F-14A Jolly Rogers 1980's

Phew! I finally finished this project. It didn't take that long, but with the amount of effort that I had put into this building this kit, it felt like a very long time. Here's the WIP thread.

I have always wanted to build a Jolly Rogers bird, especially a Tomcat. But being a somewhat lazy and stingy modeler, I waited until Academy released their special edition Jolly Rogers boxing a few years ago, with the fantastic Cartograf decals. Although all the reviews I've read of the kit all said it was pretty bad, I still bought it anyway because of the price. Was it worth it? I think so. Sure it's got lots of issues, but they can be overcome with a bit of patience (and tons of putty and elbow grease!!! :woot.gif:). I'm quite happy with the end result.

Will I build another Academy F-14? Depends. Yes for in-flight, but No for wheels down.

I initially wanted to build this wheels down, but since Academy completely stuffed up the wheel bay (there was probably literally a dozen ejection pin marks - see my WIP thread), I decided to build this bird in-flight. But I can't be bothered with putting pilot figures in the cockpit. Just pretend that it's remote controlled. OK? If that still bothers you, well... tough! :woot.gif:

IMG_6133_zpsba03e6f8.jpg

IMG_6160_zps70d6b78d.jpg

I made a few "boo boos", but hey... it's a constant learning process, isn't it? ;)

As is my habit, here's the list of paint that I used to paint and weather the bird:

- Overall coat: Gunze Aqueous H315 (FS16440) - this paint is very glossy, and quite a bit more translucent than Gunze's semi-gloss greys

- Pre-shading: Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey

- Wing bladder seal: Gunze Aqueous FS36118

- Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black

- Missiles' body: Gunze Aqueous Gloss White

- Burner cans: 3 different metallics from Mr Metal Color range. Dark Iron, Iron, and mixture of Dark Iron + Aluminium (which ended up the same colour as Stainless!! :bandhead2:)

- Leading edge of the vertical stabs: Gunze Aqueous H311 FS36622

- Gloss coat: Gunze Aqueous gloss clear

- Weathering: oil wash and a bit of Tamiya Smoke

- Finishing coat: Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear

IMG_6141_zps6e6f1484.jpg

IMG_6147_zpsd0c7196d.jpg

IMG_6159_zpsdd7e9be9.jpg

IMG_6161_zpsc522ea21.jpg

IMG_6163_zpseb77474f.jpg

IMG_6164_zpsef747ef5.jpg

IMG_6166_zps3b921d96.jpg

IMG_6173_zpsd846088c.jpg

BTW, the stand is Academy's Display Stand.

Continued...

Edited by Mike C