• 3 weeks later...

You might want to ask Bigasshamm about his A-10. He built one a couple years ago, and he aplied charcoal to the grey areas on it that gave pretty much the effect you are looking for. He took down the pics he had in the thread, but he may still have them on his HDD.

Had to delete that album sorry.

It was for the Desert Storm GB doing the euro 1 scheme. The grey I used was too light so I took some black pastel chalk rubbed onto some sandpaper. Used a stiff brush and kind of worked the chalk into the paint. Gives it a mottled look but you have to be careful with the clear cote because it can wipe away the effect if done too thick.

I can try to take a picture of it tomorrow since I'm looking right at it. Gives me an excuse to clean it and replace the jammer one of the kids broke off.

Here's the only old ones I still had on pbucket apparently. Hard to see because the crucial in progress shots of what i did are missing.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I was trying to achieve something like this

A-10A_81st_TFW_firing_cannon_1987.jpg

Looking at the grey area. Plus when I initially painted it the grey was far too light for my taste.

Anyway all I did was free paint but before gloss coat I would run the pastel chalk onto a piece of 100-200 grit sand paper. Leaves a nice black powder. Then stab the stiff brush into the powder and then stabbed that into the grey paint area in random spots and splotches. Then once I applied it I feathered it in the direction of airflow. You'll lose a lot of it when you clear coat but for me I needed to blend the grey before decals. You could do after decaling and give it a flat coat but you'll still want to give it another spray of flat or the chalk will rub off every time you touch it.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound like gibberish.

Just took these. Can see it better close with flash. Even shows the nasty fingerprint I left in the chalk prior to clear coat. Lol.

null_zps978224fb.jpg

null_zps7343f5d3.jpg

You can see how the grey is lighter and you basically just mash the chalk into the paint. No real finesse to it.

Hope this helps.

Lmk if you want picks of the chalk set but it's a very old (25yrs?) set. Just your basic art set of pastel chalks.

Edited by Bigasshammm