Post Apocalyptic Group Build  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to go beyond Thunderdome?

• Yes! Bring on the zombie machines!
    • Maybe. I need to check my stash.
    • No. I only do real world. I'll do this after the end of the world.

• 1 month later...

Just back from being in VA hospital for 3 weeks. Here are some photos of figures I'd like to do via Pinterest, with me trying to avoid the typical T&A look of women in a zombie diorama. Looking at clothing, weapons, hair style, etc. Hope to start casting copies of the few women figures I do have along with adding resin heads.

survivor woman--13.jpg

survivor woman--14.jpg

• 4 months later...

Basically got done with VA hospital in mid/late January and in the mean time, there was the smell of burning plastic from my debit card and Evil Bay. But at least Google are  free and really surprised how many images are there that you can use in a diorama, along with YouTube how to videos. FINALLY got modeling desk not only cleared off, but organized.  :woo:  Here are some of the kits I've got in my stash now and Google images I'll be using:

1 35 cowgirl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now waiting for 2 part silicone mold stuff via Micro Mark  to arrive, hopefully by next week. Had ordered a different brand via Amazon, but seller was running a scam. Got my money back on the purchase, but not mailing costs. Better something than nothing. In mean time, finished a merry go round, have a 3 seater swing set almost done...need some fine chain for that, forgetting to get some when I was at Hobby Lobby earlier today. And working on a jungle gym. Earlier this year turned in a roll of film to Walgreens only to find out they don't process in house any more....at least that one. But there were still 2 that did.....until I went down there about a month or so later and they don't do it anymore either. So waiting for film to come back (hopefully) by this coming Friday and it'll be on a cd which I hope will make things easier posting photos here. In the mean time, stuff keeps coming in from Ebay:

1 32 diecast Jada 1973 Bronco.jpg

1 32 VW T2 van.jpg

Ok, if I want to build a diorama of a post nuclear apocalypse, how do I make my people glow?   (I once served in an artillery unit (not as a gun bunny, but as the Bn NBC puke) - we had a Nuc mission and our motto was "Nuc 'em 'till they glow then shot 'em in the dark!)

Don't know about having 'em actually glow in the dark, but I've always figured nuked people/mutants glowed a greenish/yellow kind of color from all those mind rotting comic books I read as a kid.....except for those who got hit by gamma rays like The Fantastic Four, The Hulk, etc. Went to Evilbay and using green florescent paint for my search, there's actually a pen made for this sort of thing. Or how about using what the plane people call slime green which is a yellowish/greenish color used on the various formation light panels(?) on the tail/fuselage? That's available as a paint, but don't remember it's exact name. Here's a diorama found on Google and it sort of, kind of looks like the modeler put an led under the greenish toxic waste to give it that glowing, I've been nuked look.

police car modified--1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found another web site, 1 32 Zombie Modelers Social Club, earlier this year and got comments & links to other figures I can use. Still getting surprised by the number of different companies producing figures that I can use as civilians as is. Have several boxes of Zvezda's Russian anti-terrorist team that with very little modification, can look like basically any U.S. swat team. I'd give it 5 stars, but only giving it 4. That's because all the weapons they show on the box art is actually molded as part of the figures hands? But you also get the plastic face shields which is a really nice touch. Then there's Meng's African Freedom Fighters set. These guys can be used as is, though don't think anyone's going to be running around with a rpg. To make additional civilians, someone suggested I replace the heads with resin ones which was something I hadn't thought of. The shield the one cop is using is simply too thick, but kind of neat it has a tigers face on the front of it.

1 35 Zvesda Russian anti-terrorist cops.jpg

1 35 Trumpeter African freedom fighters.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally solved my lack of women. Got about 8 boxes Master Box's French Resistance & their Pinup sets. Plan on sanding off their clothes and either painting them on or using Milliput, something I haven't done before. Can't get pinups to load. Sorry.

1 35 Master Box French Resistance----3 sets of figures, not 1.jpg

Edited by willc453
  • 5 months later...

Been busy building a bunch of things to use in my zombie/apocalypse dioramas. Currently working on building 3 dioramas: The Fountain, Childhood Forgotten and The Alley...at least that's what I'm going to call 'em. Find I keep my modeling mojo up by skipping between these 3. The fountains base was made by using the inside of a large sour cream lid, with the small ones from a smaller sour scream lid. The base for the fountain and the fountains themselves are from a plastic wine glass cut to size, along with some sheet styrene. Used a spray can of Krylon stone fine texture on the main part of the fountain to see how it'd look. Also, had never used canned spray paint before...it's always been my airbrush. Even though not finished being painted, the base looks great...kind of like a flat granite color. Thinking of painting the rest of the fountain steel, then black, then rub some of the black off and add rust streaks to it. In attempting to hollow out the 2nd level of the base, it broke on me twice! Used JB Weld to hold the pieces together and it actually looks better with the cracks as I'll be adding at least 1 tree and some bushes growing from these cracks. Fountain diameter is 6" and 6-7" high. Idea for fountain from photos of one in NYC. Built a 3/4" hexagonal square using styrene and once I have at least 6 castings made from plaster of paris, will make a silicone mold of them as I figure I'll need several dozen to have around the fountain. There will be a woman with her dog, pack and weapon leaning against this empty/over grown fountain. Been checking Ebay for miniature children praying who will be on the 1st level with an angel on the 2nd. Which will be weathered of course. For women, have the Master Box pinup set, but all but one is wearing high heels, so will be attempting to make molds from Miniarts Afrika Korps....using the parts of the legs from the knee down. From what I measured, they should match up with little trouble. At least that's my game plan.

The fence in Childhood Lost is made from bug screen and tube styrene. Merry go round from styrene and for the handles, solder. Still haven't finished assembling the monkey bars/

jungle gym and forgot to add dinosaur "horsey" rides when I took the photo. Have what I need to build a static grass applicator, but just haven't gotten to assembling everything. This diorama measures 11x14 inches.

Will post The Alley separately as I need to clear off my modeling desk to take a photo of it. Also tape the beginning of the building (foamboard), along with using a sheet of cork which I hope will realistically represent asphalt. I have built a dumpster and grease bin, but none of this stuff is painted. Looking at a 3 story tall building, with 2 set of stairs. I can buy Trumpeters stairs set, but they're $15 each, so going to try making my own as I saw a Japanese modeler do it. There is no lhs and the local gamers store carries a VERY limited amount of styrene, so everything is being bought via the net which slows me down at times.

Well, WAS going to post photos of everything I've been talking about, but my files are too big. Now have to figure how to downsize them or post them somewhere online. Only online photo storage I've used is Flicker and don't know yet if they'll post here. Comments/thoughts/suggestions welcomed.