Post Apocalyptic Group Build  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to go beyond Thunderdome?

• Yes! Bring on the zombie machines!
    • Maybe. I need to check my stash.
    • No. I only do real world. I'll do this after the end of the world.

While going through and cleaning out some beyond repair kits, I thought about mashing together some bits to make a sorta post apocalyptic war / scavenged together war bird. Then I thought it may be a good idea for a GB. No rules, you can make a vehicle, aircraft or any hybrid in between for your Frankenstein-esque creation. Would anyone be interested?

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Well, if the beasties have to be kitbashed, what does that do for those who want to build OOB models such as a Mad Max V-8 Interceptor or a T2 Hunter Killer (both available as kits). Or what about doing an A-10 from Terminator Salvation? The criteria needs to be opened up a bit IMHO.

• 2 years later...

So, what happened to the post apocalyptic build? Haven't touched a kit in 15(?) years and wanted to get back into it. But without wanting to start detailing the heck out of something. Happened to see a bunch of zombie dioramas via Google, then zombie dioramas via YouTube and I was off and running. Don't understand how to post photos, but one painting shows a man walking by a downed helicopter that's been there awhile. Looking at using Testors Bell Ranger in 1/32nd scale....maybe a Cobra or Seahawk instead? Tearing apart/modifying an old Testors 1/35th scale Hummer I built years ago along with modifying military figures so they're in civilian clothes. Plan on casting copies of them to save time. Waiting for a 1/32nd VW van and school bus to arrive. And there are a lot of figures available as survivors or zombies, such as from Not Dead Yet, Black Dog and Masterbox with the woman on a motorcycle (not provided) and 4 zombies. From Meng, there's ice chests, road barriers, etc. in 1/35th scale. And Miniart has a lot of buildings that could and have been used. And there's lots of photos of Russian aircraft rusting away at old airfields, so why not do one of an American aircraft with survivors walking by it?

Could you do a scene of an abandoned vehicle(s) as though the apocalypse came and they couldn't be used anymore or an EMP or something caused them to be useless? I am thinking abandoned and overgrown cars on a roadway, or a plane or military vehicle in a similar state of affairs. In other words does it have to be Frankensteined?

No idea what you mean by Frankenstein cars/trucks....you thinking Mad Max lookin' vehicles? I'd say no. Google apocalypse drawings and there different sections/options you can chose from....vehicles, people, cities, etc. There's a lot of abandoned vehicles in cities drawings....think of the movie I Am Legend where Will Smith lives in NYC and the way it looked thru out the movie.

No idea what you mean by Frankenstein cars/trucks....you thinking Mad Max lookin' vehicles? I'd say no.

I was thinking movies/TV series where, out of necessity or a lack of options after some apocalyptic event, humans were forced to rob and combine parts and pieces from various cars/trucks/military vehicles etc to make one serviceable vehicle or a vehicle built to defend their section of they city or region. Hence "Frankenstein".

No idea what you mean by Frankenstein cars/trucks....you thinking Mad Max lookin' vehicles? I'd say no. Google apocalypse drawings and there different sections/options you can chose from....vehicles, people, cities, etc. There's a lot of abandoned vehicles in cities drawings....think of the movie I Am Legend where Will Smith lives in NYC and the way it looked thru out the movie.

So this is a post apocalyptic GB but mad max vehicles aren't allowed?

I'll have to pass then.

Resurrection! Having gone through the comments, I think I would include any vehicle (Air, land or sea) that is either, an OOB post apocalyptic kit or a kit bash.

I would have to be proper post apocalyptic though. Something that has been bashed together either in a movie (think Mad Max, but only the stuff that was bashed together, so a Holden HQ Panel Van wouldn't count) or from different models (think an Su-25 with A-10 engines or a Viper with Phantom horizontal stabs for example). You could go cross subject like strapping a 747 engine on a rig or something like that.

I kinda dig the idea and will do it regardless of this GB getting up. Would be a cool way of killing some shelf queens and using some imagination. Imagine not having to worry about seamlines!!!

Could you do a scene of an abandoned vehicle(s) as though the apocalypse came and they couldn't be used anymore or an EMP or something caused them to be useless? I am thinking abandoned and overgrown cars on a roadway, or a plane or military vehicle in a similar state of affairs. In other words does it have to be Frankensteined?

I think this should be included. Would be some cool dios coming out

• 1 month later...

Okay.....has anyone been doing anything since this subject was brought up? Took a Italeri Humvee w/tow that I built about 20 years ago, totally apart. Going to make it look like it was sold as military surplus, now civilianized. Hole for tow has been filled, along with cutting open the hatch for cargo area. All 4 doors have been removed and found out I need to make a door frame for them along with adding additional detail to seating/cargo area. Not sure if I'm going to come up with new military or custom civilian seats, but they'll have at least seat belts.

Tamiya's WW 2 German bicycle is completed along with altering/modifying a tree (Woodland Scenics). Will be adding a bicycle rack & basket to it along with a backpack and maybe some supplies on the bike. Tamiya WW 2 German horse set, with head repositioned and plan on making a western style saddle out of Milliput. Have several Tamiya WW 2 American figures also modified. Trying to get them to look like they're people in civilian clothing. ATTEMPTING to give one of the figures long hair with Milliput, so he looks like a kind of hippie....yeah, I'm that old and remember seeing hippies back in the day. However, the head looks more like it's got one of those Alien things sitting on his head. Learn and live. Also almost built is Italeri's BMW R75 WW 2 German motorcycle w/side car. Opened cargo hatch on sidecar w/plan to add supplies inside that area along with brake/gas, etc. lines. via Google/YouTube, found out that these motorcycles also pulled a small trailer during the war. Be awhile before scratch building one of those.

Hardest part was finding current 1/35th scale vehicles such as cars, pickup trucks, etc.....which basically don't exist except for Meng's 2 pickup trucks which are a bit pricey for me at $30 or so each. But then discovered die cast which run $6 to $12 plus shipping. Bought 4 VW buses which are a combination of metal & plastic. Interior detail needs to be worked on, including making a mold and recasting the various seats. Only the right side door to rear passenger area opens. The other door along with driver/passenger door are a combo of metal and plastic. Top part of doors (window/frame area) is metal, while doors are plastic. Once they're cut apart and detail added (none provided), will make a mold of them as I have 3 others to play with. Also adding a roof rack to all of them, but will NOT show fuel drums on roof or 500 pounds of steel beams on front bumper area for a zombie killer. Trying to keep this as realistic as possible. One piece for all windows and not sure how I'll deal with that yet. But the kit came apart with no trouble except for glass area, which is when I used a Dremel to grind away some of the interior metal posts which held the glass in place.

Two Chevy Astro vans which look pretty good and one's already taken apart. Smoked glass and again, some Dremel use getting 1 piece glass out of body. And again, body is metal, rest is plastic. Has a dashboard/steering wheel and driver/passenger seats are okay, rest seems totally fictional. New seats, belts, etc. to be cast/copies added. Comes with plastic roof rack which will be replaced.

Worse of the die cast stuff are the Chevy/Ford pickups.....how about truck beds that are maybe 1' deep in real life? Broke chassis on Ford while taking it apart due to my carelessness. Metal body, rest is plastic. There is basically NO chassis detailing (motor, drive train, exhaust, etc. on ANY of these vehicles I bought, but not going to worry about that unless I want to do a crashed one laying on its side.   

Finding women to use has been the hardest part. Miniart has 2 sets, while there are other companies also providing resin/metal zombie/apocalypse survivors that range from $11 to $20 each that I'll make molds of, then make copies. Plan on altering figures so everyone looks different along with adding different resin heads. From Walmart/Michaels, got several boards that will serve as bases for the dioramas. Here are some dioramas I found via Google. Couldn't load any of the end of the world paintings due to band width or something like that. And there's some good dioramas on YouTube. I used zombie diorama for my search.  

1.jpg

Edited by willc453
update