship, so this will be a nice change of pace. Sister-ships ended up in the Polish Navy as ORP MAZUR and ORP KASZUB.

While I have relevant 1/48 aircraft, as well as a 1/48 Model T ambulance, my intention is to build them in Polish service in the 1919-1920 Polish-Soviet War.

• 3 weeks later...

Black, grey and silver seem to be the most common rigging colors people use. I haven't used ez line, but I think charcoal would probably be best, black may be a bit to stark a contrast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Tamiya jumping into WW1, although a motorized kit seems rather odd, something of a throwback to their early days.

Looking around a bit it there are several options for 1/35 WW1 armor besides the Emhar kits. Meng, Takom (never heard of them before today) and Roden have added some WW1 AFVs within the past few years.

Love to have one, but at $127 I think I'll wait until the non-motorized one comes out. Beat the Emhar kit into submission so it's not like I need one.

Still, agreed-nice to see.

Ken

I wonder if the Tamiya kit would be more accurate & easier to build than the Ehmar kit? I'm not that great with figures but nice to see some WW I stuff coming. Maybe some other manufacturers have some things in the works!

One question regarding EZ line. I bought it quite some time ago, but noticed that while you stretch it, it gets quite thinner in diameter but the tension also rises considerably. While fixing it at one end is simple, I am having quite a hard time fixing it to the other end. CA with accelerator may work but can also damage the paint job. Any suggestions?

This was my first attempt at building a biplane, some 4 years ago. EZ line seems a bit too thick to my eyes and I solved the rigging by drilling through upper wing, then filling the hole with thick CA while pulling the line through, letting it cure and then sanding back to shape...

22.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan