Tamiya P-51 Diorama 1/48

Hi all,

Finally some quick pictures of my 3rd model. My second model was a bare metal Mustang, but someone on the forum told me you need to keep the balance and also have a camouflaged Mustang. So here it is... It represents the second of three aircrafts named "The Shillelagh" assigned to the Yoxford Boys 357th. I could not find any decals of this aircraft so I thought it would be nice to depict this aircraft and make something not often seen. I very much like the colour scheme of the well known "Frenesi", and this one comes close.

I used the leftovers from the Aires set of my previous Mustang (basically only the gun bays), and also installed a working engine with RR Merlin sound and lights. This set comes from the Dynamic Scale Modelling website, and it is a very nice set. The sound matches exactly the engine RPM. The lights give a real "early morning mission departure" feeling in the dark.

The Jeep is Hasegawa's, and the battery cart is from Revell. All the rest is scratch built or so much adjusted that it became a scratch built.

Feel free to comment, I'm not calling it finished, but it's close to, so any adjustments can still be made. I still don't like how the battery cart cable goes into the fuselage, it does not look natural. And the Jeep wheels can receive a little more dirt...

DSCN1038a_zps1351a451.jpg

DSCN1047a_zpsc7daa71c.jpg

DSCN1045a_zps96f759ba.jpg

DSCN1044a_zps7dbf7338.jpg

DSCN1043a_zps85e2cf05.jpg

DSCN1042a_zpscffe1c07.jpg

DSCN1041a_zps3057fdc7.jpg

DSCN1040a_zpsc97026b5.jpg

DSCN1037a_zps5754010e.jpg

DSCN1036a_zpsc62c6ad8.jpg

Thanks!

The base is just a thin wooden plate to cover the electronics underneath, and covered with Tamiya concrete texture paint. A little bit of sculpting with a ruler to simulate "concrete pouring faults", some scribing to simulate divisions and cracks, a little bit of greys and browns airbrushed on and some oil stains. That's it. The little hill is shaped with styrofoam and then covered with a plaster/white glue mix. Again airbrushed and dry brushed after the grass was sprinkled on.

I can really recommend the Tamiya texture paint; the concrete that is, I didn't try the other texture effects in their range.

Edited by piper19