Used some Lifecolor acrylics on a 1/32 Viper I'm building and sanded as per normal with with ultra fine Tamiya sandpaper (2000 grit). In the past, this has proved sufficient to get a nice shiny finish when I lay down some future (on Tamiya or Mr Color acrylics). With Lifecolor though, it's almost as if the paints are absorbing the Future. The finish is smooth enough, however there is a lack of shine or polish. Any ideas as to the problem? Do I need to go finer on the grit? Are Lifecolor paints absorbent? Is my future past its use by date? Frustrating to say the least.

Did you just put down one coat? You may simply need a second or third. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and blame Future/Pledge

I haven't looked at cured Lifecolor under a microscope but it may indeed be quite porous.

A good close-up picture of the surface before sanding would be a help, with one of the surface after spraying with Future.

Looks like it's time for another phone call to S.C. Johnson. sigh.

Here you go. The tailfin is sanded and sans Future. The wing has had one coat of future applied.

DSC_0220_zpsdc5393b3.jpg

As you can see, there is minimal if any difference.

Did you just put down one coat? You may simply need a second or third. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and blame Future/Pledge

I haven't looked at cured Lifecolor under a microscope but it may indeed be quite porous.

I've found when using Future over Lifecolour that you need a few coats. I also let it cure for at least a day before application.

I'll give it a try tonight. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but... Why don't you try using Tamiya's gloss clear, or even LifeColor's own gloss clear? I never have problems spraying Tamiya gloss clear over LifeColor matt. Most of the time, I only need 2 layers.

You need more than one coat I find with lifecolor, also can make the colours darker, but reverts back when you add a matt coat after.

Julien

This indicates that the paint surface is porous, even after buffing. Does anyone know what the solvent system for Lifecolor is? Surface porosity can be increased by use of a marginally compatible thinning solvent.

It also sounds as if Lifecolor may need to be applied in a wetter coat, or at a lower airbrush pressure.

Does anyone know what the solvent system for Lifecolor is?

I think it might be water-based. The thinner almost has no smell at all, except for a very slight hint of (I think) retardant. I usually thin LifeColor with demineralized water.

It also sounds as if Lifecolor may need to be applied in a wetter coat, or at a lower airbrush pressure.

I think so. I normally spray pretty wet coat. Once dried, sand a bit with 1200-grit, then spray again. Repeat the process until I build up at least 3-4 layers, depending on the colour (5+ for more translucent colour such as white).

And I normally spray at 12Psi, using gravity-fed airbrush.