1/48 Kinetic GRUMMAN EA-6B Prowler

Only recently started this build and got the invitation from David to join the group build. Hi everyone.

Here's the box and decals ...

IMG_9033.jpg

I've got to the stage where the wingroots (the bad part of the kits) are attached to the fuselage sides, the fuselage halves are together and the cockpit is in ....

IMG_9026.jpg

IMG_9025.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg

A fair amount of filling and sanding was required around the wingroots and engine exhausts. Also, you'll see this underside panel has needed some filling (not as bad as it looks here though!).

And, I'm modelling the kit with wings unfolded which required some trimming and use of some plasticard for supporting struts as can be seen here ...

IMG_9027.jpg

I've done some work on the seats and have started the fuel tanks and pods but no pics yet.

So that's where I am so far.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Cooper

I've been spending some time rubbing down all the filler and the result is OK. I've also added the various antenna and aerials and nav lights and the seats are ready for decals and weathering. Some work has been done on fuel tanks and pods. And I'm sticking together those tricky canopy halves. Here are the pics .....

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper

Seats are finished and fitted. Canopy halves are glued and just need a little filler along the joints (slightly fiddly!). The drop tanks are finished apart from another coat of varnish, and decals are being applied to the pods. These are the fightertown decals - very good in terms of how they apply but there are a few mistakes (in that there are too many right facing arrows and not enough left facing arrows for the pods. I've applied a couple backward so the arrow points in the right direction as the text can't really be read anyway.

Here are the pics ....

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9047.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

UPDATE

Managed to make some progress today. Back to work tomorrow so it'll slow down a little again then. Canopy is now fitted and masked, pre-shade was applied and I've just finished applying the underside light gray coat.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9058.jpg

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9063.jpg

Thanks Steve

Today's update .... Main camo colours are now done. Next is the nose cone, air brakes (blue), engine intakes (blue), landing gear bays and walk ways.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

Edited by Ian Cooper

I've just realised - thankfully in time before applying any decals - that I haven't painted the walkways on top the inboard wing sections. Can anyone recommend a good colour to use for US Navy walkways (preferrably in Tamiya Acrylic!)?

Cheers

Ian

The aircraft here ... LINK .... isn't the one I'm recreating but it is a Navy CAG bird with a similar paint scheme in a similar 'state' to the general paint job I've applied. I don't have any "from the top" photos on the VAQ-130 CAG bird so I'll be assuming (possibly not safely) that it'll be along the lines of this one, in the linked photo. It'll add further interest to the top side of the model too so I'll go for it!

Ian

Thanks Spectre!

Decals are now on - another gloss coat to follow then panel wash. Then finishing the fiddly bits - gear, gear doors - and then it'll be done .... hopefully before 31 December!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...