1/72 F-16C Texas ANG 90th Anniversary

Alrighty.... Time to start a new project, since I've finished my Phantom and the Jolly Rogers Tomcat is nearing completion too.

Now, I bought a Hasegawa 2-in-1 boxing of F-16C Texas ANG 111th FS sometime ago, but I built both birds as Aggressors (Blue Flanker and Arctic Bandit - See 'em HERE if you're interested). Since I love colourful birds, I thought it would be a waste not to build the Texas ANG 111th FS anniversary scheme. So, I bought this cheap Hasegawa "white box" F-16C.

IMG_6115_zpsca456b4f.jpg

Here's how I "hope" it would kind of look like in the end:

IMG_6117_zpsbee134c0.jpg

I will build it in-flight using mini camera tripod.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

As expected, this kit is identical to the 2-in-1 boxing that I built in the past. Right down to the shocking amount of flash. Actually, it's more like the 2-in-1 boxing was based on this older kit, plus a few additional parts (e.g. bulged MLG, big mouth intake).

IMG_6123_zps6d54cdc4.jpg

IMG_6124_zps61c84cb6.jpg

It'll be a nightmare sanding off those flashes.

Used 5-minute epoxy to glue a 1/4" domed nut to serve as anchor point for the mini camera tripod that I'm going to use for this bird.

IMG_6125_zps5a93ec7e.jpg

Glued shut the MLG. BTW, I used x-acto knife to "drill" the hole for the domed nut. Easy peasy...

IMG_6126_zps2c872bcd.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Wow! Thats a lot of flash. I haven't seen any of this on my 20 Hasegawa Viper-Kits. The tooling is becoming old and it shows.

I like the idea with the nut! A perfect solution for a quick removable, but safe way of attaching your model to a display stand or whatever can be bolted on there. It even works upside down! :woot.gif:

Edited by Lancer512

Wow! Thats a lot of flash. I haven't seen any of this on my 20 Hasegawa Viper-Kits. The tooling is becomin old any it shows.

And yet, they still have the nerve to charge ridiculous prices for this old mold, only with different decals.

Good luck on your Vipers. The jet you are doing is gorgeous. I was happy to see it at the Randolph AFB airshow a few years back.

-Jeff

I hit a minor disaster. The small rear canopy part cracked when I cut it off the sprue.

IMG_6182_zpsa7d53d81.jpg

Apart from trying to get a replacement part, I don't think there's really anything I can do there. If I can't get any replacement part, I'll probably just leave the crack there. Unsightly, I know, but I don't believe in abandoning a project just because of a small crack on the clear part.

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to buy Rob Taurus' vacform replacement canopy from HLJ, along with a couple of Hasegawa F/A-18C Golden Dragon which was on ridiculous sale (55% off!!). Hopefully they'll arrive in a couple of weeks or so...

In the meantime, this is where it's at...

IMG_6201_zps419df34e.jpg

IMG_6202_zps64f501a1.jpg

The joint between the jet intake and the lower main fuselage was supposed to have a thin panel line (based on the pics I've seen), but it was quite pronounced on the kit, so I applied highly thinned Tamiya putty there.

It's been quite a few years since I built Hasegawa F-16s, I forgot how much flash the kit has. :bandhead2:/>

IMG_6199_zpsd425e1b3.jpg

IMG_6200_zps3266da87.jpg

BTW, initially I wanted to put a pilot figure in the cockpit, but since the cockpit is way too basic, I think I'll save the pilot figure for my upcoming F-22 build instead. For this kit, I'll heavily tint the canopy.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
<...>

BTW, initially I wanted to put a pilot figure in the cockpit, but since the cockpit is way too basic, I think I'll save the pilot figure for my upcoming F-22 build instead. For this kit, I'll heavily tint the canopy.

The 1/72 F-16C kits should come with three pilot figures. Surely you could spare one for this build. :lol: Would look MUCH better than a heavily tinted canopy, I think. A pilot in the pit goes a long way to hide basic cockpits. :thumbsup:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

The 1/72 F-16C kits should come with three pilot figures. Surely you could spare one for this build. :lol:/> Would look MUCH better than a heavily tinted canopy, I think. A pilot in the pit goes a long way to hide basic cockpits. :thumbsup:/>

Actually, it only came with 1 pilot figure. I wonder if you had it confused with the Hasegawa "D" Hornet kits? From memory, those came with 3 pilot figures: 2 seated, and 1 standing up.

I agree with you though that putting pilot figure in the cockpit would look better. I might look through my stash. If there's spare pilot figures in the stash that I forgot about, then I'll put one in this one. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure (just checked my boxings) there should be three pilots. One on the sprue B (with the lower fuselage) included in all F-16 kits and one one the small sprue G that contains some F-16C/D specific parts (AIM-120, some launch rails and a main wheel). Sprue G is included twice, giving you a grand total of three pilots per F-16C boxing.

The one on sprue B has an older style of helmet with the tightening nut for the visors, while the pilots(s) on sprue G has a more modern helmet.

Are you in the US? I have the hase 1/72 f-16i, & could spare the pilots if you need them

I live in Australia, actually. Don't worry about it. Turns out I've got a few spare figures in the stash that I forgot about. Thanks for the offer, though. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure (just checked my boxings) there should be three pilots. One on the sprue B (with the lower fuselage) included in all F-16 kits and one one the small sprue G that contains some F-16C/D specific parts (AIM-120, some launch rails and a main wheel). Sprue G is included twice, giving you a grand total of three pilots per F-16C boxing.

The one on sprue B has an older style of helmet with the tightening nut for the visors, while the pilots(s) on sprue G has a more modern helmet.

The kit I have must be an older one. It only has 5 sprues: A thru E (E being the clear parts sprue). The one you described matched my 2-in-1 Texas ANG boxing that I built a few years ago into the twin aggressors I mentioned at the start of this thread. The year on both boxes were 2008, though.

Anyhow, I found a few spare pilot figures in the stash, so I'm definitely putting one in the cockpit rather than tinting the canopy.

Moritz, I have a Hase F-16 (I think it´s the CJ-version) that comes with three pilots. The additional two pilots are sitting on a sprue with a HARM-missile, and since you need two missiles for this particular F-16 (well, not me, as I will do an adversary bird) you end up with two additional pilots.

HAJO

^ ANG stands for Air National Guard.

Moritz, I have a Hase F-16 (I think it´s the CJ-version) that comes with three pilots. The additional two pilots are sitting on a sprue with a HARM-missile, and since you need two missiles for this particular F-16 (well, not me, as I will do an adversary bird) you end up with two additional pilots.

The pilots are on the AMRAAM, launcher and MLG wheel sprue (G). HARMs are on yet another sprue (J), which contains a HARM, the necessary pylon adapter and an HTS pod.

HERE'S a diagram showing the contents of the F-16CJ kit, HERE'S one for the kit Mike uses for this build.

I've been working on this project on and off, but too lazy to take pics. Here's where it's at right now.

IMG_6210_zps88e68ce6.jpg

Gonna have to putty up those seam lines...

IMG_6209_zpsd70afcff.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress guys. I've been chipping away at this very very slowly. Also, I've been quite lazy in taking pics.

Since last update, I finally got the replacement vacform canopy that I ordered from HLJ, but after dry-fitting, I decided not to use it. I don't know why, but the fit was quite poor. It could just be me not knowing how to use vacform canopies. I sprayed the inside of the original rear part of the canopy with Tamiya Smoke, but not the main canopy.

IMG_6212_zps3137ed9d.jpg

I've also installed the jet turbine. I painted the turbine using Mr Metal Colour (Dark Iron + Aluminium @ 2:1 ratio).

IMG_6215_zpsb08910b0.jpg

Also puttied up and sanded the seam lines between the wings and main fuselage...

IMG_6216_zps599fca72.jpg

Same with the bottom part.... Also sprayed LifeColor matt white as some kind of prime... Not exactly the best paint for priming, I s'pose... LOL! :woot.gif:

IMG_6217_zpsbd9ff8af.jpg

'Later!

Edited by Mike C

Progress has been slow. So far, the only pic worth posting is of the burner can.

IMG_6229_zpsd2317700.jpg

I used Mr Metal Color Dark Iron mixed with Aluminum (2:1 ratio) for the exhaust petals, then I used a paint brush to paint the burner can bit with Mr Metal Color Dark Iron. After leaving it for a couple of days, I masked off the petals then sprayed burner rings with more Dark Iron, then polished, then sprayed with Tamiya Clear Blue.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C
  • 1 month later...

Apologies for the lack of update. I've been away on overseas holiday since 18 Dec, and was only back home last week, greeted by a terrible heat wave in Melbourne. I only managed to put in some bench time in the past few days.

Vert stab is sprayed, ready for decaling. I don't think I'm gonna bother with a gloss clear since Gunze Aqueous H329 is already very glossy.

IMG_6262_zpsa14356c4.jpg

IMG_6263_zps910ac821.jpg

Horizontal stabs are all sprayed with Gunze Aqueous yellow H329.

IMG_6265_zps5f24456f.jpg

Bottom parts of the wings all painted up with Gunze Aqueous yellow H329.

IMG_6264_zps9599b4c3.jpg

I'll need to mask and spray the leading edges of the wings and horizontal stabs with FS36320, which will be tricky.

'Later!

Edited by Mike C