A-37A 604th SOS

Hello all,

This group build is giving me a reason to build a kit that I have had in my stash for a long time. It has decals for the 604th Special Ops Squadron, so it should fit into the group build.

A-3701_zps572e97a3.jpg

I will get started on it tonight.

Els

Hello all,

This group build is giving me a reason to build a kit that I have had in my stash for a long time. It has decals for the 604th Special Ops Squadron, so it should fit into the group build.

A-3701_zps572e97a3.jpg

I will get started on it tonight.

Els

Hello, Els,

That's cool! I saw a lot of A-37s in action but never knew there were some used in a special ops role. I'll have to check that out. Looking forward to seeing your model!

Cheers,

Russ

Thanks striker, I didn't know they used these in the SOS squadrons either. I have never seen the 1:1 version of the A-37 and I was surprised how small they are. I bet it was pretty fun to fly them. I like my jets to be posed in-flight so I have added the styrene and some bracing to the inside to connect it to the base.

a-3702_zps3065b6a9.jpg

Els

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to fight off the flu for the last week and today was the first time that I have felt like working on a kit.

Most of the major parts are on and now it is time to start filling some of the gaps on this kit.

a-3706_zps9681496e.jpg

a-3705_zpsb9206f98.jpg

a-3704_zpse3b2160a.jpg

I glued some thin, round, wood disc's together to make a base. There isn't much to it. I put a green wash over it, clear coated it, then I made up a decal with the info from the kit instructions (I hope they are accurate...)

a-3707_zps6de001b9.jpg

Here it is on the base.

a-3708_zps7a2a1ccc.jpg

Els

• 4 weeks later...

I had some time to throw some paint today. I ended up mixing my own camo colors because I didn't have the FS colors on hand. The greens are a little light but after I put a wash on it I think it will be fine.

a-3709_zps2ec82fbe.jpg

Tomorrow the bottom will be painted and then on to the decals.

Els

I like the look of the pilots in the cockpit. The dark green and brown parts of your camo look fine. The bright green is maybe a bit too yellow. but a blast of some dark green into the color might tone it down? I don't know.

I have to ask. What is the many armed black thing behind the model on your workbench? :)

The lighter of the two greens looked just right when I was spraying it. Once it dried it lightened up quite a bit. In person it is not as bright as in the pictures but I will have to do something with it. Luckily for me the planes in Vietnam took quite a beating and can be dirtied up.

The many armed thing in the background is actually the reason it is taking me so long to get this little plane done. On another forum I am building an Iron Man kit fighting with 3 aliens. Those are the aliens in various states of being modified/resculpted. Here is a link if you want to check it out. Iron man build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...