Let's have some more FUNNNNNN!!!

If you could persuade the Cable boys to bring back a cancelled TV show what would you suggest they bring back. USA, Syfy, TNT, TBS, Aspire, et al.

I'd like to see seaQuest DSV, Sliders, Thunderbirds, Call to Glory, Super carrier,....and for some weird, crazy reason DAMW...CPO Sharkey.

,and from deeeep in the archives Sky King and Steve Canyon. Space 1999 is sitting on the fence.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Major Dad,

Agree, Seaquest...might be hard to continue where they left off, two crew members left floatring on a raft on an aliem planet.

Thunderbirds

throw in:

Captain Scarlet

Fireball XL5 (update is badly needed)

Startrek Enterprise

Here's some old ones...

Navy Log

Gallant men

The Lieutenant

The Swamp Fox

Babylon 5

I'd agree to that particularly because they kind of got screwed over in the fourth season by the network and deserve a shot at ending it properly as they had planned instead of cramming too much into a shorter period of time.

As for some of the others, I might agree to bringing them back under certain provisions:

Seaquest:

Yes, but do things entirely different from the second season onward. The first season of that show was great and I really enjoyed it, but too many key characters had left after the first season and the following seasons were weaker for it. I couldn't be bothered to stay with it through the entire second season.

Star Trek Enterprise:

OK, but handle that whole Xindi thing a bit differently, it was too much and too long for a sub plot in a series TV show. Also get rid of that cheesy theme song; Star Trek shows had survived quite well, thank you very much, without theme songs up to then.

Star Trek Enterprise:

OK, but handle that whole Xindi thing a bit differently, it was too much and too long for a sub plot in a series TV show. Also get rid of that cheesy theme song; Star Trek shows had survived quite well, thank you very much, without theme songs up to then.

Star Trek Enterprise got screwed by circumstances in an almost a perfect storm kind of way, to wit:

1. Tried to do something a little bit different to bring freshness to the franchise. IMO it worked, but only recently, as people have re-evaluated the series on DVD, is it being appreciated. When it was on the air, entrenched minded folks were quick to condemn it. Trek producers were trying to write a more serious show, with long story arcs and militaristic story lines, told from the perspective of a crew serving in a cramped, utilitarian vessel on the edges of hostile space. This was very different from the neat episodic hotel lounge utopia of TNG. Many traditional Trek viewers did not like the change in emphasis from exploration to darker military and political conflict and did not support the show.

2. Trek Burnout: It was at the end of TNG, DS9, and VOY. Folks needed a break.

3. Studio suits: ST Voyager was the launch and flagship franchise of UPN, but the network changed management over the years and rebranded itself in an attempt to draw a younger audience. Star Trek Enterprise, in spite of its slightly different approach, was produced by the same team as had done TNG, DS9, and Voyager. It was clearly a legacy type program that, despite its documented shortcomings, should have appealed to folks that had grown up with Trek. Its lukewarm reception, combined with the network's new demographic target, put it clearly out of place. The suits wanted it gone, and did everything they could to marginalize it. They just "didn't get it." They moved the show around to different nights, pre-empted the show for sporting events, and tried to have the writing changed to focus on a younger audience. They even wanted the producers to write in scenes to highlight up and coming musical acts.

IMO, if you are going to do a show that chronicles the origins of the Federation, before the somewhat stabilized vision of the galaxy represented in the TOS era and TNG era, you have to deal with the conflict and the politics. They were just getting rolling with that in season 3 and 4. Planned for season 5 was the NX-01 refit with the secondary hull and increased power and weapons. Season 6 and 7 could have introduced and told the story of the Romulan War up until the establishment of the Neutral Zone. That would have wrapped up the series nicely and connected it with TOS.

They are not going to be able to bring back ST:Enterprise. The actors have moved on. But there is room for a new show, with one of the other NX class ships, maybe Atlantis NX-05, and a new crew, during the same general time period, that COULD tell the story of the Romulan War and early conflicts with the Klingons.

My vote is for ST:Atlantis

Edited by DutyCat

I think the biggest issue with ENT was that there was just so much that didn't fit with established canon 'facts'.

Like what, aside from the introduction of the Borg? I realize there are a lot of things going on that were never referred to in other Star Trek series, but that is bound to be the case when writing new material.

I haven't watched it all yet, so I don't know. I have it all on DVD, but I am just a few episodes into season 2. Except for a few clunky episodes, so far it is really good. I hear that season 1 is the worst, so if that is the case, then it is going to be excellent from here on out.